Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree30Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-08-2015, 08:08   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Mansfield tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
Can only hope the holiday season was the main reason, Davo, otherwise it's worrying.
Didn't see the game but glad to get 3 points.
Think the criticism of the ref is unfair...he obviously left his pencil behind in the dressing room for the first half.
He left his gob as well, never even spoke to anyone in first half,let alone booked.completely inept.
choirboy and monkey hanger like this.
Old 19-08-2015, 08:09   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by choirboy View Post
I have to agree with earlier comments about the referee Adam England!
His performance tonight was one of the most inept refereeing displays that I have ever witnessed!
I think that he made NO bookings in the first half when there should have been at least two Mandsfield players carded. Their lads constantly wrapped their arms round our forwards at set pieces, pushed and nudged our players in the back and manipulated the referee and his assistants by moving the ball up the touchline at throw ins and also at free kicks! Had the ref booked a couple earlier in the game then he would have had a much better chance of maintaing control. He then booked TEN in the second half and lost the game completely!
For all their possesion Mansfield did not create too much of a problem for our defence. Mooney looked strong, for me Buxton deserved his 'MOM' award. Pearson, Davies and Deano hardly put a foot wrong. Crooks in midfield was strong and creative. Sean Mac didn't have a great game for me but he did what we know he can do by scoring the important goal. It was the first thing that he had done right up to that point! Seamus played his part effectively and efficiently, keeping a cool head when under pressure. Seamus is the one player for me this season who has the ability to put his foot on the ball, look around and then simply play the right pass! Pierro was a constant threat and Billy eventually got the better of their centre half, who I think had four arms!!!! Josh did well too but seemed to be almost trying too hard!
A very hard earned three points tonight and we showed the strength of character not only to overcome a rugged Mansfield side but also to cope with the terrible refeering by Mr England!
SACK THE REFEREE!
ON STANLEY ON
spot on choirboy. if he had been more proactive the 1st half the second would have been easier for him. we stood up well to their tactics and hopefully no injuries for Saturday. some Stanley players in the past would have gone missing in a game like this but ive a feeling this squad is made of sturner stuff. only downside was the first 30 mins. and the crowd numbers. THE TEAM DESERVE BETTER
AccyMad, Redraine and choirboy like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 08:19   #18
Senior Member+

Quote:
Can only hope the holiday season was the main reason, Davo, otherwise it's worrying.
Didn't see the game but glad to get 3 points.
Think the criticism of the ref is unfair...he obviously left his pencil behind in the dressing room for the first half.
Exile, you didn't see the match....Believe me...
THE REF WAS ABSOLUTELY USELESS

As for the low gate....well there could be a number of reasons which have been discussed on various posts in recent seasons....
Current high walk on price...?
Rovers at home.....?
3 Home matches and Morecambe away in only 11 days...?
General apathy of Accrington folk....?

My view is that if more football loving Accringtonians supported our own town team and not other towns and cities teams then we would have a much better attendance in the region of 2K to 3K fans!
My message then to all these fans who support other teams is .....
GET DOWN TO THE WHAM STADIUM AND SUPPORT YOUR OWN TOWN TEAM........

ACCRINGTON STANLEY....
The football currently being played here is of a very high standard and is very entertaining and is being played on a superb playing surface.
YOUR LOCAL FOOTBALL CLUB NEEDS YOU....
ACCRINGTON STANLEY.

ON STANLEY ON
chevyfire and monkey hanger like this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 08:30   #19
Senior Member+

Preaching to the converted on here Choirboy, Why not give plenty of tickets to junior football clubs, I don't mean 10/15 tickets, but they obviously have a love for the game so why not get them up with a paying parent!

We can't just expect people to turn up and pay £20
smudgie likes this.
Old 19-08-2015, 08:33   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post
Preaching to the converted on here Choirboy, Why not give plenty of tickets to junior football clubs, I don't mean 10/15 tickets, but they obviously have a love for the game so why not get them up with a paying parent!

All done by the community trust on a regular basis. Club even gave away season tickets to all primary school children last season but it didn't work.

And before you ask I don't the answer apart from winning every game
Old 19-08-2015, 09:16   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy View Post

Dont agree with you on lots of issues baldy, but that is 100% bang on.

Been saying it for years, but we used to be the "cheap" local option, especially when Burnley and Rovers where away......Not the case anymore and until the club sees sense with its matchday prices nothing will change the situation.

£20 for me last season was simply too much to find once or sometimes twice a week.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 09:31   #22
God Member

if we play 2 home games in a week its common sense to make the mid week game cheeper to attract fans. the problem is the club has to pay bills therefore you are in the scenario of 100 at 20 pounds is better than 199 at ten pounds. short term thinking and with most of the people who sit near me in the moan stand we probably wound be around to get full value from a 20 year season ticket.
Old 19-08-2015, 09:39   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
All done by the community trust on a regular basis. Club even gave away season tickets to all primary school children last season but it didn't work.

