Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Oswaldtwistle
Donate! Join Today

Oswaldtwistle If your from ossy, feel free to hang around in here!

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-03-2008, 09:58   #1

Tinker & Budget

I notice the tinker is now closed, another pub bites the dust.
firefighter753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-03-2008, 10:28   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Tinker & Budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter753 View Post
I notice the tinker is now closed, another pub bites the dust.
he landlord has taken over the Cross I believe, well if he hasn't yet he is doing
Old 22-03-2008, 10:44   #3

The pub crawl is getting smaller
Old 22-03-2008, 14:07   #4
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

do you realise that the only pubs in ossy now are:-
Blackdog
Rose and crown
royal oak
bay horse and then printers

whats happened to the pubs??
bad landlords thats what!
they are letting any tom, dick and harry run them
Old 22-03-2008, 14:19   #5

My god your right

FROM THIS

1. Commercial Hotel, built in 1834
2. Conservative Club, moved to roughly the present site in 1896 when they obtained a lease on the stone building at the rear, which was formerly Mrs Jacksons school (note angle bracket on wall). Pesent building dates from 1927.
3. Greyhound Inn, 45 Market St, Church. Built in the 1850's, with a number of typical victorian features, (note ashlar facade)
4. Rose Bud, 53 Market St, Church. Demolished end of 1960's
5. Musicians Inn, 61 Market St, Church. One of the licensed premises that few can recall. Original building lease 1820 shown on 1848 map, lost it's license between 1906 - 9 remained as a house until at least 1937.
6. Railway Hotel, 63 Market St, Church. A very substantial building erected in the 1850's by a local builder. Closed in the 1970's.
7. Railway Inn, 77 Market St, Church. Original building lease 1852, shown as a beerhouse in 1906, lost it's license prior to WW 1.
8. Royal Arms, 6 Union Rd, Oswaltwistle. This was built just after the turn of the century on the site of the old Thwaites Arms.
9. Fishermans Arms. 7 Union Rd, Oswaldtwistle. On corner of Clayton St, building shown on map of 1848, lost it's license prior to WW 1.
10. The Startled Fox, 17 Union Rd, Oswaldtwistle. A mid 19th Century beerhouse, now Famenco Cafe, lost it's license prior to WW 1.
11. Castle Inn, 23 Union Rd. A substantial three storey building only reduced to it's present state in 1980. (Water shot stone coursing).
12. The Printers Arms, 47 Union Rd. Early 19th century, shown as licensed premises in 1840 rate book. Owned at some by James Simpson, Calico Printers, Foxhill Bank. Story handed down that he paid his workers, when possible, in sovereigns-so that they had to change them in the Printers! Rear is Duncan Square, properties built by the Peel family to house there workers. (Named after Admiral Duncan, a colleague of Nelson's) Later known as The Green when property cleared.
13. Cricketers Arms, 52/54 Union Rd. Site now occupied by Badge Brow Service Station.
14. Carters Arms, 61 Union Rd. Now A second hand shop, note substantial buildings to the rear. Possibly stabling facilities for horses used at Moscow Mill, (or horse drawn tramway that passed down Collier St next to pub?)
15. Skinners Arms, 74 Union Rd, Built 1820's as speculative building by John Barlow, in 1837 shown as a beerhouse, lost it's license in 1905. Now J A Coliiers, Solicitors.
16. Rising Sun, 96/98 Union Rd, Lost it's license in 1903, later converted to shops. Demolished 1970's.
17. Prince of Wales, 97 Union Rd, Original building lease 1846, victim of 1960's clearance scheme, now St Mary's Court.
18. Masons Arms, 110 Union Rd, Formerly a beerhouse, now Wheels garage.
19. Horse Shoe, 111 Union Rd, Built 1851/2, demolished along with Prince of Wales.
20. Foxhill Hotel, 136/138 Union Rd, Built circa 1850.
(No licenced premises ever built between Straits & Tinker & Budget, ??covenants on land to prevent building licensed premises??.
21. Tinker and Budget, 218 Union Rd. Building lease 1820. (Origin of name never explained)
22. Bay Horse, 226 Union Rd. Former posting house.
23. Plane Tree, 236 Union Rd, Beerhouse. Property still standing 1981, now empty shop.
24. Grey Horse, 240/246 Union Rd, Built 1820, lost license 1903, demolished late 1970's.
25. Golden Cross, 251 Union Rd, Public house been on this site from 1780's, Known as Three Crowns in 1848.
26. Rose Bud, 253/254 Union Rd, demolished along with Grey Horse.
27. Old House At Home, 285 Union Rd, Early 19th Century, demolished 1913 to provide site for library.
28. Black Lion, 296 Union Rd, Lost license in 19112. Later became Irish Democratic League, now Royal British Legion.
29. Queens Head, 322/324 Union Rd, now Hothersalls chemist.
30. Miners Arms. 329 Union Rd, Built 1860's beerhouse, now private house.
31. Royal Oak, 334 Union Rd, One of the few licensed premises with date stones incorporated into building (185632. Star Inn, 336 Union Rd, Lost licence in 1903, has had numerous uses since.
32. Rose and Crown, 372 uUnion Rd, Built mid-19th century.
34. Black Dog, 384 Union Rd.Built 1820's

