Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Hobbies and Accy Sport > Accrington Stanley
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Stanley Accrington Stanley forum.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-09-2023, 19:07   #16
Full Member+

Re: Another home defeat? Stockport (Home) Thread

the main contenders off at half time.
The positives are that we are only 4
Points off a play off position.
Watchdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-09-2023, 19:26   #17
Senior Member+

Hard to believe my eyes this afternoon,!.. How the management have the gall to call the current squad ( apart from Brad Hills !) a Football Team totally escapes me.
The kick it anywhere tactics on show today are just not good enough for League 2 and unfair on those of us who have to watch them !.
The saddest thing seems to be that looking to be being tactically bereft of ideas one cannot see a cure for the Status Quo emanating from our Manager in the near future.
My consistent criticisms and constant complaints only come from an acute sense of disappointment in the current state of the Team I always want to do well.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 19:44   #18
God Member

Question Re: Another home defeat? Stockport (Home) Thread

Josh Andrews......

Shaun Whalley..........

Ros......

Seamus.....

Tommy Leigh.......

JRB......

Joe Pritchard.........

18 Years in the Football League

https://onstanleyon.com/sean-mcconville-testimonial/
VALAIRIAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 20:30   #19

Should have had Tommy Leigh deep midfield from the start.
Inspector Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2023, 22:32   #20

It dawned on most half-way through last season that our then L1 squad was barely adequate to survive L2.
Add the loss of the few good players we had to a woeful recruitment policy & the same failed game-plan that saw us relegated last year and the prophecy is rapidly becoming a reality.
They say that pride comes before a fall but after 10 games, who would have guessed that Barrow would sit 5 places above us?
Unless there are some radical changes soon, I genuinely fear we might well be facing Oldham & Rochdale next season.
cashman and Watchdog like this.
Lord Stiffupperlip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 08:47   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Stiffupperlip View Post
It dawned on most half-way through last season that our then L1 squad was barely adequate to survive L2.
Add the loss of the few good players we had to a woeful recruitment policy & the same failed game-plan that saw us relegated last year and the prophecy is rapidly becoming a reality.
They say that pride comes before a fall but after 10 games, who would have guessed that Barrow would sit 5 places above us?
Unless there are some radical changes soon, I genuinely fear we might well be facing Oldham & Rochdale next season.
Lord.S !.. You mention a ' failed game plan 'in your post. I'm sure that I'm not alone in thinking ' What game-plan would that be I wonder ?'. If yesterday's ' kick the ball anywhere as long as I get rid of it ! ' was the Manager's game-plan which he had drummed into his lacklustre players at daily training, then it didn't, and will never reap any success !.
Time for a change ., some might ask. But as I said previously, with the current squad in mind, initiating any change seems to my eyes to be a far-off possibility !.
Oh my !.. I do wish that I had some happy and positive thoughts , all this doom and gloom from your usually cheerful contributor is a bit wearing !.. so I'll shut up !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:25   #22
God Member

There was only one ‘game plan’ on evidence yesterday for 70 minutes and that was Stockport’s to humiliate Stanley.
I’m also tired of the cliche and don’t wish to offend anyone’s delicate sensibilities, but it looked, yet again, like men against boys for much of the match.

I don’t know what fitness and strengthening regime is in place but it seems that any team that visits the Wham can out-run and out-muscle Stanley.
The better teams also often out-think them, but on the ‘basics’ many of the Stanley squad do not compete with most teams in terms of strength and speed. The latter is not enough if a quick player can get easily nudged off the ball. And muscle is not much use if you are not quick enough to get to the ball.

Don’t know if the training and fitness ‘regime’ has anything to do with the recurring injury crises, but, other than the gung-ho finale, yesterday’s performance I doubt was even up to National League standard.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:34   #23

My real concern Yonmon, is that no lessons appear to have been learned from last seasons debacle.
Players apart, nothing has changed. We still use the same predictable game plan/formation that saw us relegated.
I fear our managers inability to change his current tactics will prove our downfall.
Lord Stiffupperlip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:01   #24
God Member

This squad has with last season his not a team on the pitch that's down to the management regardless who they are they play like strangers to one another a team and tactics are partly down to recruitment but mostly it's what you do in training and planning according to Coleman we have fantastic coaches well it certainly doesn't work on match days. Also the fixation with one upfront in a mediocre squad is baffling.
andyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:29   #25

I saw a better performance from Stanley yesterday than at Tranmere the Saturday before. Still not good enough, but better. The positives, few but still positives included Ben Woods progression as holding midfield cover. He kept calm while those around him lost their heads many times. He played simple short passes to feet.....new keeper did well on his feet.....less so getting down to stop shots.......Andrews still playing alone upfront......our "attacking 3 midfielders" failed to get close enough to him to have an impact.

So what we need....... the spine of the team is weak.........our keepers are short of confidence, we should have stuck with McIntyre ( my call to bring in a loan was for the bench). Hill's is sound but needs a regular partnership, almost anyone will do but the weekly change is causing problems (enforced or not). Holding midfield is a problem when Seamus and Coyle are injured. Ben Woods will slot in eventually but he's work in progress and Tommy is a liability anywhere further back than attacking midfield. Coming back to Andrews......he needs a regular Partner playing upfront or just behind...and it's not Whalley, Longello or Pritchard........Nolan would be ideal, if only he was given a chance by the Manager. They need a run of games together, and I mean more than 6 or 7.

Well, that's me done until Forest Green at home........I will miss Morecambe away. Let's hope we improve in some departments before my next game.........Keep the Faith out there and keep supporting our team.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 10:33   #26
God Member

If that’s true, Crown Grounder, I’m just glad I wasn’t at Tranmere.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 13:43   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Spencer St View Post
If that’s true, Crown Grounder, I’m just glad I wasn’t at Tranmere.
Tranmere are a poor side, not half as good as Stockport.

That's how bad we were......
cashman likes this.
Crown Grounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 13:58   #28
Super Moderator

Crown Grounder and all;
Rules don't allow loans for the bench; an emergency loan HAS to start in League games. The on bench option would be a out of contract player. Somebody who hasn't trained with a team or played a game since May last year.
mab likes this.
Mr T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 14:31   #29
God Member

Cheers Mark

Old 01-10-2023, 14:31   #30
God Member

Do we just keep extending week by week??

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..