Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Street Names (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/street-names-39784.html)

Bob Dobson 27-05-2008 19:58

Street Names

I am very interested in the reasons behind our street names. There is a card index file in the library ( Atarah has done a lot of work on this)

My question now isn't a 'reasons' one, I want to know when Lime Street became Lime Road. It was sometime between 1930 and 1950.

cashman 27-05-2008 22:10

Re: Street Names

question, after 1950 did part of it not remain lime street for years after? used to have a junior school friend that lived on Lime Rd n could be wrong but summat tells me it did.:confused:

Bob Dobson 28-05-2008 08:24

I don't know the answer to that. I have checked my 1951 Barrett's directory and only Lime Rd is listed. If I had time, I would go through the council minutes to see when the change was authorised. There is probably a former resident , retired postman or Town hall worker with this knowledge.

WillowTheWhisp 28-05-2008 11:05

As well as 'when' it would be interesting to know 'why'.

Similarly does anyone know when Cromwell Street became Cromwell Avenue and why?

Less 28-05-2008 11:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 582752)

Perhaps someone wanted to sell their house and a house on Cromwell Avenue sounds better?
:D

katex 28-05-2008 12:53

Quote:

I always understood an avenue was a tree lined street ?

Maybe it was after they planted trees down there ?

slinky 28-05-2008 12:57

Quote:

When was it Cromwell street Willow?? what year did it change??

I have only ever known it to be Cromwell Ave

katex 28-05-2008 13:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by slinky (Post 582896)
When was it Cromwell street Willow?? what year did it change??

I have only ever known it to be Cromwell Ave

Me too Slinky, and have a good few years on you and Willow ...:D

Used to go to one of my Mum's friends who lived there, probably from the age of about 5 years old (60 blooming years ago !!), and then up to school everyday .. so must have been at least before 1949 ?

Actually, have just looked in a local book and it obviously states named after National Heroes (Cromwell), but does say ... 'formerly Cromwell Street' so Willow is correct. No reference to date change though.

Can't ever remember Lime Road being Lime Street though.

Bob Dobson 28-05-2008 19:36

There has long been a perception that road is 'better'than street, and avenue even 'better'. About 100yrs ago, Mary Ann Street was changed to Milton Street (off Castle St) through a residents' campaign (it was probably originally called Mary Ann after a Peel daughter.)
Thwaites STREET , Ossie, was called Bismarck Street before local pressure got it changed at the time of anti-German
feelings about WW1 time, even though, in 1915 Thwaites ROAD was laid out through farm land owned by that family.
Belfield Road was called Robert Nuttall Street at one time, even though there was also a Nuttall Street.Many of the streets up Woodnook are named after the Royds family's connections.They owned the land the streets are on, so had sosme say in the street names.

ossylass 28-05-2008 19:46

Nostalgic thread wander - we bought an end terraced house in Cromwell Avenue in 1979 for the princely sum of £1400! The Avenue was lined with beautiful flowering cherry trees in those days.

slinky 28-05-2008 19:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by ossylass (Post 583228)
Nostalgic thread wander - we bought an end terraced house in Cromwell Avenue in 1979 for the princely sum of £1400! The Avenue was lined with beautiful flowering cherry trees in those days.

They still have some nice blossom tree's on now from what i can remember.

WillowTheWhisp 28-05-2008 22:46

I don't know how long ago it was called Cromwell Street but I do remember my mother saying she remembered it being called that. Now she was born in 1911 so it was sometime since then that it changed.

WillowTheWhisp 29-05-2008 09:23

Someone has suggested to me that it was when the High School was built and it was renamed and lined with trees to provide an impressive approach to the then front door. Sounds good but I don't know if it's true or not.

cashman 29-05-2008 09:31

that sounds logical willow.:confused:

Bob Dobson 30-05-2008 21:17

If that is the case, and I think it likely, then it would be 1939, or just before, as that was the the High School opened. These changes can probably be found in the minutes of the various Corporation committes. Union Road, Ossie is another - it was Warren Lane ( I think). Union was probably to mark that Ossie was proud to be in the Blackburn Poor Law Union. Union Street Accy may also be named for that reason, or may be so called as it could be commemmorating the unifying of Old and New Accrington.

Retlaw 30-05-2008 21:37

Until they built the East Gate bypass, there was still a sign showing Mary Ann St behind the Castle pub, next time you come thro see whats there now.
Belfield Rd was named after Bells Field, above where St Mary's school was, my father played football in a local team on that field in the 1920's.

Retlaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 583216)
There has long been a perception that road is 'better'than street, and avenue even 'better'. About 100yrs ago, Mary Ann Street was changed to Milton Street (off Castle St) through a residents' campaign (it was probably originally called Mary Ann after a Peel daughter.)
Thwaites STREET , Ossie, was called Bismarck Street before local pressure got it changed at the time of anti-German
feelings about WW1 time, even though, in 1915 Thwaites ROAD was laid out through farm land owned by that family.
Belfield Road was called Robert Nuttall Street at one time, even though there was also a Nuttall Street.Many of the streets up Woodnook are named after the Royds family's connections.They owned the land the streets are on, so had sosme say in the street names.