TO THIS

Blackdog
Rose and crown
royal oak
bay horse
printers

RIP to the pub trade.
Old 22-03-2008, 15:40   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
Blackdog
Rose and crown
royal oak

ya dont honestly think thats made a big differance Panther? the Pub Trade is dying compounded by the smoking ban,i was speakin to the landlord of the cross axes at great harwood the other week, a decent guy ex RAF his takings are now down 75% since the start of the ban. he said it didn't make much differance initially,until the cold weather started. he also told me the " Brewery" had rung him up accusing him of (buying out) cos his barrelage was down, he had asked them to spend a bit on the space he has out back, to make a suitable area fer smokers,.... they said ok but we want another £2000 per annum rent obviously he had to decline.
Old 23-03-2008, 11:43   #7
Senior Member+

Theres also:

The Heys
The Stop & Rest
The Plough

although I admit they are a bit out of the way!
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 11:47   #8
God Member

Some of those in that long list closed due to actions of The Temperance Movement
..that was another load of 'do gooders'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 15:22   #9
God Member

Quote:
Blackdog
Rose and crown
royal oak

Those are just the ones on Union Road, not the whole of Ossy.

As Lolly pointed out, there's The Heys, The Plough and The Stop and Rest.

There's also The Hare and Hounds on Blackburn Road, The Brewers, Thwaites Road
The White Bull on New Lane.

They are not on the main 'crawl' though, are they? That crawl is getting smaller.
Old 23-03-2008, 16:17   #10

Quote:
Blackdog
Rose and crown
royal oak

Got to disagree there! The landlords are fighting an uphill battle. End of the day, the only money to be made in the pub trade is either managed houses (where the landlord gets a wage) or freehold

Dont think I have set foot in a pub since the smoking ban, and sure i'm not in the only one
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 16:25   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyme View Post
Got to disagree there! The landlords are fighting an uphill battle. End of the day, the only money to be made in the pub trade is either managed houses (where the landlord gets a wage) or freehold

Dont think I have set foot in a pub since the smoking ban, and sure i'm not in the only one
It saddens me to see all these pubs shutting. The ones that do food seem to be ok for the time being but our local boozers are going the same way as the post offices, they will be a thing of the past soon.

It's funny how all this was never a big issue before the smoking ban.

Labour were always the party for the working man, or so they say.

You can't get more working class than having a pint and a fag in your local at the end of a busy day at work. They didn't do the working man any favours with this smoking ban, did they? They have completely destroyed the licensed trade in my opinion.
Old 23-03-2008, 17:42   #12
God Member

Quote:
Blackdog
Rose and crown
royal oak

I resent that remark panther I dont class myself as tom dick or harry. nor do i class my husband as such who before I met him was the second longest running tennant of the tinker. The first being Jessie.

The top and bottom of pubs closing today is that breweries have got too greedy and concentrate more on managed houses than tenancies .
Yes there are bad landlord/ladies but they arent really behind the pub closures. they come from the breweries draining every penny they can from any sorce they can.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 18:38   #13
God Member

Theres also the Rhoden in Ossy

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 18:39   #14
God Member

Why's no-one mentioned the Golden Cross? is that shut at the min??

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 18:41   #15
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.S.H View Post
Why's no-one mentioned the Golden Cross? is that shut at the min??
yep so is tinker

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..