Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Hall Of Fame (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/)
-   -   Robert Peel (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f120/robert-peel-31299.html)

egg&chips 10-06-2007 21:21

Robert Peel

My dad always told me that Robert Peel was born in Oswaldtwistle in the house off the road up the top of Stanhill. (On the right opposite Kemp Delph but a bit further on). All the history books/sites tell me it was Bury instead!! Anybody sort this one out?

Doug 10-06-2007 22:23

Re: Robert Peel

Hope this helps

Robert Peel

steeljack 10-06-2007 22:58

think your Dad is getting him mixed up with James Hargreaves the chap who invented the spinning jenny
Spinning Jenny - James Hargreaves

garinda 10-06-2007 23:20

The manor belongs to Sir Robert Peel, Bart. Peelfold, where the first Sir Robert Peel spent his early years, is in Knuzden-Brook. Bellthorn House, Stanhill House, Knuzden Hall, and Mount Pleasant are chief re-sidences.

GENUKI: Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire genealogy

I always thought his family lived only at Peel Fold, but your Dad may be right with a Stanhill connection.

In the C18th a Gothic horror writer lived in Stanhill Hall, but whose name escapes me.

garinda 10-06-2007 23:27

The Peels are said to have come to Blackburn from Craven (fn. 15) about 1600 and engaged in the cloth trade. (fn. 16) Robert Peel in 1731 purchased an estate in Oswaldtwistle, known then as Oldham's Cross, (fn. 17) and since as Peel Fold. His grandson Robert (1723–95), while farming in Blackburn, was led to join a calico-printing business, and invented a process of block-printing; he made other improvements and greatly extended his business. Riots and factory-wrecking caused him to move to Burton-on-Trent, but on retiring he lived at Ardwick. The descendants of his eldest son William still own Peel Fold. The third son was the above-named Sir Robert Peel, created a baronet in 1800. (fn. 18)
From: 'Townships: Oswaldtwistle', A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 6 (1911), pp. 404-09. URL: Townships: Oswaldtwistle | British History Online. Date accessed: 11 June 2007.

Townships: Oswaldtwistle | British History Online

Wynonie Harris 11-06-2007 12:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by garinda (Post 433535)
In the C18th a Gothic horror writer lived in Stanhill Hall, but whose name escapes me.

Whoever he/she is, it's a good job they don't live there now. After all the sheenanigans over the teacher at St Christopher's, they'd probably be hounded out of the area!

stanleybabe 14-11-2007 18:02

We're a nice tolerant bunch in Stanhill, Wynonie!
I didn't know about the gothic horror writer, but Moorwell Mansion House in William Westall's "The Old Factory" is supposedly modelled on Stanhill Hall.
James Hargreaves invented the Spinning Jenny is what was Stanhill Post Office.

Stanleybabe :)

rosegrove 16-11-2007 17:44

i live in the village where sir robert peel is buried he is in the vaults with all the peels drayton bassett near tamworth staffs

derekgas 17-11-2007 08:42

It seems there may be more than one famous robert peel, the robert peel - bury connection is the robert peel who founded the police force, hence the early name for policemen being 'peelers', there is a statue of this robert peel on the wylde in bury.

garinda 17-11-2007 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by derekgas (Post 494784)
It seems there may be more than one famous robert peel, the robert peel - bury connection is the robert peel who founded the police force, hence the early name for policemen being 'peelers', there is a statue of this robert peel on the wylde in bury.

Sir Robert's grandfather, also Robert Peel, was born at Peel Fold in Oswaldtwistle, before moving down market to Bury.:D

Gayle 17-11-2007 09:56

I thought Robert Peel was the reason they were called 'Bobbies'

garinda 17-11-2007 10:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 494800)

It is. Sir Robert Peel, grandson of the Ossy born Robert 'Parsley' Peel.

derekgas 17-11-2007 13:58

That is also true Gayle.

beechy 17-11-2007 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gayle (Post 494800)

i thought they were originally called peelers
after robert peel :confused:

rosegrove 18-11-2007 16:05

yes its the same buried at drayton bassett church the peel family home was drayton manor now a pleasure park he was prime minster for queen victoria and started the police i/e peelers or bobbies the last peel died in the 2nd world war at sea in the royal navy. he was the last in the line