Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > General Community Talk > Church
Donate! Join Today

Church A place for the people who want to talk about the area of Church.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2004, 13:44   #1

Bradshaw Street West is really East

I have often wondered why Bradshaw Street (where Sacred Heart Junior School was) is not called Bradshaw Street East. Its continuation is called Bradshaw Street West, and runs onto India Street (at the Triangle), and is East of Bradshaw Street!
The only reason I can think of is that Bradshaw Street West is in Accy; and Bradshaw Street itself is in Church.

Has any of you Sages got any answers? This must be one for Tealeaf, Doug and the rest of the Church bunch!
Darby is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2004, 14:24   #2
God Member

Re: Bradshaw Street West is really East

At a guess, it is probably because Bradshaw Street is in Church, while Bradshaw Steet West is in Accrington (and on the Western side of the town). The alternative is that someone from Accrington Council had his map upside down when it came to naming....at least some things never change.

EDIT.............Oops, I just saw you had the same conclusion. The other possibility is that there is another Bradshaw Street in the town; twe'll leave that for the Accy mob to tell us.

Last edited by Tealeaf; 26-08-2004 at 14:27.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 15:21   #3
God Member

as far as i know there is no other bradshaw st, there is a bradshaw st east in accy though. just done a search in multimap and bradshaw st is not listed any longer, is this because there is nothing on that st anymore? has it been done away with?

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 15:40   #4
God Member

There's a Bradshaw Street running into Burnley Road (as shown on the old maps). It's the second street up going up on the left from Whalley Road. Is it still there? if so, what's it called now? Answers from KSH or the Accy lot, please, and I assume we have an answer to our paradox.
Old 26-08-2004, 15:45   #5
God Member

thats what i understood to be bradshaw st east!!

www.ubuntu.com

Old 26-08-2004, 15:51   #6
God Member

heres a map i found

Attached Images
File Type: jpg map.jpg (52.0 KB, 152 views)

www.ubuntu.com

Old 26-08-2004, 15:55   #7
Filthy / Gorgeous

Bejeweled Blitz Champion!

Bradshaw Street off Burnley Rd in Accy is still there. The pub The Boars Head is on the corner. It's proper moniker is Bradshaw Street East, but the East tends to be dropped from it's title by the locals. I have to drive along this street every day to get to where I live, and I've only ever known it as Bradshaw St.

The views expressed here are my own and not necessarily those of my family, friends, employer, this site, my neighbours, hairdresser, dentist, GP, next door's dog or anyone else who knows me..
lettie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2004, 16:00   #8
God Member

So it's on the new map as BSE and the old map as BS. The same old map has BS(Church) and BSW (Accrington). I would suspect they added the appendix "East" in more recent times just to avoid any confusion for the post office (not that the post office is confused enough)
Old 26-08-2004, 16:17   #9
God Member

so, if bradshaw st east is in the east, and bradshaw st west is west, why is bradshaw st not in the middle of them?
Any idea where the name came from? in Church there was also a Bradshaw row, I think it was where the new sacred heart school is. 3 bradshaws in the same area then, must have been a reason for naming it like that

www.ubuntu.com

Old 26-08-2004, 16:22   #10
God Member

according to this it still exists and is the road where the pioneer club is
Attached Images
File Type: jpg map2.jpg (38.1 KB, 153 views)

www.ubuntu.com

Old 27-08-2004, 05:46   #11

Lots of good research, thanks K.S.H. for the maps (makes it clearer).

Bradshaw Street West still exists. Mick lives on India Street, and can see if the street name is still there.

As kids we always thought that the few little cottages between Bradshaw Street and Bradshaw Street West were on Croft Steet, which then turns right into what is actually Croft Street.
From memory, I don't think anything more exists on Bradshaw Street, its just rubble and waste ground. But those still in Church can look for themselves (it's too far for me to pop over and look).

I have often wondered about the East-West naming of Bradshaw Street, and I came to the conclusion that it was because Bradshaw Street is in Church...the other two (West & East) are in Accy. Confirmation is near impossible to obtain, as Church UDC no longer exists and HBC have difficulty in knowing their ar*e from their elbow. It would only be possible from Th'owd Codgers, if there are any still around!!
Old 27-08-2004, 08:35   #12
God Member

Life on Bradshaw Street is cyclical, each cycle lasting aprox, 6 weeks:

1) Day 1 - Gypo's arrive and set up shop.