Retlaw 30-05-2008 21:40

Union St is named as such in the 1841 census. Old and New Accrington were'nt unified until 1878.
Retlaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 584561)
If that is the case, and I think it likely, then it would be 1939, or just before, as that was the the High School opened. These changes can probably be found in the minutes of the various Corporation committes. Union Road, Ossie is another - it was Warren Lane ( I think). Union was probably to mark that Ossie was proud to be in the Blackburn Poor Law Union. Union Street Accy may also be named for that reason, or may be so called as it could be commemmorating the unifying of Old and New Accrington.

Bob Dobson 02-06-2008 19:48

I have just learned that Entwistle Rd was a Street. The change occurred between 1939 and 1951, so probably Lime, Cromwell and Entwistle were renamed around the same time. Digging in the Corporation committee minutes will likely throw more light on it.Why did Pilot and Orange ( & others) not change. I wonder if the residents were asked and the majority vote was acted upon.

Bob Dobson 02-06-2008 20:28

I think Walter's explanation of Belfield road is unlikely. There are umpteen streets in Woodnook named with connections to the Royds family, and to choose a name which ws not linked would not be in the family's thinking. Reference to my directories shows how Walter's story may have come about, making him half wright. 1909 & 1930 show a Bell Street off Robert Nuttall Street (not in 1935 or 1951) 1935 (only) shows Bellford Rd (late Robert Nuttall Street) .1930 and 1951, but not 1935 show Belfield Rd These were the same streets, as the occupants of houses are the same, though sometimes spelled differently. It is easy to see how the supposed link between Bell's field and Belfield Rd came about. To check Bell Street I would need to look at the Voters List

Bob Dobson 05-06-2008 18:48

In recent posts, I have mentioned Entwistle St. It should be Entwisle ( no second 't') Probably so named after William Enty, our third mayor.

Sadler St, Church is named after Sadler, a 28yrs old balloonist who, in October 1824 set off from Bolton with his servant. A Southerly wind carried them to Church, where he crashed into the side of a house whilst leaning out of the basket, banging his head on a chimney . This threw him out . He was carried to a nearby pub A doctor attended him, but he expired. The balloon carried on to Cock Bridge, where the servant landed it ( with a broken arm) The inquest ruled ' Accidental death, caused by being struck against a chimney.
The pub's owner, Mr Blenkinsop, was not at the pub, but word reached him and he rushed to attend. When 100yards away, he slipped, banged his head on the ground -then became the second fatality of the day.

Atarah 05-06-2008 20:24

Street Names

I was always led to believe Entwisle Street was named after Mr Entwisle of Entwisle and Kenyon fame. The marvellous Victorian "semis" at the corner of Entwisle Road and Whalley Road were certainly owned by these two gentlemen.

Atarah

Bob Dobson 05-06-2008 21:14

Atarah's explanation is probably correct because of the houses, but the matter may not be ever cleared up. There was already a Kenyon Street, though locals called it "t'Pleck" and it ran from Whalley Road, down to Bull Bridge, by the Australian Inn. It was a very old thoroughfare.

Bob Dobson 13-06-2008 09:23

Owen St & Meadow St: In 1863 a Clitheroe solicitor announced the sale of land for building. ...."To be let on reasonable ground rents for terms of 999 yrs, several plots of land in quantities to suit the requirments of persons intending to build. The land is very eligibly situated in the township of Old Accrington, and recently formed part of a close of land called 'Owen's Meadow', is bounded by the L&Y railway, is close to and on the Easterly side of the turnpike road leading out of Accrington towards Whalley, and approached from the said road by a new street called Meadow Street."
Perhaps then Owen and Meadow come from Owen's Meadow, but I cannot throw light on who Mr Owen was.I would need to look at old maps and the early censuses.

Garbett Street. With such an unusual name, I think there's little doubt that this is named after Rev George Garbett, vicar of St James' , who died in 1865. As with many other names, it is useful to know just when streets were built. and this is why I am in doubt about Spencer St. There was a vicar of St James' called Spencer, but he died as late as 1917, and I suspect that the street was built before then, so it may be linked to Samuel Spencer, who lived at Strawberry Bank. he was a Poor Law Guardian and died in 1875, so if Spencer St was built about then, or soon after, I think he may be the man after whom it is named.

Mayors are favourites for having streets named after them. Rawson Ave & Rothwell Ave come to mind.If , at some future time, there is a Dobson Avenue, then I am putting my claim in now - it was named after me, not a past mayor.

Union St has had previous mentions. The workhouse was in Union St, so I favour the link with the Poor Law Union of parishes which would have lead to it being built, and so named.

Bob Dobson 17-06-2008 20:07

In an earlier posting, I said that Thwaites St, Ossie had previously been called Bismarck St. I was wrong - it is Stanley Street, just across New Lane, which was Bismarck. The Stanley name was said at the time to honour the explorer.