And before you ask I don't the answer apart from winning every game
I'm talking a lot more tickets than just the kids that play football at half time! I mean hundreds even thousands of tickets, We have the Community Trust going into school etc every day so wouldn't be extra workload for anyone at the club having to dish them out!

I do appreciate that the club have unbelievable prices and season/flexi tickets but how many new fans have bought season tickets? I just think we need to be getting more kids on the game!

I'm not saying this has to be every game but why not 3/4 times a season when we play teams like Wimbledon and Barnet when we know the away following won't be great, make a big fuss of grassroots football and invite all junior clubs to come in their teams football shirts and really push it!

Even go as far as getting Supporters Club involved and getting facepainters in for the kids, It's not as though there isn't enough room behind the Clayton end to do this!
smudgie and monkey hanger like this.
Old 19-08-2015, 09:46   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
if we play 2 home games in a week its common sense to make the mid week game cheeper to attract fans. the problem is the club has to pay bills therefore you are in the scenario of 100 at 20 pounds is better than 199 at ten pounds. short term thinking and with most of the people who sit near me in the moan stand we probably wound be around to get full value from a 20 year season ticket.
ment would NOT be around to get full value for 20 year season ticket. sorry need an age related nap now.
Old 19-08-2015, 10:13   #25
God Member

It's harder to attract kids these days, seems supporting your home team is not as important in the 'sky sports' era, making it easier to support a so called successful team from the comfort of the lounge. 44 years out of the football league impacted massively & grass roots football got lost in the media publicised big stadiums, not helped by Burnley & Blackburn firming their roots of successes in the top 2 tiers, which took the bulk of local support away initially, then passing through generations in Stanley's absence. What we have now in terms of numbers are on the whole loyal Stanley supporters, the through thick & thin types, particularly over the past 10 years where we have battled to maintain mid table with the 1 playoff chance in between. No matter what initiative the club does, the public isn't biting I'm afraid, hence why gate price is £20, those that want to come to a game will pay it those that don't won't. We couldn't fill the ground on a freebie either! The main focus was to make the season ticket & flexi more attractive for a more long term focus than a match as you go focus, which I think is sensible season long. Only continued success on the pitch & push for promo is the only way to increase new or change apathetic supporters by making them see we are serious contenders - particularly if we continue to play like we did against hull - we can do it!
mab likes this.

ACCRINGTON STANLEY MAD!

Stanleymad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:17   #26
Senior Member+

Doesnt help when the commercial aspects of the club are an absolute disaster.

The lack of matchday hospitality this season is an absolute joke..... Young Faye used to have that clubhouse packed out on matchdays.
smudgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 10:48   #27
God Member

The club have tried to entice younger kids and did offer free tickets to any primary school leaver last year. But, Baldy and others are right; getting kids engaged is the only way to survive and the club just has to keep on doing it, year on year. Just because it didn't produce instant results isn't reason to stop doing it. The club has to be applauded and supported in trying to connect with Accy's kids.
I wonder if there would be any possibility of exploiting the success of Huncoat Primary given their Wembley glory only a few months ago? Could there be a challenge to all other primary schools in Hyndburn to take on Huncoat, played pre-match at Stanley's home games? Or even organise a series of inter-school games that result in a 'final' later in the year? Every kid playing would be sure to bring an adult and who knows, some of them might even come back to watch the Stanley.
smudgie likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 11:09   #28
God Member

Just had a peek on Mansfield's fans forum, not happy bunnies - they're wondering if we're their bogey team & can't understand how 'a team with less than 1000 home fans attending on a balmy night can nick 3 points from us', also calling us 'Alfreton in disguise' - seems like we really ruffled a few feathers last night
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 11:16   #29

I was unable to pick up my season ticket on 6th August so I rang up before the match last night to ask when I could pick it up. I was told that there were no season tickets available as they had all been given out but I would be able to pick up tickets for the Mansfield and Northampton game at the ticket office.

So last night I went to the ticket office and picked them up. When I asked when I could pick up my season tickets was told not until the Exeter home game due to the unprecedented request for season tickets those that weren't picked up on 6 August had been given out to people turning up on the night asking for them.

If this is the case and a lot more people have bought season tickets the number who turned up at last night's match does not reflect that. Holidays and work commitments probably played a part in the low numbers last night.

A few months ago I mentioned that we should turn the negative view re the low numbers attending matches to a positive through merchandising Tshirts etc with the logo along the lines of "Proud to be one of the thousand" "My dad, mum brother grandad etc is one of the thousand", just wondered whether that suggestion was deemed to be a non starter as I have not seen anything since.
smudgie likes this.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2015, 11:50   #30
Senior Member+

Quote:
The club have tried to entice younger kids and did offer free tickets to any primary school leaver last year
Although you can't knock the club for trying the school leavers promotion...How many tickets actually made it home?...not that many I assume!

That's why I said junior football clubs, Speak to their managers and make it more of a day out to them, most of the kids may have never even been to a league game before, let's get the kids up with all their footy team mates and they're more likely to enjoy it!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..