Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   Peel Park celebrates 100 years this year (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/peel-park-celebrates-100-years-this-year-51145.html)

Atarah 05-01-2010 12:35

Peel Park celebrates 100 years this year

1 Attachment(s)
Peel Park is 100 years old this year. Perhaps we have some ex pupils with their memories?

My great grandfather WILLIAM HINDLE was supposed to be the stonemason (working for Cunliffe's) who carved the "BOYS" sign over the boys school door, nearest to Manor Street. Whether true or not I will never know, just a family tale.

rosegrove 05-01-2010 16:27

Re: Peel Park celebrates 100 years this year

i remember the main hall had faces round the hall most were victorian
i left in 1963 to go to woodnook school the headmaster was mr hinchcliff
but rest of the teachers i can not remember

Atarah 05-01-2010 17:22

I remember if we had been "bad" (i.e. if the teachers thought we had been "bad") we were made to STAND ON THE LINE, during our break times. THE LINE was just a crack down the centre of the hall floor, if I remember correctly! All the kids used to come and mock us. And ... I remember being hit over the knuckles by Miss Penlington (?) because I couldnt grasp how to do the letter "S" in joining up writing! Horrible teachers!

Reamer 19-02-2010 12:47

Headmaster was Hinchcliffe who used to live in a cottage at the top of Sandy lane. There was a Miss Butterworth who was deputy head and John Heaton who taught us in mid school. Then there was a Mr Gough (Goff?) a sports teacher who held lunchtime cricket sessions on Stanley's car park (club was still at Peel Park).
Last but not least , there was 'Gleavo' who took us in class 1 and steered us towards the 11+ exam. A strict disciplinarian, he had a table tennis bat (know as the Wangee, if I remember correctly) to whack those who got out of line. He also gave us an early introduction to the mysteries of calculus for which I never ever forgave him.

MovedtoBolton 20-02-2010 12:50

I was there from '69 to '73 and rememeber Mr Hichcliffe retiring - they got him a big green lawnmower. Mr Paris took over as head. Other teachers of the day were Mrs Clarke, Mrs Virtue, Miss McCarthy, Mrs Phillips and Mr Rawlinson. I know there were more but the grey cells ain't working too well this morning.
One lasting memory was singing hymes from the large song sheets hanging on the wall. "O Jesus I have promised" was always a fave!

Both my sone went there too in the 90's!

carolyn F 06-04-2010 13:09

I was there around 1964 to 66. Mr Heaton was one of my teachers - he was really nice, and Mr. Gleave was indeed a disciplinarian. I received the bat on the fanny from him for not having my science notes ready for him to check. But he was quite nice, really. One thing I do remember not-so-fondly was his reaction when I told him I was leaving in April to go to Canada. "YOU want to go to Canada?!!!" he said, as if I wasn't good enough to go. He was probably joking, but it stung me at the time LOL

Bob Dobson 06-04-2010 19:24

If a schoolmaster in today's schools hit a girl on the fanny there's not a ha'poth o doubt he would be locked up. !!!!!

Balbus 04-05-2010 11:04

They are asking for ideas and memorabilia on the school's website. There is to be an open morning on Saturday July 10th.

Margaret Pilkington 04-05-2010 20:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by rosegrove (Post 775624)
i remember the main hall had faces round the hall most were victorian
i left in 1963 to go to woodnook school the headmaster was mr hinchcliff
but rest of the teachers i can not remember

Miss Butterworth, Mr Gleave, Miss Kay (later married and became Mrs Phillips) Mrs Shaw, Mr Heaton.......alas I can't remember any more.
This was from the 1954-1958 era.

katex 10-07-2010 18:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 812352)
Miss Butterworth, Mr Gleave, Miss Kay (later married and became Mrs Phillips) Mrs Shaw, Mr Heaton.......alas I can't remember any more.
This was from the 1954-1958 era.

Went to this today ... was absolutely terrific ... what a good show Peel Park put on.

Picked up one or two class 'photos of mine I didn't have. Spent ages chatting to the very few people I knew. 'Course went over years up to 2000 so not all aimed at my era. Wished I could have stayed a little longer to look through the log books/registers etc .. nearly got thrown out.

Balbus... where were you !?! Had a query on the name of a pupil in our year which you may have been able to answer.

Could go on and on, but would probably bore other people into rigamortis.

Haha ... somebody reminded me of the crack that ran the whole length of the Junior school hall, and when you had been naughty .. had to stand on it for a while for all to see.

Merit badge to Peel Park ... :D

Margaret Pilkington 10-07-2010 19:09

Yes Kate.....I remember that crack down the main hall......and when you were pnished it was called 'Standing on the line'.

I am not big on the reunion thing, I always think that folk have aged better than me(how sad is that), but anyway with my little blister being over from Oz it would not have been possible to attend.
Glad you enjoyed it though.

cashman 10-07-2010 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington (Post 827786)

I am not big on the reunion thing, I always think that folk have aged better than me(how sad is that), but anyway with my little blister being over from Oz it would not have been possible to attend.
Glad you enjoyed it though.

It is sad, cos it aint true, ya aint too bad at all fer yer age.;):)

Margaret Pilkington 11-07-2010 08:49

Thanks Cashy......you old shmoozer you:D

katex 11-07-2010 14:03

Whoops sorry Atarah .. just noticed you told the story of the line earlier on ... must pay more attention. :D

One lady there that was helping thought it may be a good suggestion to maybe have a day where past pupils could perhaps come again just to look at the records .. don't know whether this would come about ...hope so.

Balbus 26-07-2010 16:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by katex (Post 827781)
Went to this today ... was absolutely terrific ... what a good show Peel Park put on.

Picked up one or two class 'photos of mine I didn't have. Spent ages chatting to the very few people I knew. 'Course went over years up to 2000 so not all aimed at my era. Wished I could have stayed a little longer to look through the log books/registers etc .. nearly got thrown out.

Balbus... where were you !?! Had a query on the name of a pupil in our year which you may have been able to answer.

Could go on and on, but would probably bore other people into rigamortis.

Haha ... somebody reminded me of the crack that ran the whole length of the Junior school hall, and when you had been naughty .. had to stand on it for a while for all to see.

Merit badge to Peel Park ... :D

I was there. It was impressive, and the old building has survived well. Didn't recognise many people though. Perhaps the building has survived better than we have. Went over to Peel Park Hotel afterwards to arrange an informal get together for the day of the centenary - Tuesday August 24th - 18.30 onwards. Perhaps see you there. People have been asked to bring any mementoes with them.