2) Days 2 - 28 - Gypo's proceed to thrash the place and scatter rubbish around a half mile radius.

3) Day 29 - HBC applies for an eviction order.

4) Day 36 - Cops arrive with Eviction order and remove Gypos

5) Days 37 - 41 HBC cleans up site.

6) Day 42 - Gypo's arrive and set up shop.
Old 27-08-2004, 09:33   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf
Life on Bradshaw Street is cyclical, each cycle lasting aprox, 6 weeks:

1) Day 1 - Gypo's arrive and set up shop.

2) Days 2 - 28 - Gypo's proceed to thrash the place and scatter rubbish around a half mile radius.

3) Day 29 - HBC applies for an eviction order.

4) Day 36 - Cops arrive with Eviction order and remove Gypos

5) Days 37 - 41 HBC cleans up site.

6) Day 42 - Gypo's arrive and set up shop.
Do I note a little bit of scepticism or intolerance in your posting?

For Bradshaw Street (Church) now read Bradshaw Street (Church) Temporary Travellers Rest
Old 03-09-2004, 12:33   #14
God Member

From today's Telegraph:

Travellers targeted

RESIDENTS today backed plans to deal with travellers setting up unauthorised camps in Hyndburn borough.

The strategy, put forward by Hyndburn Council, follows recent problems with travellers on the former Karrimor site, on the Petre Road industrial estate in Clayton-le-Moors, on land along the King's Highway near Huncoat Quarry, and in Bradshaw Street, Church.

Under the new plan, travellers moving on to unauthorised sites in the borough will be presented with a code of conduct outlining how they will be expected to behave. It also sets out the procedure the council and police will follow from the moment they are notified about the site through to if an eviction procedure is necessary.

People living near land in Bradshaw Street, Church, near to Hyndburn Sports Centre - a popular site for travellers in recent years - today welcomed the strategy.

Donna Coster, 31, of Emma Street, said: "As soon as they come, you end up with rats and mice which get into your house. The travellers leave their rubbish behind and I've got a baby to think about.

"It probably brings property prices down too. It needs dealing with."

Another resident, who asked not to be named, said: "It's a good idea that they can move them on, otherwise they go wherever they want."

Councillor Jean Battle, who has recently helped to deal with problems caused by travellers camping in Bradshaw Street and in King's Highway, Huncoat, also supports the new guidelines.

She said: "I am pleased the council has pulled its finger out. It's extremely important to have a strategy in place to deal with this problem."

But she added more sites should be available in the borough for travellers.

She said: "Legitimate sites have gradually been closed over the years, leaving travellers with nowhere to go. We need to find somewhere suitable for them, not just anywhere, which at the present time is what they do."

The strategy's code of conduct includes keeping groups "small and inconspicuous", keeping the area clean and tidy, not allowing sites to become "polluted with human or animal faeces", keeping animals under control and not blocking rights of way.

It states that eviction action could be taken if travellers fail to comply with the code and if a camp creates an "intolerable nuisance" to the public because of its size, location, nature or duration, a hazard to road safety or health and safety, or causes damage to land or property.

Travellers' health, education, housing and welfare needs will be taken into account before any action is taken.

The council is aiming to avoid conflict and develop a level of trust and understanding with traveller communities.

Stephen Todd, the council's chief environmental services officer, said: "The strategy sets out how we would expect travellers to behave so they don't cause problems. It also outlines what triggers would bring on enforcement action."

Is this totally pathetic on the part of Hyndburn Council or is it not? Can someone please explain to me what good a "code of conduct" will be? There is only one solution to this vermin and that is to get rid of them as soon as they show up....send in bulldozers..whatever it takes.

The fact that Hyndburn Council have people sat on their arse dreaming up these initiatives just makes me sick and just about sums up the compitance (or lack of it) of HBC.

No clogs, I'm afraid A-B.
Old 03-09-2004, 15:10   #15
Senior Member+

When I lived in Yorkshire (I didnt want to the Airforce made me) they had a similar problem on a street they had demolished the Gypos used to park up cause problems for a few weeks then move on after which the tree huggers and dead beats used to arrive with their flower power caravans and trash the site, be moved on, then the gypos would come back. The people in the surrounding area hired a JCB and piled up the bricks, soil, concrete etc in neat piles with no room for a caravan. I know it only moves the problem somewhere else but hey "nimb".

Bazf is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..