Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2023, 07:59   #16
God Member

Smile Re: Bradford 1st round carabao cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Bit worrying on the 8 changes in the starting line up were through fitness issues and injuries according to Coleman only 2nd game in doesn't make for good listening plus I thought John,s body language gave away that the performance did affect him he just won't say it in public.
Jay Rich and Seamus I can understand - they are working their way back to full fitness

Mellor was limping on Saturday, so get that also

Somebody has put on here that Shipley had a knock also on Saturday

Nolan, Leigh and McConville, did not look injured, did not play the full game and two of them are young lads - strange to me

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-08-2023, 08:01   #17
God Member

Re: Bradford 1st round carabao cup.

Last night's game doesn't throw any light on the league games to come they finished in the playoffs last season and only made two changes to their opening game defeat so you could argue with our best eleven on last night we could have blown them away trouble now the early cup games are becoming more like preseason friendly,s hence just over 1000 Accy fans in the crowd can you blame them for paying extra on top of your season ticket if you have one we move on to a very difficult away game at Gillingham who I think will be among the top six to eight all season.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 08:49   #18
God Member

We play Barrow - in L2 - 3 days after Gillingham, if we make 8 changes again, we will struggle

We will NOT make 8 changes!!!!!

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 09:24   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

BRADFORD is a city,there players are probably paid 3 0r 4 times more than ours
i do not think we played that badly against them, they will be one of the top teams in div2 i think,i do not think we will do too badly in div2 this season.thats my opinion.
AccyMad and choirboy like this.
Old 09-08-2023, 09:42   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
BRADFORD is a city,there players are probably paid 3 0r 4 times more than ours
i do not think we played that badly against them, they will be one of the top teams in div2 i think,i do not think we will do too badly in div2 this season.thats my opinion.
I'm just worried that I agree with Cashy! My only addition to.his post is that some of their players looked more like they should be playing rugby (& some did!) & the ref had no grip at all on their thuggish ways
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 09:52   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
I'm just worried that I agree with Cashy! My only addition to.his post is that some of their players looked more like they should be playing rugby (& some did!) & the ref had no grip at all on their thuggish ways
League 2 looks more physical than League 1. I'd forgotten this. Unless Newport and Bradford are not typical of League 2 teams.

Anyway Coley said he'd made 8 changes and the changes he made were 5 due to injury and 3 to give players game time. So the 3 who played Saturday and came on were not out due to injury. ie. Leigh, Nolan and Andrews. Therefore the injured from Saturday must have be: McConville, Seamus, Jay, Shipley and Mellor. Hopefully they've only got knocks and will feature on Saturday or next Tuesday latest?
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 11:01   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
Yes, I did wonder at times whether we were playing Bradford Bulls.
choirboy likes this.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 11:11   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Grounder View Post
League 2 looks more physical than League 1. I'd forgotten this. Unless Newport and Bradford are not typical of League 2 teams.

Anyway Coley said he'd made 8 changes and the changes he made were 5 due to injury and 3 to give players game time. So the 3 who played Saturday and came on were not out due to injury. ie. Leigh, Nolan and Andrews. Therefore the injured from Saturday must have be: McConville, Seamus, Jay, Shipley and Mellor. Hopefully they've only got knocks and will feature on Saturday or next Tuesday latest?
Well on that basis Shipley,s and Mellor,s must be the worrying ones has they didn't make the bench.

Last edited by andyd; 09-08-2023 at 11:13.
Old 09-08-2023, 11:24   #24
Senior Member+

Adedoyin's penalty not gone unnoticed by the fans of his former employers.
https://twitter.com/WTIDPOD/status/1689034153621139456

6th March 1962 - They turned off the gas but nothing could extinguish the flame!
Haggis316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 11:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd View Post
Well on that basis Shipley,s and Mellor,s must be the worrying ones has they didn't make the bench.
Correct Andyd, Shipley's ankle is swollen so provided no break he will recover with ice packs. If not for Saturday then next Tuesday. Mellor possible more to worry about as he was not fit when he came to us. Let's hope he's not the "delicate" type.

On another note I'm really pleased with the two lads from Norwich. Very capable. And Josh Andrews upfront is impressive as a target man.

The biggest worry for me is the window still being open.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:11   #26

Plus the eight changes mean more players have got valuable game time........we've now had two games with almost different back-lines. Very positive position to be in going forward. Still let's see where we are after 10 games.
Old 09-08-2023, 12:15   #27
God Member

A massive positive from last night was Arron Pickles thought he was outstanding against a very experienced Andy Cook who has lots of experience and goals in him a mature head on his shoulders and like a good centre back doesn't stray to far from his position Hills looks good as well but personally going forward would like to see a partnership in the middle of Baghuelou and Pickles I think Hills could fit either full back role with ease.
Old 09-08-2023, 16:26   #28
Senior Member+

Hmmmm. Reading a mixture of opinions from earlier replies about the match. Some quite negative and some more positive. For me, I don’t try to read too much into why Coley’s selections are as they are!
I thought that our young team last night played really well on the whole against a much more experienced City team. If I have to express disappointment about the match then it is aimed at a very physical Bradford side who resorted much of the time to a ‘Route One’ approach including their centre forward and centre backs just throwing themselves into our players. I am sure our young defenders learnt a lot about the rougher tactics in wider use in the men’s game but I honestly thought they handled those rough tactics well. Ironically this barging headlong into our players resulted in two opponents finishing up with their heads bandaged up! Refereeing has to be looked at here too!
Very disappointed with these tactics employed by Mark Hughes! I would not want to watch them every week!
Yes, Stanley struggled for an hour with the lack of strength at centre forward but the good substitutions in the second half made a big difference to our attacking threat. Perfectly illustrated in our equalizing goal. Sub Leigh’s quick thinking in taking a short corner to Sub Nolan who curved a lovely left footed outswinger for Sub Josh Andrews to power in a superb header. The goal scored was right in front of me and my daughter and was ‘Simply Class!” I think Andrews could be our twenty goal replacement for Bishop that we have been looking for! Hoping he can stay clear of injury.
I like Brad Hills and Josh Andrews in particular and they certainly look like they could be the answers to some of our previous weaknesses.
Seb Quirk was my MOTM for an exemplary all round performance, starting at right back where he defended well and got into a lot of our passing moves going forward. Then he was equally effective at left back after the substitutions! A very under rated player!
I agree with comments about our younger home grown players doing really well too.
Penalties are just a lottery, I would prefer extra time.
I am feeling quite positive about our prospects moving forward from here.
KEEP THE FAITH POSITIVELY
ON STANLEY ON

choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2023, 23:33   #29

Agree with you re Quirk.
Had a good game at full back.
I'm never sure what he's supposed to bring to the side in midfield.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..