Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-11-2005, 16:23   #1
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

£1 Million Spend in Oswaldtwistle

I thought that would get you looking.

Last night at the Area Council Meeting it was annouced that the proposed Britannia Crossroads will be converting into the Britannia roundabout. The scheme discussed at a previous Area Council Meeting is to build a roundabout to reduce the number of accidents. The project manager from LCC stated the cost would be £900,000 not including any compulsary land purchases. Originally the scheme had to complete with several other road safety schemes in the County. From what was said at last nights meeting the Area Council have managed to get this scheme passed which is good news for all of us who use that junction daily.
Old 23-11-2005, 18:31   #2
God Member

Re: £1 Million Spend in Oswaldtwistle

It is a dodgy junction that one. It is one of the few places I reckon a 30mph limit with speed cameras 100yds before it would have a real safety benefit.

Ian
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 18:42   #3
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

A Police Officer at the September ( I think ) Area Council Meeting suggested making it a 4 way stop so everyone has to stop. The LCC traffic engineer explained that the Dept of Transport do not and will never allow us to have 4 way stops. ( Maybe they should listen to Police suggestions )
Old 23-11-2005, 23:00   #4
Give, give, give member

It seems a massive amount of money to spend. From the statement that it is going to include compulsary purchasing land, I take it that it is going to be a rather large roundabout.

Surely a mini roundabout would have meant that the traffic that speeds up and down Haslingden Old Road would have had to stop and thus the danger would still be reduced? It shouldn't be about the size of the thing, as the princilpes would be the same.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2005, 23:03   #5
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I have seen the plans for it and it is not that large. It will be between the current crossroads and the houses towards Oswaldtwistle. Please dont start the 'what else could we spend it on' campaign. It is not Hyndburn money but Lancashire money. If we can get it off them then lets build it.
Old 23-11-2005, 23:06   #6
Give, give, give member

Bloody hell, if it ain't that big then I think I'll get in a tender in for ONLY £500,000, and I'll throw in a few decorative shrubs as well.

Old 24-11-2005, 08:46   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
I have seen the plans for it and it is not that large. It will be between the current crossroads and the houses towards Oswaldtwistle. Please dont start the 'what else could we spend it on' campaign. It is not Hyndburn money but Lancashire money. If we can get it off them then lets build it.
Yes, it's Lancashire money but we pay a heck of a lot of money to LCC from our Hyndburn Council tax don't we? So you can't argue that it's free money but I will agree that we should get as much back as possible from them.

It does seem a lot though but I don't know what the going rate for a roundabout is.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 08:54   #8
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle
It does seem a lot though but I don't know what the going rate for a roundabout is.
When my kids were younger it used to be 50p for about five minutes, When my grand-daughter is old enough to be taken to the Fair I will give you an update on the prices.

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 09:03   #9
God Member

I think we know Less, prices have gone up - it's £900k now. Hope your Grand-daughter only wants one go!

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 09:10   #10
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
I think we know Less, prices have gone up - it's £900k now. Hope your Grand-daughter only wants one go!
No Gayle it would cost £900K if I wanted to buy it! To hire one seat on it for just five minutes wouldn't come anywhere near that price unless your using P.B's method of calculation!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 15:31   #11
God Member

Quote:
Yes, it's Lancashire money but we pay a heck of a lot of money to LCC from our Hyndburn Council tax don't we? So you can't argue that it's free money but I will agree that we should get as much back as possible from them.

A raised lump of tarmack painted white cant be that dear. Falkirk council built a roundabout and landscaped it like a desert island with damaged boat for 50k.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 15:31   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
A raised lump of tarmack painted white cant be that dear. Falkirk council built a roundabout and landscaped it like a desert island with damaged boat for 50k.
Will take a pic and post.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2005, 16:13   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUGGIE J
We are not talking about a mini roundabout. It is a proper roundabout with all four roads leading to it moved to accomodate it. There was a scale drawing of it at the Area Council Meeting in September.
Old 24-11-2005, 16:18   #14
Give, give, give member

I still think it sounds extraordinarily expensive. A mini-roundabout would have achieved the same ends as posted earlier.

Old 24-11-2005, 16:31   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Not according to the chap from LCC Highways Dept. He said it needed to be a proper roundabout so cars had to slow down and go around it not just speed over it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..