Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree43Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2021, 17:35   #16
Full Member+

Re: Shrewsbury home thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
First game back live after a severe back problem great to see all the familiar faces in Block F plus loads of new ones, really good game Shrewsbury,s league position will surely improve a decent side.Thoughts on our players all played well Pell never stops shouting Captain material Morgan really impressive in the holding role. Sherring looking a class act has is Clark Mumbango deserved his goal and played well, like the look of both substitutes could give it a real go this year has we proudly sit joint top.

Poundland Heat Pads for the back Andy. Work brilliantly for me for the sore back
Watchdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-09-2021, 17:51   #17
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchdog View Post
Poundland Heat Pads for the back Andy. Work brilliantly for me for the sore back
Whatchdog thanks for the advice but mine has been an infection in the spine not nice but eh I,m getting there and back at my beloved Stanley. Back to the game I think we have done a lot of decent work in the window, this side today was missing Conneelly, Rodgers, Pritchard injured plus Trafford and Charles away on International duty, we really look like we have strength in depth.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 18:25   #18
God Member

Pleased for Mumbongo that he got his goal. Clark did well attacking down the right, especially first half as he seemed to tire towards the end. Also impressed with Hamilton for the brief period he was on. Defence and Toby were pretty solid and another tigerish performance in midfield from Morgan.
But it was another nail-biting last twenty (+nine!) minutes as Stanley seemed, yet again, content to try and hold out with a slender lead. A dangerous game to play with a ref who missed blatant fouls, especially rugby tackling defenders, but would blow for minor infringements.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 19:51   #19
Senior Member+

I am in general agreement with Cashman, Andyd and Exile about today v Shrewsbury.
IMHO it was a well earned three points against a good side. Shrewsbury will be a top half side for sure as we get into the second half of the season.
Today I think that we played really well in the first half and we scored a great goal. Sykes played a superb cross come shot that made the goal and like all Stanley fans I was really chuffed to see Joel Mumbongo smash the ball into the net! Should do his confidence a world of good. The two new boys did really well in the first half, Mitch Clark wide on the right and Sam Sherring at left side of defence. On the balance of play a two goal differential at half time would have been fair.
In the second half Shrewsbury got stronger and stronger and looked the more likely to score. There number 11 dictated their attacking play but our defence was very resolute in their determination to keep a ‘clean sheet’. That determination not to concede was worth a goal and hence two points out of the three for the final result.
The two lads coming on as substitutes look like good signings too. Ethan Hamilton is keen to shoot from outside the penalty box and Young Jovan Malcolm looks like he has the strength and skill to be a great signing.
I thought that the support from the stands and terraces was superb today particularly from The Clayton End who never stopped singing. It was a super flag display at the beginning too. Just don’t bring the flares please!
Regarding the refereeing today and recently….I endorse the move for referees to try to keep play going but this instruction is for when players accidentally bump into each other. IMHO, when a foul is intentional, ie, a pulled shirt or arm pulled , a blatant trip or a push etc, then I believe that the referees should whistle for the infringement and be prepared to give the relevant yellow or red cards accordingly.Yes, please let play go on but call the intentional fouls please.
A welcome increase of a few hundred on the gate today which is another positive to take from today.
Onwards and upwards!
ON STANLEY ON.
yonmon likes this.

Last edited by choirboy; 04-09-2021 at 19:54.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 21:07   #20
God Member

Read a few messages on the Shrewsbury message board the general consensus is that they were terrible today single in out certain players and giving Steve Cottrell some stick, strange how when you've lost 5 out of 6 fans view their own side as rubbish. I am with most on here they played their part in a decent game like others have said 1-0 is nailbiting but it's a clean sheet and defending from the front.
yonmon likes this.
Old 04-09-2021, 21:28   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimer View Post
I love that table Kiwi, but am trying to keep my excitement in check for a while yet - noting that 3 of the teams we've beaten occupy 22nd, 23rd and 24th places, with a combined record of 5 points and GD of -19 from 16 games ....
Fair comment Chimer, but how often have we been undone by those in the lower places - we're going up
cashman, Chimer, yonmon and 1 others like this.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:02   #22
God Member