Lancaster Ave was previously called Bayley Street in honour of Rev Jonathan Bayley, minister at the New Jerusalem Church, who was a leading player in Accrington's educational history. He deserves honour.

Birtwistle St is surely associated with someone of that long-established Huncoat family. There have been many men of this nameassociated with the town's institutiions, not least those who kept the Broad Oak Inn, Abbey Street. In 1878 John Birtwistle, furniture dealer, lived at 13 Abbey st.but I suspect that the street is much earlier than that -1850s was a time of street building.

Bishop St. Almost certainly linked to the opening of nearby Christ Church in 1840 by the Bishop of Chester, perhaps the first time a bishop visited Acc.

Blackburn rd, Clayton, was formerly called Anglesea St. (Little) Blackburn Rd Acc was called Street on an 1891 map.

Bond St. My suspicion was that there would be a link to the 3 Bond borthers mentioned in the book 'Accrington Chronology & men of Mark' That may still be so, but I have seen that in 1878 a William Bond, was making healds in Bond St whilst living nearby at 319 Blackburn Rd. He probably owned the land, so had a say in the naming.

Blake St is named in honour of John Blake, inventor of Blake's Ram, a hydraulic pump which brought riches to the family. He lived in nearby Oxford St and had a family link with the Hindle timber firm who lived near him and after whom Hindle st is named.

Retlaw 17-06-2008 21:51

Birtwistle St in 1848 was called Plantation St, which joined Plantation Lane around where Midland St was built.
Plantation St as we now know it, was blocked of at Elephant St, and was named Plantation Mill Street.

Retlaw

WillowTheWhisp 18-06-2008 08:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 592143)
Garbett Street. With such an unusual name, I think there's little doubt that this is named after Rev George Garbett, vicar of St James' , who died in 1865.

Would he possibly have lived at Garbett House? I've noticed a few terraced streets with one odd larger house at the end of the row like that.

Bob Dobson 18-06-2008 10:39

Could have, but more likely to have lived in what had been the vicar's house for yonks. I shall ask a friend to have a looksee at the censuses and come back to you, unless of course someone else can. In 1909, the vicarage for St james' was on Blackburn rd, so I suspect that someone else lived there. It would be made easier if the house number was known, then a check in Barrett's Directories in the library will reveal all. I have a 1909 one.

Bob Dobson 18-06-2008 14:18

Rev George lived at 164 Blackburn rd. His neighbours were a surgeon and a mill owner. He was 49yrs in 1861. His wife Martha was 45yrs. They had servants Susannah Halstead ,41yrs and Sarah Frankland 21yrs.

Bob Dobson 18-06-2008 20:47

Beaconsfield St. One of several in that area which end in 'field', so it might have been that the developers were searching for a field name rather than particularly honouring Prime Minister Disraeli, the Earl of Beaconsfield. 'Dizzy' was a one-time ally of PM Robert Peel, then turned against him, so Peel might not have wanted the street named after him. However, he was popular in the country and with Queen Victoruia, so that may have been why the street is so called.

Bertha St is right in the centre of Peel land, and is probably named after a daughter of the family. William , Alice, Annie, Robert Streets certainly were. Perhaps Percy ,Oswald & Sidney too. More research on the family names needed.

Atarah 18-06-2008 20:59

Hey, Mr Dob, I never knew we had a Bond Street here in Accy. Have I missed something?

Atarah

Bob Dobson 19-06-2008 07:59

It's nothing like the Bond Street, London that you will be familiar with on your trips to the capital buying flash jewellery. See shurmer p13 J7 - on the Blackburn rd side of the railway linetop of Grimshaw St. Don't know if it's Dale or Lower Antley St there. I don't think there'll be any houses. If you walked around instead of riding in flashy cars and other motorised transport, you'dda known. Am so pleased I've told you summat you didn't know about Acc. Watch this space.

For the benefit of others - Atarah has contributed greatly to the card index of street names kept in the library.

Bob Dobson 21-06-2008 21:24

Let's get back on thread............A few more beginning with 'B'

Bolton Ave. Names after the Bolton family who owned Huncoat & other collieries. ne of them lost 2 sons in WW1 and gave thousands to Victoria Hospital

Alliance St, Bash...Probably named in recognition of the alliance with France against the Russians in the mid-to ;ate 1800s. Alliance Mill was opened in the 1870s, when the street would be new.

Barlow St...our second mayor was James Barlow. There was another James, also a councillor. sweveral of the streets in the area around sacred heart are named after early councillors

Barnes St...There have been several Barnes' was being laid out.It may be named after that family, or perhaps JKohn, the supetrintenfdent of the baptist chapel that wa son barnes St, or Henry treasurer of the Co-iop society, or Thomas, a Local Board member. I would like to think it was William who was honoured, as it was he who was the prime mover in establishing our municipal cemetery and who was the first to be buried there when it opened in 1864.

