Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree306Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2016, 12:04   #241

Re: Summer Signings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe_Red View Post
Sorry but the stats don't agree with you.

There's been 9 football league seasons that we have both been in this division.

The team achieving the highest position over the other goes to Morecambe by 5 seasons to 4.

Morecambe have never been in a relegation scrap i.e always been mathematically safe at least 2 weeks before the final fixtures.
So if your so good, with a nearly new ground, and a new owner waiting in the wings and a well supported manager, why are you struggling to get fans through the turnstiles?........ (by the way, relegation scraps don't always start two weeks before the end of the season.......)
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-06-2016, 12:45   #242
Resting in Peace

D[QUOTE=cashman;1169961]cant blame em, they want to remain a league club n its the only way.:]
Don't think you've quite got my point yet, mate but I'll leave it hanging a bit longer.
Redraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 12:48   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
So if your so good, with a nearly new ground, and a new owner waiting in the wings and a well supported manager, why are you struggling to get fans through the turnstiles?........ (by the way, relegation scraps don't always start two weeks before the end of the season.......)
Don't start talking about 'struggling to get fans through the turnstiles' without taking a close look at your gates.

Had it not been for your ill fated promotion push your average would have been less than ours.... just like all the other seasons...
Christies Child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 13:45   #244
God Member

Yeah but in our case it's due to being so close to Burnley & Blackburn, premiership & championship clubs respectively - where's nearest teams to you, Barrow, Lancaster???
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 13:58   #245

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Yeah but in our case it's due to being so close to Burnley & Blackburn, premiership & championship clubs respectively - where's nearest teams to you, Barrow, Lancaster???
Burnley and Blackburn seem to have little influence on your mid week gates...

Let's face it we BOTH struggle and it's an achievement just to not be relegated for BOTH clubs.
DAV007 and monkey hanger like this.
Old 03-06-2016, 16:12   #246
Full Member+

just imagine your clubs scouting network stretches to the boundaries of hyndburn
Lemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 17:33   #247
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemur
just imagine your clubs scouting network stretches to the boundaries of hyndburn
Stanley's goes as far as Liverpool.
monkey hanger likes this.

Do not take life too seriously. You will never get out of it alive.
yerself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 08:23   #248
God Member

Morecambe have never been in a relegation scrap i.e always been mathematically safe at least 2 weeks before the final fixtures.[/QUOTE]

don,t want to add too much fuel to the fire but last seasons points total would have seen Morecambe relegated in most seasons. should thank the abysmal form od Dagenham and jacky McNamara,s red and white army for your escape. Morecambe like Stanley and a few others in the league are only a few bad signings and a change of manager away from the conference.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 10:23   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
Morecambe have never been in a relegation scrap i.e always been mathematically safe at least 2 weeks before the final fixtures.
don,t want to add too much fuel to the fire but last seasons points total would have seen Morecambe relegated in most seasons. should thank the abysmal form od Dagenham and jacky McNamara,s red and white army for your escape. Morecambe like Stanley and a few others in the league are only a few bad signings and a change of manager away from the conference.[/QUOTE]

What would you say if the leagues where restructured so that it became more of a North / South divide? it would certainly save on travel etc which is the major drain on clubs finances other than players and management teams.

I'd have no problem in seeing Chester, Wrexham, Tranmere and Stockport back in the fold .....
cashman and monkey hanger like this.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:14   #250
God Member

The idea is great but in practice it become regional football. Might as well be the Unibond.
AccyMad likes this.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:28   #251

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccawozzagod View Post
The idea is great but in practice it become regional football. Might as well be the Unibond.
...but a very competitive Unibond that would certainly encourage away fans to more local games. The way it is at the moment just doesn't make financial sense long term.
Old 05-06-2016, 07:52   #252
God Member

What would you say if the leagues where restructured so that it became more of a North / South divide? it would certainly save on travel etc which is the major drain on clubs finances other than players and management teams.

I'd have no problem in seeing Chester, Wrexham, Tranmere and Stockport back in the fold .....[/QUOTE]
I personally would welcome a div.2 north and div.2 south as long as you can still play 46 games in a season. old enough to remember 3rd. division north and going to more away games then and that was bus or train. when regional football finished in the late 50,s it was exciting for a few seasons playing new sides but gates fell after the novelty wore off. its not nostalga but would rather see Halifax away than crawley away. gates and divorces would go up as we,d probably spend more time watching our clubs whoever they are.
cashman likes this.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:04   #253
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post

I'd have no problem in seeing Chester, Wrexham, Tranmere and Stockport back in the fold .....
I personally would welcome a div.2 north and div.2 south as long as you can still play 46 games in a season. old enough to remember 3rd. division north and going to more away games then and that was bus or train. when regional football finished in the late 50,s it was exciting for a few seasons playing new sides but gates fell after the novelty wore off. its not nostalga but would rather see Halifax away than crawley away. gates and divorces would go up as we,d probably spend more time watching our clubs whoever they are.[/QUOTE]

The trouble is we may end up with the 6 fingered inbreds from Barrow
Morecambe_Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:10   #254
God Member

The trouble is we may end up with the 6 fingered inbreds from Barrow [/QUOTE]

that would be better than the arrogant Stevenage London overspill lot.
smudgie likes this.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:41   #255
God Member

I'd obviously rather play Halifax than Stevenage, but its not part of national football anymore if you create the divide.

If a regional split was to occur then I'd rather it was part of a nationwide overhaul of the entire game.
PL ... 18 teams
CH ... 18 teams
D1N ... 18 teams / D1S ...18 teams
D2N ... 18 team / D2S ... 18 teams

34 games per season, league matches played only on weekends, cup matches/friendlies under the lights.

Fewer games to play isnt good, but decreased travel and larger attendances should offset that. Any clubs knocked out of the cups would know that they can arrange friendlies to get the bar takings in etc.

I'd still not be happy at a split if I'm honest but the longer the financial split is allowed to go on, the more I think it would be essential.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..