Quote:
Read a few messages on the Shrewsbury message board the general consensus is that they were terrible today single in out certain players and giving Steve Cottrell some stick, strange how when you've lost 5 out of 6 fans view their own side as rubbish. I am with most on here they played their part in a decent game like others have said 1-0 is nailbiting but it's a clean sheet and defending from the front.
think it was only nailbiting because we could not score a second. it was the usual dour shrewsbury for me. a difficult side to play against and get a result. that with more than a little help from a referee who you never knew what he was going to stop the game for. never clamped down on their tactice early enough and after the problems they played their part in to cause the week before you,d have thought he,d have been far more stricter. then we had to suffer 9 minutes and another 90 seconds on top that for me was far over the top.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:07   #23
God Member

[QUOTE=andyd;1257399 Back to the game I think we have done a lot of decent work in the window, this side today was missing Conneelly, Rodgers, Pritchard injured plus Trafford and Charles away on International duty, we really look like we have strength in depth.[/QUOTE]

in the past we have struggled with a couple of players missing never mind 5 who would have all played. those that would have started a few seasons ago never made much of a contribution even on their debuts. at least now coley has some proper decisions to make on his starting 11 without it more or less picking itself.
cashman and andyd like this.
monkey hanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 08:23   #24
God Member

Quote:
Spot on Andy, Shrews could have taken a point - or even all three - they are not a team that will finish in the bottom half!

cashman and pifco like this.

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:29   #25
God Member

Just watched the highlights back and the move that led to the goal great movement and passing what a fabulous pass from David Morgan to the marauding Sykes with a peach of a cross and Mumbongo with a strikers instinct to be first to the pushed out save and a moral boosting goal to hopefully lead to many more.
MikeA, cashman, pifco and 3 others like this.
Old 06-09-2021, 11:24   #26

Agree Andy, good goal!

But why are a blue and yellow team playing in claretty pink against the Reds? And why are they allowed to?
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 15:13   #27
Senior Member+

A welcome increase of a few hundred on the gate today which is another positive to take from today.
Onwards and upwards!
ON STANLEY ON.
[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Bob !.. I visited ' The Gallery ' on the fishy site and I'm sure that I spotted your good self blowing on your Vulvazela for all you were worth !..
All one can admire in a true fan !..
choirboy likes this.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 19:27   #28
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greger View Post
Agree Andy, good goal!

But why are a blue and yellow team playing in claretty pink against the Reds? And why are they allowed to?

Sir

Dosh

Different home shirt and away shirt sponsors
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 20:26   #29
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
Onwards and upwards!
ON STANLEY ON.
[/B][/COLOR]
Bob !.. I visited ' The Gallery ' on the fishy site and I'm sure that I spotted your good self blowing on your Vulvazela for all you were worth !..
All one can admire in a true fan !..[/QUOTE]

Thanks Alan…..
As ever…..100% behind the team!
The Vulvazela helps me to preserve my voice instead of shouting like a crazy man!
I was singing in Lancaster Priory the day before at the Installation Service of the new Sherrif of Lancashire, Edwin Booth of Booth’s Supermarket fame. We sang I was Glad by Parry and a setting of the Jubilate by Stanford.
I really enjoyed both days!
ON SANLEY ON.
yonmon likes this.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 21:22   #30

Gentlemen. There is far too much optimism and excitement on this thread as to Stanleys and Shrewsbury's performance on Saturday. While a win and three points is always welcome....based on Saturdays performance...both the Stanley and the Shrews will do well to stay up in league 1, nevermind be in the top half. Missed chances and poor defending by both sides made for a poor quality game by two average sides. We had key players missing yesterday but I'm not sure if they had a similar excuse.....probably not. However we got the three points. Live in hope...and keep the faith....support the team and Coley. The next 2 Saturdays will give us a better idea where we might finish.....
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..