Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Church (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/)
-   -   whats church really like??? (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f123/whats-church-really-like-54385.html)

littlemiss89 09-08-2010 23:32

whats church really like???

hi guys i am thinking about buying my first house in church, and need some serious advice about the area, would really appreciate your honest opinions : ) so i dont fall flat on my face

Neil 09-08-2010 23:52

Re: whats church really like???

I think you need to tell us the street you are looking at as it could make a big difference to the response you get.

Restless 10-08-2010 06:59

^ agreed with neil

Some of it is ok i guess. But i would recommend reassessing completely whether or not to go anywhere near church to buy a house

Benipete 10-08-2010 08:11

If you have ever seen the TV program Shameless It's about as close as you'll get.:eek:;)

'erindoors 10-08-2010 08:39

We live on Lion St and find it's reasonably quiet. We've never had any trouble here (We're the opposite end to the main road!) xx

flashy 10-08-2010 17:17

my fella lives quite close to you Gail, its dead quiet there too lol

Less 10-08-2010 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 835615)

Why? Is he always around at yours?
;)

cashman 10-08-2010 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'erindoors (Post 835532)
We live on Lion St and find it's reasonably quiet. We've never had any trouble here (We're the opposite end to the main road!) xx

Lion st was fine in the 70s n we lived opposite end.:)

flashy 10-08-2010 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Less (Post 835623)
Why? Is he always around at yours?
;)

actually, no, i tend to go to his, it's quiet at his house, or it is till i get there ;)

Restless 11-08-2010 08:35

Hmm is it one of those across from petrol station? That would be quiet there is only about 5 houses, well i suppose the same goes for before express gifts, not many there either. But Henry Street is not far from scum central. I had a short time on Warmsley Close. Lived with a friend nextdoor to smackheads. Kids used to spit out windows at us, and when the smackheads was off their heads the kids would just throw stuff and bang all night. I was punched in the nose by another smackhead for telling the kids off.....

Then further from that there is Canal Street, Victoria Street etc.... i had a friend who lived around there that was hassled and eventually he was burgled, that was the final straw for his girlfriend and they moved

So there are quiet parts of church. Like somebody said Lion Street is quiet, the area surrounding the sports center is nowhere near as bad as it was. Going back 10 or 15 years ago you would of been safer up Woodnook. Alas most of them have moved or now they are in prison...or dead

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 835787)
actually, no, i tend to go to his, it's quiet at his house, or it is till i get there ;)

MargaretR 11-08-2010 08:48

I lived at the Henry St end of Barnes St.

It wasn't 'quiet'.
Traffic noise from Henry St is constant for 24 hours and reaches a peak at rush hour as the traffic leaves the motorway via Dunkenhalgh Way.

The neighbours weren't 'quiet'.
The walls dividing the houses were single course (no cavity), and noise was a daily nuisance. This became intolerable when the chap next door took in a noisy hyperactive lady friend. Their nightly battles kept me awake many times. I suppose other neighbours found them less of a problem, except when their battles spilled onto the street and police were called (most weekends)

There was a litter problem. When my house was up for sale I went out every morning and filled a carrier bag.

As well as all that there is always the pollution from the nearby traffic and Blythes Chemicals - Most of Church is in the 'hazard zone' which limits redevelopment.

PS - houses sell cheap for a reason - I have oulined just a few

jaysay 11-08-2010 08:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by flashy (Post 835615)

Suppose he lives near the cemetery then;)

AngleIron 11-08-2010 08:59

Used to live on Cranbourne Drive and it was great....it's pretty near the Enfield Cricket Club Area ....

MargaretR 11-08-2010 09:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by AngleIron (Post 836143)
Used to live on Cranbourne Drive and it was great....it's pretty near the Enfield Cricket Club Area ....

I have lived up there too - opposite the cemetary wall on Dill Hall - there is no comparison - it is not regarded as being 'Church' by the locals.
Dill Hall Lane (the steep bit) itself is quite tolerable (lived there too), if you can put up with the traffic noise and litter. The main drawback from living there was its proximity to the notorious estate (I got burgled), which includes the infamous Norfolk Grove - that den of all evils.

Tealeaf 11-08-2010 16:09

There was an old saying in the nineteenth century - 'Englands bread hangs by Lancashire's thread.' Something similar can now be said of Hyndburn borough and it's relationship with Church. The simple fact is that Church contains the biggest private employer within the borough, the highest ratio of wealth creating workforce/local populace, the largest independent search engine within the UK, etc, etc, etc.

So instead of some of you lot complaining about Church, you should be bloody grateful that we're there. I'm quite sure that should Church declare UDI from Hyndburn, then the rest of the borough would rapidly sink to the level of a third world hole such as Bangladesh, Upper Volta or Burnley. So think on that.