Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2006, 21:51   #1
Give, give, give member

Now you see it, now you don't.

Another empty property in Oswaldtwistle.

The old Post Office, that re-opened as one of Kevin Horkin's Spex glasses shops, has closed down after opening in a blaze of publicity before Christmas.

That now joins the aromatheraphy/candle shop which lasted barely a month.

Yet the council are still intent on passing plans for more proposed new retail units in the borough, as well as wanting to expand the retail park at Whitebirk.

Madness.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-03-2006, 07:41   #2

Re: Now you see it, now you don't.

Such a shame about the shops in ossy, it used to be a thriving little town but now your ok if you want something to eat, a pint or your hair cut! Try to find owt you need and your stumped!!
Old 26-03-2006, 09:02   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda

Yet the council are still intent on passing plans for more proposed new retail units in the borough, as well as wanting to expand the retail park at Whitebirk.
I'm not sure that the Council are intent on passing these plans, in fact I think it's the opposite and a lot of Councillors are set against them.

I received a letter today, that I presume has been sent to all the residents in Hyndburn, from Peel Holdings asking for comments from residents. I presume that is because they want to get some support for their planning application. Did anyone else recieve one?

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 14:26   #4
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

We have not received anything unless it was inside the freebie paper, in which case it would be shredded and put in the paper sack along with the other unwanted junk
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 16:45   #5
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
I'm not sure that the Council are intent on passing these plans, in fact I think it's the opposite and a lot of Councillors are set against them.

I received a letter today, that I presume has been sent to all the residents in Hyndburn, from Peel Holdings asking for comments from residents. I presume that is because they want to get some support for their planning application. Did anyone else recieve one?
Yes, very nice and glossy, but is that not the sort of place everyone shops at now for the larger domestic items. That is unless you can find what you want in Accys £1 shops. What do our Councillors want, not so sure they know themselves The plan put forward by Peel Holdings would provide more shops/stores and provide employment, not forgetting the extra business rates HBC would get.

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
Albert Einstein.

park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 16:51   #6
God Member

My view is that these large out of town places exist anyway - Bolton, Preston, Manchester, etc and people do travel to them. So we are currently losing out on that investment. With that argument it makes sense to have one built in Hyndburn like Park says so that we get some of the extra employment and business.

However, it could be the final nail in Accrington's coffin if it isn't done properly. I would like to see some provisos that there is a significant portion of investment from these companies in the town centre as well. We can't just agree to the retail park without ensuring that we have a long term plan for the town centres. As far as I can see that's where we're lacking. The two can sit side by side if done properly. As I've said in other threads, lots of small towns have survived retail parks by becoming more quirky or individual.

Old 29-03-2006, 13:32   #7
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
Yes, very nice and glossy, but is that not the sort of place everyone shops at now for the larger domestic items. That is unless you can find what you want in Accys £1 shops. What do our Councillors want, not so sure they know themselves The plan put forward by Peel Holdings would provide more shops/stores and provide employment, not forgetting the extra business rates HBC would get.
Yes but at what cost?

There are already quite enough retail parks within easy driving distance, why do we need a bigger one?

Old 29-03-2006, 13:45   #8
God Member

Because if we have one in Hyndburn the area will benefit as a whole from the increased investment, ground rents, rates and employment opportunities. Like you say, people already drive out of the area to these places so why not have one within the area to get all the benefits?

However, I will keep saying, that I would only approve it myself if there were some provisos included i.e. some additional investment from these companies in the town centres as well.

Old 29-03-2006, 13:46   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
why do we need a bigger one?
Because our pathetic little Boots doesn't sell Emily's dummies any more
Old 29-03-2006, 15:33   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Yes but at what cost?
Do you mean, what cost to build the new stores, or at what cost to Accrington town centre.......................£1

Albert Einstein.

Old 30-03-2006, 01:31   #11
God Member

You may find that if you dont find an out of town space for some stores they'll just close and leave. boots and wh smith are both moving out of town centres to retail parks.
Where is whitebirk, thought that's in blackburn. If it is, logically, the people who are going there are setting out go out of accy to a retail park, They've made a conscious decision to go to a retail park, and if it wasn't whitebirk it would be preston or bury.
I don't know why you keep mentioning on here accy is just pound shops cos i only saw two when i was up. I told the guy at clayton tnt that i was popping into accy and he said its ok for pound shops too.
Perhaps you should stop slating your own town for something it's not, ccy is not that bad a town centre, you've got lots of high street shops, you've got some lovely buildings.
It's ossy that needs regenerating. Shopping trends have changed, wether you like it or not, retail parks are in, small towns and markets are out, people travel to the bigger shopping areas. Ossy is small but perfectly formed, but hasnt got the footfall to sustain the shops you mention. Building more shops is not the answer.
Come and write every night, chat with a hula melody
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 07:03   #12
God Member

Whitebirk technically falls under Hyndburn for rates etc

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2006, 07:07   #13
Senior Member+

That part of Whitebirk is in Hyndburn, so any new shops would mean more rates for HBC. I think that the people saying "No" to this development should be looking at ways of keeping Accy centre alive.

Albert Einstein.

Old 31-03-2006, 16:12   #14
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by park381
That part of Whitebirk is in Hyndburn, so any new shops would mean more rates for HBC. I think that the people saying "No" to this development should be looking at ways of keeping Accy centre alive.
Although technically in Hynburn, and our coffers would be increased through rates etc., it would be another nail in the coffin of Accrington as a place to shop.

Old 31-03-2006, 16:29   #15
God Member

If they did biuld one we might as well just build housing in the town centre. Shops struggle as it is with the out of towners as it is without shoving another one in the boundries.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..