Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Fun > Anything Goes
Donate! Join Today

Anything Goes Anything goes.....well, you'll get away with more here than anywhere else on Accyweb! But remember, we are a child friendly forum!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2003, 14:49   #1

Post Sat. job's

Just wondering as many people hit their teenage years if they had a sat job and what they did. I used to work at animal magic in the 80's! I belive it is no longer there!
Then I went to work at the Berkley as a waitress. also had a job in a gas station at one point!!!! Have to say though waitressing is one skill that has definatly come in handy over the years, not that it's applicable to what I do now!!!!!
littlemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-08-2003, 17:08   #2

Post Re: Sat. job's

I worked at Mary's Music for a few years, it was great fun. Used to love getting promo music before it came out, and faking the gallup charts by scanning records that I liked through the machine too many times (hehe - shhhh)!
ukbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 21:15   #3
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

I had a tea time job at Marlborough Rd chippy when we used to live there, monday to friday.  Also mucked out horses at Marions riding school in Rishton (in exchange for free horseriding) Saturday mornings and all day sunday. Used to help pack up a market stall once or twice a month too saturday evenings. Bloody hell! I was busy as a kid.  

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 22:41   #4
Accy Goddess

Had a Saturday job before I left school. I worked stacking shelves in the Asda afterschool for a couple of hours and all day Saturday. My first job when I left school at 15 was working for G.U.S in the offices. Had loads of jobs over the years even though I got married at 16 and now have 4 grown up children. 4 children.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2003, 22:54   #5

Anne, !!   - four children at 16? And I thought the kids these days were bad!    
Old 25-08-2003, 23:04   #6
Accy Goddess

No got married at 16 ad first child at almost 18. Think ad better ammend wording of posting. Not that bad uk bug. Suppose the shocking bit is that i got married at 16 and still with the same guy.
Old 25-08-2003, 23:07   #7

hehe - editing is cheating! now i look silly, oh well!  
Old 25-08-2003, 23:18   #8
Accy Goddess

Amended posting it reads better now ukbug. Think i`d av been good to av ad 4 kids at sixteen.
Old 27-08-2003, 12:34   #9
tracey33 and angie35

i worked at wholesale market blackburn taking phone orders for fruit and veg free had a good time  
Old 27-08-2003, 14:47   #10
adi

i used to clean tables at the Eating House Cafe opposite the Town Hall (then immediately blow my wage in the arcade!!).

the things you do for money............... :
adi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2003, 10:59   #11
Senior Member+

I did'nt have a sat job, but my first job when leaving school was at antley villa dentist and earned the grand sum of £5 a week working 9 till 6 plus sat morning. thats what i called slave labour. by the time i had paid my bus fares bought my dinners all week there was not much left to pay my dad for board. seems to be a lot more money about these days.
Old 29-08-2003, 15:56   #12
Jo

Worked on Saturdays at café on Little Blackburn Rd but the boss was a cow (probably still is) so moved to Frozen Food Shop in Blackburn. During the week worked every teatime and some suppers at Burnely Rd Chippy. Summer jobs at Hargreaves Mill and Hyndburn playscheme.
Thing I learned most from these jobs which I apply to my current role? Don't treat your employees and assistants as dirt (happened to me loads, don't know about you lot). Anyway, it's made me turn into a good boss (I think!!?!)
Jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2003, 21:26   #13
Senior Member+

Jo we will have to ask your workers about that first
Old 12-07-2004, 18:12   #14
I am Band

Re: Sat. job's

I used to work in the butchers shop at the end of Cromwell Avenue, next to Moorhead School. I normally worked a couple of hours most evenings of the week, and on Saturday mornings, when I should have been revising for my O-levels.

The job involved scrubbing the wooden and synthetic chopping boards, as well as the stainless steel display counter trays. I wasn't allowed to cut or serve the meat because I hadn't been on the appropriate health and safety course. The majority of my job was just general cleaning duties.

One Saturday morning, I went to the abbatoirs in Gt. Harwood. It was like walking through the film set of a John Carpenter horror movie, going into the cold store, where all the offal and entrails were hung. But if God didn't want us to eat animals, He wouldn't have made them taste so good, would he???

The pay was about 70p per hour, which was a pittance really. This shortfall was made up by choice cuts of meat at knockdown prices, usually on a Friday or Saturday. Another perk was as many free bones as Mark I, my first Cocker Spaniel could eat. Once, I picked up a ham shank bone by mistake, (very salty). The dog chewed the bone all Saturday afternoon, quenched a raging thirst all Saturday evening and proceeded to sh*t and p*ss all over the kitchen floor during Saturday night. Oops! Needless to say, a major b*llocking ensued from my Old Dear.

I was offered a YTS placement as a slave at the shop, but chose to be a wannabe lecky instead. Here I am now; slaving away, but seeing the world at someone elses expense.

Any ramblings, meanderings, thoughts or musings are mine and mine alone. Any opinions expressed are Lettie's!
Sparkologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 19:06   #15

Re: Sat. job's

I can't believe i missed this thread..

I was a busy little-un me..
Mum and dad said that from 13 i should earn my pocket money, so i got myself a sunday paper round at Alfs on Nuttall st. That soon turned into a regular evening telegraph round + a sunday round....

Then i got a job on the market at Simons Fabrics, loading his van with gear and putting up/pulling down his stall. Then i got a job on another stall at the same time Maureens Shoes , putting up and taking down the stalls Tue Fri and Sat. Then i was head hunted (at 14 i might add) by a mancunian guy who had a sports stall on a tuesday, and paid better money than Simons, so i went there..
So i then did Maureens 3 days a week, sports stall on tuesdays,and maureen started doing a sunday market in Scarborough!! I was Loaded!!!!!.
For a while me and our kid put up rthe majority of the freestanding stalls on accy outdoor market.
At about 15 i started hanging around witha lad from school who worked on a farm, and offered my services there for quite a while for £5 a day BARGAIN!!
Whilst working there i landed a job at Martholme Grange. What a job! I worked 7 till 11 washing up and averaged 3 courses for 300 people fridays and saturdays (believe me thats a lot of dishes) than worked 11 till 2 Glass collecting, then poured the ale for the regular staff perties till gone 6!! (no money passed over the bar i might add) And during all this i managed to get an apprenticeship and went to college 1 day and 1 night a week, where i'm still working 10 years later.

People work for money!
If you want loyalty, get a dog!!!
WINGY is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..