Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2004, 12:57   #1
Senior Member+

Question Rhyddings park history ??

On moving into our house a few years ago, I embarked on doing some research on the history of Rhyddings park. Found some interesting information about things in the park and their origins, Most fascinating was the house that once stood proud in the "park" which was the garden for this splendid house.Ryhddings Hall.
The picture's that excist on file in they library are wonderful to look at, the house was built for mill owner Mr Watson, and was a beautiful building, after this house was given to the council they in there wisdom used and abused it until they chose to demolish it along with part of our Beautiful heritage.
I will not dribble on at length about the many things you can find in your local library given TIME..

But I did wonder if anyone else had done any research into this bit of history????? Because one thing I have tried to find out about without results is the fact that Rhyddings hall was built on the site of what was described as " Rhyddings old hall" which made my mind wander as to what this was?? But can not find any information on this.... Can anyone else help???
simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-09-2004, 23:10   #2
Senior Member+

Rhyddings park history

Hi, sorry I cannot add any further information, but .. here's an old post card view for you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rhyddings.jpg (85.3 KB, 187 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 18:28   #3
Senior Member+

Re: Rhyddings park history ??

Thank's Atarah Not seen that pic before.....The left side of the building as we see it in this picture, Just out of sight was a wonderful large "Conservatory" on the side..
Old 19-10-2004, 21:18   #4
God Member

The house was also owned by the Bulough family around the turn of the century.
Old 19-10-2004, 21:57   #5
Resident Waffler

It's tragic that we had so many fine buildings which are now lost.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2004, 06:02   #6

Very interesting Simon...I don't know how I missed this thread for so long.

It seems strage that the "new" Rhyddings Hall should be built on the site of the "old" Rhyddings Hall. Now just what was that and when was it built. I haven't seen any old maps of Ossy, but there must be some, somewhere.

Funny isn't it that something that happened only a 150 years or so ago, is now lost. I wish I could go into the Library and have a look myself. Is Ossy library still open?
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2004, 13:36   #7
Senior Member+

Hi Darby, Yes Ossy library is open and that was my first port of call for research a while ago. But they told me such history is at Accrington library, which is where I spent a while looking into it

One photo I saw showed people queing up to enter the newly opened Rhydding's park in 1910 ish, To see how everybody dressed up for the occasion (despite poverty) was fascinating. Pride it was called .

When I get time to find any old pic's again I will scan them and let you all have a look.
Old 28-10-2004, 08:01   #8
Senior Member+

Rhyddings park history

The earliest mention I can find of Rhyddings is this - it was formerly the home of the Riddings family. It was certainly there in the 1500's. This old hall was pulled down in 1853 by Mr Robert Watson and he erected Rhyddings Hall in 1854 - the estate was very extensive, the entrance to the grounds beginning at Rhyddings Mill (erected 1856). The hall was occupied by the Bullough family for a time, but in 1910 the hall and grounds were purchased by the District Council for a public park. Most of the pictures in the gallery were given to the Council by the late John Bradley, of St Annes, who was of an old Oswaldtwistle family. One of the paintings in the gallery is one by Cattermole of an old English homestead in the 17th century. (have a feeling this may be up Haworth Art Gallery!)

The old tower left in the grounds (I am assuming this is still there????) is said to have been a portion of old Rhyddings Hall.
Old 29-10-2004, 18:09   #9
Senior Member+

Thank's a lot Atarah, very interesting. yes the tower is still there but if left to decay much more and HBC will be pulling it down for HEALTH and SAFETY

Where do you find your info Atarah ?? Or is that a secret
Old 29-10-2004, 23:09   #10
Senior Member+

Rhyddings park history

Where do you find your info Atarah ?? Or is that a secret

I just go back in time ........
Attached Images
File Type: gif tardis.gif (15.8 KB, 69 views)
Old 27-11-2004, 09:44   #11
Senior Member+

yeh the parkis class waith the new playground now just were all mi mates go n hang out
MCR ADIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 16:04   #12
Senior Member+

Thumbs down Re: Rhyddings park history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah
The earliest mention I can find of Rhyddings is this - it was formerly the home of the Riddings family. It was certainly there in the 1500's. This old hall was pulled down in 1853 by Mr Robert Watson and he erected Rhyddings Hall in 1854 - the estate was very extensive, the entrance to the grounds beginning at Rhyddings Mill (erected 1856). The hall was occupied by the Bullough family for a time, but in 1910 the hall and grounds were purchased by the District Council for a public park. Most of the pictures in the gallery were given to the Council by the late John Bradley, of St Annes, who was of an old Oswaldtwistle family. One of the paintings in the gallery is one by Cattermole of an old English homestead in the 17th century. (have a feeling this may be up Haworth Art Gallery!)

The old tower left in the grounds (I am assuming this is still there????) is said to have been a portion of old Rhyddings Hall.
Yes the "old tower is still there, but now in a poor state of repair as are most areas of the park, the only thing thats in good condition is "the new childrens play area" but I'm sure that will soon be damaged
park381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2004, 16:47   #13
Senior Member+

Angry Re: Rhyddings park history ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR ADIM
yeh the parkis class waith the new playground now just were all mi mates go n hang out
Assume you are over 12 years old, so that will be at night EH!
Old 24-12-2004, 17:48   #14
Senior Member+

Hi
This the Tower
Old 03-02-2005, 12:44   #15
Senior Member+

Some nice pics of ryhddings hall

http://www.ossygobbin2003.fotopic.net/p954768.html

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..