Bob Dobson 23-06-2008 21:04

Bath St....(near The Flat Iron) Before we got the St James' St baths, there was a swimming pool in this street. It belonged to the (Highams') Woodnook mill, and had been paid for by Eli Higham, a keen swimmer, in 1879. The building was wooden, and burnt down in 1903. and had been bought by the Corporation in 1893.

Bamford Crescent....The late Bill Turner told me that the houses had beenbuilt by a Rochdale firm, and as Bamford is near Rochdale, this may well be the reason for the name

Aitken St....clearly named in honour of the long-serving Town Clerk.

Bridge St....In early days, there was a bridge over the newly- formed ( from 2 separate streams) River Hyndburn somewhere near the Commercial pub (Regency now). It was mnetalled and paved in 1879, when the town was really moving ahead with its new Corporation status.

Bank St...Bank as in , steep ground, this lead to Heifer Bank, the site of the Post office sorting office in Infant St

Alice St...a Peel family name, as is William,Bertha & Robert and several other streets between
(roughly) St John's and St Anne's churches - land owned by the Peels

Albert St...Augusta St..Edmund,Wilfred...members of the Nuttall & Royds families, who owned the Woodnook estate which bears the families' names.

Retlaw 23-06-2008 21:58

Heifer Bank is a bit further down Abbey St, it is under what used to be the old Palace Cinema at the top of Peel St.
Peel St was originally Mr Peels private road, from the bottom of Avenue Parade to St James Church.

Bank St...Bank as in , steep ground, this lead to Heifer Bank, the site of the Post office sorting office in Infant St.

Retlaw.

WillowTheWhisp 23-06-2008 22:30

What about Arago Street? That's an intriguing name.

Bob Dobson 24-06-2008 10:08

My thoughts on Arago without looking things up are that it is linked to Addison & Arnold Streets, next to it and parrallel. I think all 3 were literary men/poets/essayist, though there was an Arago who was a french soldier. In 1859, a clipper, the 'Francois Arago 'was renamed 'The Accrington'. Arago St was laid down between 1871 & 78.

Bamford Crescent - Further to what I have said, I have learned that the first Baptist minister
in Acc was Rev Bamford.(1760) However, no other early Baptist ministers had streets named
after them, so this may be coincidence.

KAYJAY 24-06-2008 13:57

Any info re either Chapel Street (off Adelaide St) where I lived for few of the war years (40's) with my Mother in the smallest house you've ever seen - one up, one down, small scullery with slopstone, shared outside lavatory - any idea when that was demolished? and also Crawshaw St where we lived in the fifties - demolished in 1961.

WillowTheWhisp 24-06-2008 14:32

I remember Crawshaw Street. Crikey I feel old now!

Retlaw 24-06-2008 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by KAYJAY (Post 597566)
Any info re either Chapel Street (off Adelaide St) where I lived for few of the war years (40's) with my Mother in the smallest house you've ever seen - one up, one down, small scullery with slopstone, shared outside lavatory - any idea when that was demolished? and also Crawshaw St where we lived in the fifties - demolished in 1961.

Chapel St was named after a Calvanist Chapel that used to be on the corner with Quarry St, during the late 1940's it was a shop.

Crawhaw St, my Aunt used to live three doors up from Fitzpatricks Farriers.

Retlaw.

Bob Dobson 24-06-2008 19:27

Going from memory and not being able to find the refereence book I want, I think that Crawshaw was the name of a man who owned land and property in that area .Morts dance hall was one of them I think. The phrase 'Crawshaw's hall ' is coming to mind.

Walter should not have mentioned the farrier's shop as it has brought the smell of hot hooves back and I cannot get rid of it. Wonderful.

katex 24-06-2008 19:35

Just wondered if you knew where Hardman Close and Spew Spout Lane had its origins OK .... I'm going >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>

Bob Dobson 24-06-2008 20:21

I had to look these up in Shurmer's as I thought Katex had made them up. A bit out geographically for me.I thought she had got the wrong name for Spout House Lane

As if I haven't enough to do.........

I am about to post some more that have occurred to me.

Bob Dobson 24-06-2008 20:49

Carter St....Atarah tells me that Sam Priestley, son of the then owner of Woodnook Mills (later sold to Highams) married a Miss Carter from Enfield so the street, not far from the mill, may have been named for her family. I suggest that it may be named after John Carter, treasurer of the Accrington Provident Building Society when it started in 1843, and for many years a man who would have contact with builders, might be the man behind the name. Of course, the Mr & Miss Carter might have been related. Father & daughter maybe.

Belfield Rd again....Whilst I still think that the name comes from the Royds/Nuttall family home near Rochdale, there is a development, discovered by the staff in the Local
studies library.:- About 1882 there was founded a Working Men's Temperance Club in Cotton St.It soon outgrew the premises and moved to Nuttall Street, later acquiring an old chapel in Woodnook and renting land from Mr Royds for sporting purposes. The club ,football team and I believe the field were named in honour of William Bell, a temperance missionary and Band of Hope agent/lecturer. I had earlier learned that a Accrington doctor, Dr Hartley was involved with the team. His initials were J.P but in the
various censuses 1871/81/91 he is shown simply as Doctor at his home 257 Blackburn Rd, opposite where the Grammar School came to be built in 1894.

