Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-04-2014, 13:42   #16

Re: Coleman gone from Southport

Silly leaving southport until he found another job, jimmy bell left too so they must have something lined up then, good luck too them both they did wonders at Stanley, but think they would have been best staying put with southport, they could have got them into the league!!
Paz1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-04-2014, 15:51   #17
God Member

[QUOTE=Paz1976;1104518[I]]...they could have got them into the league!![/[/I]QUOTE]

I don't think anyone, including Professor Coleman, would argue with that. But the point that some of the Southport fans were making is that their chairman is not willing to pay the price of achieving League status. If true, that's presumably why the Professor resigned.
On the other hand, what is equally true is that (a) the chairman, like anyone, is entitled to decide what to do with his money and (b) putting money into a club does not guarantee League status [Torquay have been recently bankrolled by a lottery winner and his widow].
This was, is, and will be the way in football.
The only thing we can do about it is to enjoy Stanley's achievements in the League while they last (and even after that carry on supporting them).
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 16:03   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAV007 View Post
You couldn't be more wrong and disrespectful.
The club statement on their website is bitchy.

Please go on port chat southport fans forum and see for yourself

I read he was going to sit down with the Southport chairman once the season was over, I can only assume the conversation didn't work out.
I expect Coley asked the chairman to go full time?
I expect Coley asked the chairman to go full time?........ I think it was more like
I expect Coley asked the chairman to go f#ck himself?
Chubbyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 17:54   #19
God Member

Dan Jewell tweeted this a couple of hours ago:

John Coleman new frontrunner for Tranmere Rovers job | Sackrace Football News

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 20:20   #20

Given what Coleman achieved for us, we all have an interest in what he's up to now. However, it's history for our club now and not sure why the recent goings on at Southport should merit 2 pages of posts. He's irrelevant to our future.
Jeg Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2014, 22:40   #21

He's 1/2 on for the Tranmere job.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:20   #22
God Member

If he lands the Tranmere job then no disrespect to us or Rochdale then that is biggest job in terms of size but also steadying the ship to date for the dynamic duo.

One thing I can give and still keep: my word.

SFFS
Pendle Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 05:51   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeg Red View Post
Given what Coleman achieved for us, we all have an interest in what he's up to now. However, it's history for our club now and not sure why the recent goings on at Southport should merit 2 pages of posts. He's irrelevant to our future.
When has anything being irrelevant been relevant on here?

You ever seen the McConville thread?
baldy, Redraine, SamF and 2 others like this.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 06:23   #24

Agreed - would love to see them do well and Tranmere would be their dream post.
Old 01-05-2014, 11:04   #25
Senior Member+

JOHN COLEMAN has lifted the lid on his departure from Southport and the former manager feels he “didn't have much choice” in leaving the club.

Coleman guided Southport clear of relegation from the Conference and left the club with assistant manager Jimmy Bell on Tuesday after a meeting with chairman Charlie Clapham.

A statement released by Southport claimed Coleman's “style of touchline behaviour” towards referees and assistants, a “disaster” of an away form and his desire to manage in the Football League added to the parting.

But Coleman, who took charge of the Sandgrounders in December, has reacted to the allegations.

“I didn't have much choice but I agreed with (Charlie) that if he didn't think he could have a workable relationship with me then it was best to end it now rather than fall out somewhere down the line,” said Coleman.

“We had hardly spoke in the last couple of weeks and I was keen to speak to him about the team.

“That meeting was pushed back to this week. From that, I probably should have seen that the writing was on the wall.

“I think it was just our personalities weren't going to match. I've got no problem with that.

“I've never been sent to the stands. I'm just passionate. It's always been like that and I'm not likely to change now because that's the way I am.

“There's been speculation surrounding me. One thing I will say is I did have the opportunity to go for an interview for Wrexham but I can categorically state I never went.

“One, because I wasn't going to go behind Southport's back. Two, because I didn't want to leave the club in a lurch.

“That's a fact and they're the reasons why I didn't go for the interview. That could have been a good job for myself but the fact is I didn't go for it.”

The statement made clear Coleman's ambition to manage in the leagues above, and the former boss insists that's only natural for anyone in the business.

“It's no secret I do want to go back into full-time management,” said Coleman.

“Anyone who has encountered full-time management in the Football League wants to go back. It's as simple as that.

“If I could've done that with Southport then that would have been great, but I've got no qualms about what's happened.”

Southport won only once away from Merseyrail Community Stadium all season – their first game on the road at Hyde in August.

They finished 18th and survived the drop by two points, largely thanks to their home form.

The statement has prompted a reaction from Southport fans that disagree with the way the departure has been handled, but Coleman isn't concerning himself with its wording.

“I don't really think much about it really,” he said.

“I've got no problems with Charlie, no problems with the club, and I wish them all the best.

“It's possibly misguided in what it said but we're just not on the same page when it comes to football.

“When it comes to football, you've got two opinionated people. It's just one of them things. That's football, isn't it?”

http://www.portchat.net/viewtopic.php?t=29882

Last edited by DAV007; 01-05-2014 at 11:10.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:59   #26
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by smobile View Post
When has anything being irrelevant been relevant on here?

You ever seen the McConville thread?
Nice one smobile.....
I like the relevant point that you make about the relative relevance or irrelevance about the relatively irrelelevant material on the related McConville thread......

hmmmmm.....might revisit the said relevant thread.....
DAV007, smobile and Stevie R like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:10   #27
Senior Member+

More seriously.........About Coley and Jimmy and their recent resignations from Southport.........
The statements and links being made with Tranmere all sound plausible.....but..........
I really hope that they don't know something that we don't know about?...............
I know that James Beattie is contracted to us for another year.........but....... strange things do happen in the close season................and vacancies do suddenly become available that some people may have inside information about?????
Am I playing the Devil's Advocate because I do worry about these things at night!

My view;
Good luck to Coley and Jimmy in getting back into full time football. They deserve the chance. If they get a job in Division 2 I hope that Stanley beat their team under the management of one James Beattie.
ON STANLEY ON
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 12:32   #28

Either way I'd be happy to be honest
DAV007 likes this.
Old 01-05-2014, 18:30   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Either way I'd be happy to be honest
I'm the same, I have become a James Beattie fan and hope he stays for many years to come.
If he did move upwards, Coley would be a brilliant replacement.

But it's not going to happen, Beattie is going nowhere.

2 year plan. Next season Stanley to finish on the top 10.
SamF and Exile on Spencer St like this.
DAV007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 18:45   #30

Surely there could only be one contender Davo if Beattie left.

Dunbavin as player manager?
AccyMad likes this.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..