Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Heritage and History (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/)
-   -   coach house, ascot way (broad oak fold) (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f124/coach-house-ascot-way-broad-oak-fold-57406.html)

pilki 03-04-2011 19:41

coach house, ascot way (broad oak fold)

Apologies if this has been discussed before - I have searched and can only find the odd reference.
Can anyone please help with any historical information about the Coach House on the corner of Sandy lane and Ascot Way? Am interested in anything at all to do with this building and would be very grateful for responses:)
Thanks

Retlaw 03-04-2011 22:19

Re: coach house, ascot way (broad oak fold)

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilki (Post 895887)
Apologies if this has been discussed before - I have searched and can only find the odd reference.
Can anyone please help with any historical information about the Coach House on the corner of Sandy lane and Ascot Way? Am interested in anything at all to do with this building and would be very grateful for responses:)
Thanks

Do you mean the house thats for sale, in what was orignally Broad Oak Fold, if so it was never a Coach House.
Retlaw.

steve2qec 03-04-2011 22:36

I'm sure it has Coach House engraved on a stone and the ground floor looks like it could have been stables at one time. Might it not have belonged to Broad Oak House in the past?

Atarah 03-04-2011 22:57

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, you mean this? "Fold" represents a number of small farmhouses and cottages, originally grouped together for mutual defence. A mighty oak tree once stood in this fold, hence its name.

Believe was once Estate offices and other buildings for Broad Oak House

Retlaw 03-04-2011 23:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve2qec (Post 895923)
I'm sure it has Coach House engraved on a stone and the ground floor looks like it could have been stables at one time. Might it not have belonged to Broad Oak House in the past?

There are lots of buildings with plaques on them that are wrong. The house in Broad Oak Fold that has a garden facing Sandy Lane, was the home of the chauffuer for the owners of Braod Oak House.
That was back in the 1930's, I knew the chauffuer & his son, there were no engraved stones then, remember all that area has been tarted up since then, especially when they built Ascot Way, before then it was farm land.
Retlaw

Retlaw 03-04-2011 23:05

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 895926)
Hi, you mean this? "Fold" represents a number of small farmhouses and cottages, originally grouped together for mutual defence. A mighty oak tree once stood in this fold, hence its name.

Believe was once Estate offices and other buildings for Broad Oak House

Thats the picture I was looking for, the house on the extreme right was where the chauffuer lived, his name was Mr Crow, his son was David Crow. When that picture was taken it was still a working farm.
You can now see how much the area has changed since the 1930's, when people look at it these days, they assume it has always been like that.
Heres an even earlier picture.

Retlaw.

Atarah 03-04-2011 23:16

1 Attachment(s)
and here is a rear view I took a few years back

Atarah 03-04-2011 23:23

Love the coloured photo you have just submitted Retlaw. I believe it to be one of the many done in the 1930's by students of Accrington Art School on Blackburn Road.

Retlaw 03-04-2011 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atarah (Post 895930)
and here is a rear view I took a few years back

That wall was'nt there when I used to drag my sledge past there on my way to Macalpines field, when I were a lad. It had a nice garden front, and the rest was a Hawthorn hedge all the way to Leemings Pad
Retlaw

pilki 04-04-2011 08:21

Thank you for your responses, particularly the pictures - it's really interesting to see what it used to look like.
The name of the house - engraved on the wall - is "Coach House" but we are just trying to establish exactly what purpose it was built for and when, as the building seems to be really well known in Accrington, but everyone we speak to seems to have their own ideas of its history! Very grateful for any further information, especially if anyone can date the building for us
Thanks again

Atarah 04-04-2011 16:50

Re the painting shown on posting no. 6 by Retlaw. I was quite chuffed to find out today that it was done by Mr Gerard de Rose, an Accrington artist who became very well known, and as mentioned in another post, painted many famous pop stars in the 1960's. Good Accrington library for informing me of this!

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rose-5363.html

maryemmanuel 15-03-2012 11:54

Hi there I have just joined this forum and seen your questions about Broad Oak and I was born there at my grandmas farm. It was a working farm and the big Oak Tree was in the grounds of the farm. Mrs Crow was my godmother and she lived in what was similar to a big coach house nearby. There was the farm with many farm outbuildings and also a cottage where the Charnleys lived. All this was set in grounds which were enclosed. I spent many happy years there as a child. Hope this fills some more information for you. I don't think I have any photos of this from my childhood as my parents must have kept them.

Retlaw 15-03-2012 12:17

The house on the extreme right in post 4, is where the Crow's lived, David Crow their, son was a mate of mine back in the 1930's. They were related to the Crow's who had the Joinery Business in South St..

Bob Dobson 15-03-2012 15:06

I think that in the end of the 1800s, a man called Ashworth lived in one of these houses. He was buildings manager for Broad Oak & the Hargreaves.

pilki 17-03-2012 19:45

Thank you for the additional replies. We still havent managed to date the Coach House - it doesnt show on any census information as it wasnt originally residential, so we are still hoping that someone may come up with a definitive date. In the meantime, thank you for your responses