Ellison St....Clearly linked to the Ellison family who owned nearby Ellison's Tenement ( tenement simply means piece of land). Likely that the man who brought the Baptists to Accrington in 1770 and had the Macpelah Chapel built on Hyndburn Rd, close by the tenement was linked to this. John Ellison lived at Altham Hall . On 1.4.1766 the first recorded christeneing in St James;' church took place - Mally Ellison, daughter of Ralph & Martha. Assuming that this too was John's family, why did they have the child christened in an Anglican church and not the Baptist chapel? Probably because christenings could not be conducted then in Dissenting chapels - only CofE churches.

Retlaw 24-06-2008 21:31

Hyndburn Rd, Accrington, originally Allom Lane, when the Baptist built their Chapel (Macpelah) nicknamed by some a Hellhome Lane, (these who wern't Baptists).
They originated from Clayton le Moors according to the late Jack Broderick.
The Bapists then moved from Hyndburn Rd to Blackburn Rd on the west side of the Viaduct, and from there to Cannon St. Now joined with Christ Church.

Retlaw.

WillowTheWhisp 24-06-2008 22:17

Baptist don't do Christenings. Why would a Baptist family have a child Christened at all? They do full immersion baptising of adults and children old enough to understand and make a personal committment.

cashman 24-06-2008 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 597629)
Chapel St was named after a Calvanist Chapel that used to be on the corner with Quarry St, during the late 1940's it was a shop.

Crawhaw St, my Aunt used to live three doors up from Fitzpatricks Farriers.

Retlaw.

used to love watching him shoe the horses, wonder if thats why Thwaites called the pub the Horseshoe? that was at junction of Crawshaw St n School St.

KAYJAY 25-06-2008 07:18

Thank you all for the replies re Chapel St and Crawshaw St- I remember the little shop on the corner of Quarry St very well, how interesting to know it once was a chapel!! - I always wondered how the street was so named as I never saw any sign of one.
Thanks also for the Crawshaw St info - always curious about that, lived on the street for 15 years, never heard of Crawshaw's Hall though. Knew the farrrier Brian Fitzpatrick- and The Horseshoe pub on School street corner - talking of which - was there ever a school on School St? Not in my time, and it was quite a small street.

Bob Dobson 25-06-2008 08:06

I'm not aware of a school on School Street, though in willow St the Cannon St Baptists ran a Sunday School from early times, so that may have been named as it it led up to it.
I always thought it comical that School St was opposite Birch St

The Horseshoe - don't know about this. Don't even know if it was originally a Thwaites house or one they bought off another small brewery - though it wasn't a Bentley's (Milnshaw) house. There was a fashion to name pubs after racehorses. Fitzpatrick's wasn't the only farrier's shop in the area - Myerscough's were in King St, so it may be that there was one in School St and the pub was built on it. I am working on a new book of Acc photos, and have traced one of the Horseshoe. so will probably include it.

Back to Arago St, I feel it is linked to Arnold St & Addison st, its parrallel neighbours.
The most famous Arago ( there were 4 brothers) was Francois, a mathematician, physicist, astonomer & French Prime Minister. So all 3 were academ,ics whom Peel may have admired. Another brother, Etienne Vincent, was a celebrated writer, so he too could linked to Addison & Arnold.

WillowTheWhisp 25-06-2008 08:11

The Baptist Sunday School on Willow Street, which was sold off and became a night club, wasn't just a Sunday School as we know them today. It was originally a church school for basic education before state schools did that job. I remember when it was a Sunday School and the long corridors and stairs leading into the back of the church. There were lots of different classrooms and a yard round the back used by the scouts/guides/cubs/brownies.

Retlaw 25-06-2008 13:36

1 Attachment(s)
Willow St School.
Is one of these you Willow.

cashman 26-06-2008 00:32

the only thing i can remember on school street, was i think a small printing dept belonging to the accrington observer? p.s. please let me know when the new photo book comes out Bob, would love to see it especially if one of the horseshoes included. have a Memories of Accrington book by John Goddard n love it.

WillowTheWhisp 26-06-2008 08:14

Crikey how old is that photo Retlaw? :D

Bob Dobson 26-06-2008 08:56

Crawshaw St again....I was mistaken about the other farrier. In fact Myerscough occupied what we know as Fitzpatrick's. I had forgotten that King St extended to the river, so the workshop fronted both King and Crawshaw streets.Myerscough died in 1924 with the business still going strong. The more I think about it, the more I think that the Horseshoe would be named because of the Crawshaw st connection with horses.

School St....The Observer was printed here. I think that the building ran through to Edgar St. ( That street name will have to wait till I get back off my holiday.)

Retlaw 26-06-2008 13:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 598546)
Crikey how old is that photo Retlaw? :D

About 1920/30

Are you not on it.

Retlaw.

