Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Technical & User to User help > Tech Talk > Internet Talk
Donate! Join Today

Internet Talk A place to chat about internet goings on...

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2006, 22:40   #1
Junior Member+

aol broadband?

does anybody else on here use aol boradband? i do use it and have done for about 2 year, i am currently on platinum, but have never acctually reached a 2mb speed, my mam is on aol gold and i am running at the same speeds as her, yet she pays less than me!!!, Now i have supposedly had my connection upgraded to an 8mb but i am still getting the same speeds and never reaching 2 mb,s, when i have contacted aol they have said that ths sometimes happens if your phone lines are rpa or if you are far away from the exchange, to me this is just a rip off
elite_dimension is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-07-2006, 23:19   #2
I am Banned

Re: aol broadband?

my sister uses AOL and finds it very unreliable as it cuts off alot, I use BT and have'nt had a problem ever it is abit dearer but it as never let me down yet and is very fast
who_eat_all_the_pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2006, 23:21   #3
God Member

aol and bargepoles
Old 05-07-2006, 23:23   #4
I am Banned

my sis uses aol and also finds it unreliable as it cuts off alot, I use bt and think its great never lets me down

sorry posted twice by accident
who_eat_all_the_pies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 01:03   #5

I used to be with AOL, in fact I was with them for 4years, I had silver and that never ran at more than 512mb, although they had supoosedly updated me to 1mb. When I complained I got the same stupid excuse about distance from exhange etc. I had lots of problems with them in December last year, and got realy silly answer from the help desk. I finally moved to virgin in late december. They give you afree modem and you don't need to sign up for a12 month contract.

Last edited by claytonender; 06-07-2006 at 10:17.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 09:45   #6
God Member

Aol are one of the worst ISP's i've ever delt with. However, what they are saying could be correct, it also might not be

Do you live in Accrington? You can go to http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

Enter your phone number and postcode then click 'locality'. Post the distance in this thread...

Also, do you happen to know what modem/router you are using?
Old 06-07-2006, 10:25   #7

I agree that AOL are one of the worst internet service providers, and once you have their software on your PC it is difficult to remove all traces of it, even after you have uninstalled it.
If a phone line isn't capable of the speed you are paying for I think your ISP should automatically let you downgrade to a level of service, which your phone line will support. But that would mean them losing money, and they wouldn't like that.
When I phoned AOL to cancel and ask for a MAC code, I was promised all sorts of deals (including a brand new modem), just to stay with them. This really annoyed me as if they had looked after my interests as a customer earlier, when I rang the help desk with problems, they mght have got me to stay with them.
I suppose most ISP think you won't change because of the hassle of a new email address etc.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 00:22   #8
God Member

ok here goes - i'm going against the grain here! I have aol and i dont have any problems with it. I have the silver one and the only i time i had problems with it disconnecting on me was last sunday when we had the thunderstorms. When I had dial up with aol that used to disconnect me at least twice a week but always reconnected me straight away.
shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:12   #9

I have AOL, overall it`s ok, but it`s only one i`ve had so can`t really compare. I know when i`ve had to ring the helpdesk it`s been like the luck of the draw, either a really helpful person or the opposite!

I have stuck with AOL for conveince, as Clayton Ender says all hassle changing e-mail address etc...
those were the days is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..