Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2011, 17:15   #16
Give, give, give member

Re: Robert Peel

The following account was written almost 150-years ago, and gives a contemporary picture of the Peel Family, as published in Hoggs' Instructor in the Autumn of 1852, within two years of the death of Prime Minister Peel.

The Peel Family

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-11-2011, 20:52   #17

Thanks for the link
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:07   #18
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
The following account was written almost 150-years ago, and gives a contemporary picture of the Peel Family, as published in Hoggs' Instructor in the Autumn of 1852, within two years of the death of Prime Minister Peel.

The Peel Family
Had never heard of this local connection.

Wonderful article - shows what a chage there has been from the age where Britain was becoming "Great" to the debacle of todays British "Statesmen".

What a change in values!

PM Robert Peel's Father said of his own father: "... he so accurately appreciated the importance of commercial wealth in a national point of view, that he was often heard to say, that the gains to the individual were small compared with the national gain arising from trade."

"Seest thou a man diligent in his business, said he,
he shall stand before kings."

No nepotism, in favour of manufacturing and trade in the National interest, personal gain not a prime concern...I wonder where and at what point these values fell along the wayside.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 13:22   #19
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
No nepotism, in favour of manufacturing and trade in the National interest, personal gain not a prime concern...I wonder where and at what point these values fell along the wayside.
Hard to say.

Harder still, to admit they did.

Old 09-11-2011, 15:08   #20
God Member

Sorry to go so far off thread!

19th century Great Britain become the first global economic superpower, because of superior manufacturing technology and improved global communications.

Globalisation is probably at the root of any loss in nationalistic and human values, there are some who believe that the current recession which is hitting the industrialised world will eventually lead to a de-globalisation e.g. the possible break-down of the Eurozone, and a return to Nationalistic principles.

The past has always shown that any Empire which over-stretches itself eventually implodes.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 15:37   #21

Garinda have you got this photo ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910s-stanhill-nr-accrington-blackburn.jpg (236.0 KB, 22 views)
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 16:13   #22
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Thanks very much, I have seen that photograph. I saw it on the Lancashire Lantern site.

It's taken from in front of the Methodist Chapel on Nab Lane, looking towards the cottages, just next to where the now demolished Noel's pickle factory stood.

Hargreaves lived in what's now the old post office, and where he's thought to have invented his Spinning Jenny.

Photo of Stanhill, the Post Office c1955 - Francis Frith

I remember it as where I used to buy my sweets, off a nice lady called Doreen.

Old 09-11-2011, 16:27   #23
Bee
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadey View Post
Great photo Wadey
Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 16:32   #24
Give, give, give member

Does anyone know exactly where the Old Tower, was at Peel Fold, and when it must have been demolished?

I know the area fairly well, but from the photograph, can't work out where it's location was.

Lancashire Lantern | Subjects | Item

The only other information states...'This was a land mark for many years but was of no significance other than it was built by Roger Baron of Cabin End who died in 1820.'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.php.jpg (70.6 KB, 21 views)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..