:hidewall:

cashman 26-06-2008 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 598669)
About 1920/30

Are you not on it.

Retlaw.

:hidewall:

nah Retlaw, willow n meself had left school then.:D

Wynonie Harris 26-06-2008 19:55

What an interesting thread - I hadn't noticed it before.

I was told that Brown Street got its name from when the builders were constructing the houses along there. They were cooking up their breakfast and one builder asked another how he wanted his bacon cooked...don't know if it's true.

However, I was wondering if anyone could tell me how my old street, Claret Street, got its name? It's the only one in the country, so maybe there's a story behind it.

Bob Dobson 26-06-2008 20:06

Claret St ...don't know. Apart from Buxton St, many of the streets nearby begin with 'C'
I'll give it some thought. Was the builder a Burnley supporter or wine lover?

Brown St...a very good example of an urban myth. I think if we looked into it there might have been a Bulloughs director called Brown, or a builder/solicitor/surveyor with that name. No mayor called Brown.

Wynonie Harris 26-06-2008 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 598909)
Was the builder a Burnley supporter

I certainly hope not or I'll have to pretend I never lived there! ;) Cheers for the response anyway, Bob.

WillowTheWhisp 26-06-2008 21:36

Ooh I didn't realise you were on Claret St Wynonie.

Wynonie Harris 26-06-2008 22:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp (Post 598969)
Ooh I didn't realise you were on Claret St Wynonie.

Yep, Willow, right round the corner from the young Peter Britcliffe!

cashman 26-06-2008 22:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wynonie Harris (Post 599003)
Yep, Willow, right round the corner from the young Peter Britcliffe!

no wonder ya moved away wyn :D

Bob Dobson 28-06-2008 20:42

Recently, in discussing Street Names, Crawshaw St and the blacksmith/farrier Myerscough turned up. I have just learned of a websiste which logs all Myerscoughs, so if you have Myesrcough family, have a looksee at:
www.stevensheila.co.uk/myerscough The site is based at Chorley

lindsay ormerod 20-07-2008 19:40

Any ideas about Banastre St in Clayton? Just googled it and the only ref appears to be some nasty bloodthirsty murdering type from Liverpool.:confused:

Retlaw 20-07-2008 21:37

Jack Broderick who did a lot of work on the local parish registers, I think recorded it as an early spelling of Bannister.
I'll check next time I'm in the Library.
Retlaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by lindsay ormerod (Post 609397)
Any ideas about Banastre St in Clayton? Just googled it and the only ref appears to be some nasty bloodthirsty murdering type from Liverpool.:confused:

Bonnyboy 20-07-2008 21:48

What’s Lodge Street named after, has to be a lodge I assume but I don’t see any. The obvious spot for an lodge would be the old Volvo garage on Sydney Street. Is that the case, did there used to be a lodge there ?

BERNADETTE 20-07-2008 21:58

Yep there was a lodge there BB

Bonnyboy 20-07-2008 22:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 609446)
Yep there was a lodge there BB

Dunno why, but I assumed that it was too close to the town centre to be a lodge. Was there any mills in the area...any idea when or why the lodge was drained ??

BERNADETTE 20-07-2008 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonnyboy (Post 609449)
Dunno why, but I assumed that it was too close to the town centre to be a lodge. Was there any mills in the area...any idea when or why the lodge was drained ??

No idea sorry but bet some members will have:)

cashman 20-07-2008 22:20

all i can remember BB is when i was a kid there was a stonewall from bottom of lodge street along sydney st n up water st about 8 ft high n over it was just grass n uneven land, used to play there as a sprog, thats were i assume the lodge was, cos back in the day, they were all walled off like that.:confused: so it was drained before mid 50s defo.

BERNADETTE 20-07-2008 22:36

Would the building where Karrimor operated from before they moved have been a mill at one time?? It just has the appearance of a mill

Retlaw 21-07-2008 10:49

It was originally Walmsley's Leather Works.

Retlaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BERNADETTE (Post 609477)
Would the building where Karrimor operated from before they moved have been a mill at one time?? It just has the appearance of a mill

BERNADETTE 21-07-2008 11:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 609585)
It was originally Walmsley's Leather Works.

Retlaw.

Thanks for that:)

beechy 21-07-2008 13:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 609463)
all i can remember BB is when i was a kid there was a stonewall from bottom of lodge street along sydney st n up water st about 8 ft high n over it was just grass n uneven land, used to play there as a sprog, thats were i assume the lodge was, cos back in the day, they were all walled off like that.:confused: so it was drained before mid 50s defo.

i seem to think the lodge was a little bit higher up cashy
was it not opposite and slightly higher up than sydney st club ?
always remembered a rough plot of land around there, when i was a lad
lived in lodge st early fifties

Bob Dobson 01-08-2008 11:35

Banastre St : I feel sure this will ghave some connection with the family of Banastre which became Bannister whose main residences wwere at Barrowford and Trawden. The 4minute miler Roger Bannister is descended from them. They were big landowners.

