Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Accrington Hall Of Fame
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Hall Of Fame What is Accrington famous for? If there is anything you know, please let us know in here.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 09:22   #1
Senior Member+

Ron Hill, freeman of the borough

Last night in a ceremony in the Town Hall, Ron Hill was presented with the freedom of the borough. The sprightly, fit-as-a-butcher's dog,73yrs old is till running daily even though his world record days and Olympic appearances occurred 40yrs ago. In a gracious acceptance speech, he recalled his days at Spring Hill, Accrington Grammar School, and joining Clayton Harriers before giving a resume of his carreer in which he has raced in a hundred countries. The chamber was filled with friends, family ,Grammar School Old Boys and Harriers.
Afterwards, the Mayor laid on exccellent refreshments in the Whitaker Arms. However, it was some time before Ron appeared, as she had gone on a run up the Coppice with 45 Harriers and members of the Accrington Road Runners. This surely cannot have happened in any other borough in the land.
It came out that the council have got Ron in mind for a street name. I pointed out that there already is a Hill Street, but they have a Ron Hill Street in mind.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-07-2012, 09:27   #2

Re: Ron Hill, freeman of the borough

As long as it's not Ron Hill Walk
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 12:05   #3
Senior Member+

A great evening for a great individual
Old 11-07-2012, 17:24   #4
Senior Member+

I have to ask, cos I dont know.

What exactly do you get for being a "Freeman of the Borough".

Cant be free bus rides, cos Ron is past that magical age, cant be free car parking, cos we have a lot of those anyway in Accrington. (I type these comments with a smile on my face, but I really would like to know what it entails?)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 17:33   #5
Senior Member+

One thing is that he can take his flock of sheep through the town - so it was said last night at the investiture - but they would have to run fast
Old 11-07-2012, 17:35   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
I have to ask, cos I dont know.

What exactly do you get for being a "Freeman of the Borough".

Cant be free bus rides, cos Ron is past that magical age, cant be free car parking, cos we have a lot of those anyway in Accrington. (I type these comments with a smile on my face, but I really would like to know what it entails?)
Think you can herd your sheep through Accy town centre when ever you want
Old 11-07-2012, 18:07   #7

Our group of Accrington Grammar School old boys,Ron Hill:Les. Rooks:Barrie Yates:Jim Southcott:Gordon Pollockavid Stark:Bob Dobson.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1050510.jpg (174.1 KB, 31 views)
TubbyLes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 19:02   #8
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubbyLes View Post
Our group of Accrington Grammar School old boys,Ron Hill:Les. Rooks:Barrie Yates:Jim Southcott:Gordon Pollockavid Stark:Bob Dobson.
Okaaay, so whose is the Handbag under the table then ??? Probably that Manky U fans, you know how they are when things don't go their way, it's all pout, flounce & handbags at 6 yards.
Old 11-07-2012, 19:09   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
Okaaay, so whose is the Handbag under the table then ??? Probably that Manky U fans, you know how they are when things don't go their way, it's all pout, flounce & handbags at 6 yards.
There'll be a lot of that next season Dave
Old 11-07-2012, 19:53   #10
Senior Member+

It belongs to the photographer, who was using Tubby Les' camera whilst he looked after her chair. She seemed to be very friendly with Barrie Yates and got really excited when meeting a lad from Hyndburn Park
Old 11-07-2012, 19:55   #11
Senior Member+

I've been told that Ron got good coverage in the 6pm Granad News, so likely he will be mentioned in the 10pm slot
Old 11-07-2012, 19:59   #12
Senior Member+

Yes it was very good coverage.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:07   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
There'll be a lot of that next season Dave
I am sure that Jay will know whose handbag it is

Will the scousers have leeks, provided by the new manager, in there handbags next season - they had plenty in their defence last season
Old 12-07-2012, 08:43   #14
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
I am sure that Jay will know whose handbag it is

Will the scousers have leeks, provided by the new manager, in there handbags next season - they had plenty in their defence last season
Ya but they still managed to win a trophy Remind me what did the Plastics win
Old 13-07-2012, 21:34   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya but they still managed to win a trophy Remind me what did the Plastics win
Not sure what footy has to do with all this, but the new plastic scouser seems to be getting into the glory hunting spirit already
Mancie is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..