Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree51Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2016, 17:48   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Don's Match Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by football19 View Post
Great Point and a clean sheet !!!!,sorry redraine for getting carried away
This will prove to be a point gained as their a tough decent team.
Shows we can battle as well as play a bit which should give us great confidence in the run in KTF
I'll take the away point against the team only second to Northampton in the form table any day! We just need to rediscover our best winning form at home and we'll be quids in. We have missed Windass badly in and around the box imo.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-03-2016, 17:53   #17

Quite possibly the worst decision I've seen in 40 years of watching football.
cashman, Chrisr and monkey hanger like this.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 18:02   #18
Senior Member+

Oh dear,what a shocking decision,hope it doesn't overshadow a battling clean sheet performance
football19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 18:26   #19
Resting in Peace

Referee Kettle's brain must have boiled over in order to make that decision.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 19:31   #20
God Member

I've been waiting all season to say this, but, "we wuz robbed".
What was, if it had been left to the players, a good, tense, and competitive game between two well-matched sides was turned into a pantomime by dreadful refereeing and some pretty patchy back-up from the linesman.
On a poor playing surface, which made staying on your feet and intricate passing difficult, Stanley had the better of the first half and, in stark contrast to Tuesday, were much more intent on threatening the Dons' goal. The surface and some healthy challenges from both sides led to more dropped balls than I've seen all season. Even their keeper's balls dropped, after he claimed Billy Kee had been a little too friendly, literally, in the box (historical note: quite why Wimbledon should complain about such tactics is beyond me given the way they still hold Vinnie Jones in such esteem).
Back to football, Wimbledon, in Elliot and Taylor, had 2 useful forwards but Messrs Davies and Perason were more than a match for them. Both had great games. Even when Elliot got subbed by Akinfenwa, and they then had, pound for pound, the equivalent of 3 useful forwards, the defence held steady. Young Etheridge also had a good game. As for his sending off, of course all Stanley fans, who were level with the penalty line, were convinced his hands were in the box when he made the save. However, the linesman, who at the time was still ten yards behind play didn't stick his flag up until he heard all the home fans (behind the goal, where you get the best view across the pitch) shouting. Looking at the video, it seems Etheridge was standing just beyond the line but I don't have the technology or skill to stop it when he actually touches the ball. Maybe he was stretching backwards, and thus his hands were inside. Time will tell.
But what the video does seem to confirm is that, at the end of the first half, the ref's whistle sounds after Billy Kee had shot, but just before it hit the net.
Funny, I always thought we paid money to watch goals being scored but obviously Mr. Kettle thinks we were all there to admire his time-keeping.
I guess, with officials like that, we should be glad Mr.Mooney was able to save the resulting free kick, and be content with only being robbed of 2 points.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 20:26   #21

This should be used by the manager to motivate the dressing room massively. Tell the players it proves how much we have to scrap and fight for every win, and that we can't rely on anyone, including the officials, to give us any support. Nothing but absolute commitment to playing our brand of football, that has been so successful this year, will do.

Bring on Portsmouth.
AccyMad, cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Tom D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 20:47   #22
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom D View Post
This should be used by the manager to motivate the dressing room massively. Tell the players it proves how much we have to scrap and fight for every win, and that we can't rely on anyone, including the officials, to give us any support. Nothing but absolute commitment to playing our brand of football, that has been so successful this year, will do.

Bring on Portsmouth.
That is bang on as far as i'm concerned,I have said what i think of the ref if the case was proved, I stand by it.
monkey hanger likes this.
Old 05-03-2016, 21:04   #23

Exile has it spot on, a very close and hard-fought contest with neither side giving an inch. Having seen those Wimbledon forwards make hay at our place, I was wondering how we would cope, but the surface was poor and made pass and move difficult. I thought we played the better football of the two sides, always looking to get it down and find the wings. Our set-pieces were generally poor, though, and when either Piero or Sean Mc did box it, there was always a Wimbledon head there. I can't recall us having a headed effort on goal. A pity we couldn't have found a way to run at them from more central positions, though the conditions made that a tough ask. Really hard lines for Etheridge, neither of the officials were in a position to make that call, and an even tougher decision to swallow for Billy. A special mention to Tom and Matty who were excellent throughout in central defence and gave Elliot and Taylor barely a sniff, and then stood up to the barging and elbowing that passes for Akinfenwa's game these days. A proper battle and a moral victory for the Reds.
Phil Whalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 21:07   #24
God Member

I doubt the players will need much motivating given that it was Jimmy (Ghandi) Bell who had to peel them off the ref at half time. We all know for Stanley to succeed the team often has to beat more than their opposing 11.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 21:46   #25
Full Member+

Having seen this and the reruns of the goal on TV, it was quite clear the ball was on it's way when the whistle was blown. It will take a finite technology to say if the whole of the ball had crossed the line at the point of the whistle blowing, Nobody could believe the ref blew up at that point, It puts a bitter taste in the mouth if you add all the other dreadful decisions if they were not more than mistakes. I do hope every avenue is exploited by the club in appeals all round. These officials should be sacked.
Chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 23:19   #26
God Member

Just seen it on twitter...BLOODY disgraceful refereeing. Never ever seen anything like that in my life-at any standard. The jerk should be publicly castrated.
Kiwi John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:15   #27
Full Member+

Pathetic refereeing. The goal decision blowing just before the ball crosses the line is disgusting. The sending off looks wrong to me but could be 50/50 in real time and difficult to call.

However would a half competent ref blow as the ball is crossing the line, or why else would a ref get in that position? The FA and Football League need to respond to this.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 04:59   #28
Full Member+

To be blunt....Trevor Kettle should not be allowed to referee any form of professional football ever again.....Id even go as far as saying the clown shouldn't be allowed to officiate in schoolboy football.

That decision could potentially cost us an automatic spot come May....the financial implications if Stanley miss out on the autos by those two points lost could run into tens...nay hundreds of thousands.

Not to mention that the decision may have scuppered quite a few bets yesterday. It might effect season long bets ( I know I've made one and it might cost me a decent lump ) Though I dare say the bookies won't shed too many tears.

I'm surprised Coleman took it as well as he did.....though I dare say he was watching what he said, for fear of a charge from the circus who employ the clown who was in charge !!

Can't comment on the sending off from what I've seen on various videos....evidence was a bit inconclusive.....

When I played in local league football, after the game, we had to mark the ref's and officials performance. If the rating was lower than a certain mark (4 or 5 rings a bell) , the club would have to explain the reasons for such a low / poor rating.

If the same scenario is used in pro football in today's age.....I'd seriously hope Stanley's players and officials gave that clown a suitably low mark...so that his "officiating" is looked at.

Absolutely Disgusted.
cashman and smobile like this.

Winston Leonard Spencer Churchill.
carpon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:11   #29
Senior Member+

never seen a ref blow for time when the ball is in the penalty box let alone when the ball is nearly crossed the goal line as a matter of interest I see there was 3mins of extra time shown on the board does anyone know how much extra time was played
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 08:28   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr View Post
Having seen this and the reruns of the goal on TV, it was quite clear the ball was on it's way when the whistle was blown. It will take a finite technology to say if the whole of the ball had crossed the line at the point of the whistle blowing, Nobody could believe the ref blew up at that point, It puts a bitter taste in the mouth if you add all the other dreadful decisions if they were not more than mistakes. I do hope every avenue is exploited by the club in appeals all round. These officials should be sacked.
The only thing the club can appeal against is the sending off, nothing else. Technically the referee was not wrong, just plain stupid

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..