Lodge St: The 1909 OS map shows two reservoirs in the Sydney/Water/Lodg streets triangle. Water and lodge go 'well' ( excuse that) together, and I suspect that before there was building there, streams flowed down the area from the Coppice. At the bottom of Burnley rd where it meets Whalley rd there was a public well. The lodges would likely be used by Melbourne Mill , Heifer Bank Mill and Park Mill. Mill Street and Park Street probably owe their names to the building of these mills. There is a note on streams flowing off the Coppice in a book on the history of Accrington Corporation waterworks. Bob Dobson

Rolling Nome 24-03-2009 15:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 582493)
I am very interested in the reasons behind our street names. There is a card index file in the library ( Atarah has done a lot of work on this)

My question now isn't a 'reasons' one, I want to know when Lime Street became Lime Road. It was sometime between 1930 and 1950.

Hello Bob, You don't know me, but I would like to ask you about a particular tunnel, that was used to allow the safe passage of monks, from Accrington to Whalley. My dad Malcolm Pilling (Brother of Kevin, and son of Raymond. Remember him/them? He speaks highly of you.) told me you would be the man to ask. I believe a greater force than serendipity is at work here, as I found you on this site, quite by chance. Dad still lives in Accrington, and says hello! PS, I am facinated by the many tunnels that exist under Church and Accrington I used to play in some of them as a child in the 70s. Cheers Bob. Wayne Pilling, aka Rolling Nome.

Bob Dobson 24-03-2009 15:51

I can hardly forget my next door neighbours in Persia Street. Delighted to hear from him ( and you) give my best to him and Kevin.

This 'tunnel' is a myth. 'Secret tunnels' such as this are said to exist all over the country. They are often associated with monks. Monks would be capable of digging and supporting small tunnels, but not one of a few miles long. In those medieval times monks were revered by society and travelled safely on what passed for roads. I heard the story of this tunnel when I was a lad - believable then but not any more. There's plenty who might believe it was there, but I'm not one of them now. Near where I live there's supposed to be a tunnel under a river. What tunnels there may be in Accrington - there's one close to behind the Red Lion on Abbey St -will be of much more modern construction and likely to have been used for coal or stone - getting, storage or drainage.
Retlaw will probably tell of his excavating this Abbey St/Grange Rd one.

Retlaw 24-03-2009 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 696087)
I can hardly forget my next door neighbours in Persia Street. Delighted to hear from him ( and you) give my best to him and Kevin.

This 'tunnel' is a myth. 'Secret tunnels' such as this are said to exist all over the country. They are often associated with monks. Monks would be capable of digging and supporting small tunnels, but not one of a few miles long. In those medieval times monks were revered by society and travelled safely on what passed for roads. I heard the story of this tunnel when I was a lad - believable then but not any more. There's plenty who might believe it was there, but I'm not one of them now. Near where I live there's supposed to be a tunnel under a river. What tunnels there may be in Accrington - there's one close to behind the Red Lion on Abbey St -will be of much more modern construction and likely to have been used for coal or stone - getting, storage or drainage.

I've already said my piece on the so called tunnels tunnels around Black Abbey St area in another thread on this subject. They NEVER existed.It would have needed ton of explosives to get through the rock under Accrington, and the monks did'nt have any.

Retlaw

accypete 14-10-2010 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 594926)
It's nothing like the Bond Street, London that you will be familiar with on your trips to the capital buying flash jewellery. See shurmer p13 J7 - on the Blackburn rd side of the railway linetop of Grimshaw St. Don't know if it's Dale or Lower Antley St there. I don't think there'll be any houses. If you walked around instead of riding in flashy cars and other motorised transport, you'dda known. Am so pleased I've told you summat you didn't know about Acc. Watch this space.

For the benefit of others - Atarah has contributed greatly to the card index of street names kept in the library.

It is where Dale Street and Lower Antley street split the Dale street club (Stephensons Memorial club) was on the the right corner as you walked up Grimshaw Street Dale street on the left.There was only about 5 houses on Bond street.......here's one I'd like to know who knows where Bond court was ?

Retlaw 15-10-2010 11:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by accypete (Post 852192)
It is where Dale Street and Lower Antley street split the Dale street club (Stephensons Memorial club) was on the the right corner as you walked up Grimshaw Street Dale street on the left.There was only about 5 houses on Bond street.......here's one I'd like to know who knows where Bond court was ?

Plantation St.
Retlaw.

davidf 28-10-2010 19:49

Can anyone please tell me if the section of Eagle Street from Cannon Street to Blackburn Road was ever called Station Road? And if it wasn't, was there ever a Station Road in Accy and if so where it was?
Thanks,
davidf

Retlaw 28-10-2010 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by davidf (Post 856176)
Can anyone please tell me if the section of Eagle Street from Cannon Street to Blackburn Road was ever called Station Road? And if it wasn't, was there ever a Station Road in Accy and if so where it was?
Thanks,
davidf

No, even back as far as the 1841 census it was called Eagle St.
Very few were refered to as roads then, 99% were called streets.
There is a Station Rd in Huncote. [and before any one says I've spelt Huncote wrong, forget it, that is the spelling in old documents].

Retlaw.

Atarah 28-10-2010 20:17

But we are talking "Present Tense" here Retlaw my pal, so use the up to date spelling - HUNCOAT.

Retlaw 28-10-2010 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 856187)
But we are talking "Present Tense" here Retlaw my pal, so use the up to date spelling - HUNCOAT.

NEVER, as far as I'm concerned its either Huncote or Huncoyte, and that present day spelling is because some one dropped a clanger.

All references in my files are spelt Huncote, as it should be.
Just checked and the place refered to was owned by William de Huncote, son of Elias de Billington, and signed over to the Monks of Kirkstall, as so named.

Retlaw.

Barrie Yates 28-10-2010 21:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 696087)

I seem to remember what looked like the start of a tunnel, stone lined for about 3 yards, from the cellars of Sparth House in the general direction of Whalley - that was when the Gravesons lived there in the '50s

Retlaw 28-10-2010 21:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 856216)
I seem to remember what looked like the start of a tunnel, stone lined for about 3 yards, from the cellars of Sparth House in the general direction of Whalley - that was when the Gravesons lived there in the '50s

The monks of Kirkstall had been long gone before any thing was built in that area. The monks were incapable of digging thro rock, and gunpowder wasn't known until after they left.
There was never more than a dozen os so in the Accington area at any one time, and the bolshies of Accrington killed three of them.

Retlaw.

garinda 29-10-2010 07:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 856218)
The monks of Kirkstall had been long gone before any thing was built in that area. The monks were incapable of digging thro rock, and gunpowder wasn't known until after they left.
There was never more than a dozen os so in the Accington area at any one time, and the bolshies of Accrington killed three of them.

Retlaw.

Mum's the word.

;)

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...y-36807-2.html

garinda 29-10-2010 07:50

Taking of local names, although not a street one, Altham was mentioned on the BBC TV news the other night.

The newsreader pronounced it as Alt-ham, which sounded wrong, as most people round here say Alth-am.

Thinking about it, he was right, as ham means homestead in Old English, and we've just changed it, because it rolls off the Lancashire tongue easier.

Any others?

Ozzel-twistle is one I can think of.

katex 29-10-2010 08:46

Always amused me when presenters on Radio, etc., pronounced Whalley as Wally.

garinda 29-10-2010 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 856283)

Yup, that's another.

I was born a Wally.

Ooops, in Wally

:p

jaysay 29-10-2010 09:06

Quote:

Think that could be about right Kate:D

katex 29-10-2010 09:29

We also get 'Raw'tenstall as written ... and we all know is pronounced Rottenstall... :D

garinda 29-10-2010 09:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 856307)
We also get 'Raw'tenstall as written ... and we all know is pronounced Rottenstall... :D

Very true, and Cattle-'ole street, in Ozzle-twistle.

:D

JCB 29-10-2010 09:41

Quote:

Yes , and there's Whalley Range in Manchester , pronounced as we pronounce Whalley , and it never gets Wally Range .

walkinman221 29-10-2010 16:00

Dont forget backup:D

davidf 29-10-2010 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 856183)
No, even back as far as the 1841 census it was called Eagle St.
Very few were refered to as roads then, 99% were called streets.
There is a Station Rd in Huncote. [and before any one says I've spelt Huncote wrong, forget it, that is the spelling in old documents].

Retlaw.

Thanks very much, Retlaw.
davidf

jaysay 30-10-2010 09:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 856307)

Its not if you've lived in the Valley Kate;)

jaysay 30-10-2010 09:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by walkinman221 (Post 856408)
Dont forget backup:D

I've worked there walkinman and I don't want to remember it:D

Gremlin 30-10-2010 11:28

Thanks for all the replies regarding my query on the where abouts of The Slaters Arms.
I am still not 100% sure but was it next to where George Clarke's new (but now closed) motorcyle shop is. I seem to remember a paper shop there at some time.
I was working away all over the country for 30 years and my time in Accrington centre was a bit hazy to say the least. I blame the Horseshoe, Royal Oak, Old House, New Brewery, Broadway,Top Club and plenty more establishments who were there to sooth a troubled brow plus the Famous Grouse and my weak will.

cashman 30-10-2010 11:32

apart from top club, used to frequent all those boozers in the 60s if twas then our paths musta crossed.:D

Atarah 30-10-2010 12:09

Street Names

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, hope this helps. This was taken from an upstairs room across the way. The Slaters Arms would have been sited NEXT to what you possibly remember as a newsagents for years, then it became part of Clarksons Bikes, in other words it would have been at the top of what we know as Broadway (but in those days t'was Marquis Street). The Slaters Arms was demolished c.1934, to make way for Broadway, and if you look closely at the top of the building, you can see where the pub would have been attached. The Hope and Anchor pub is at the other side of the shop premises.
Hope this helps a little, but you are possibly far too young to remember the pub.