Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2010, 02:15   #1
Give, give, give member

Accrington's 'Little Italy?'

An interesting article by Neil Sayer, L.C.C.'s senior archivist, about Italians in the north west, and in Accrington, including an amusing account of bicycling Horrace Bacigalupo.

News from the Archives edition 57 (Dec 2006
Valerie Bacigalupo likes this.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-02-2010, 11:34   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Accrington's 'Little Italy?'

Very interesting rindy, I especially liked,

Quote:
Horace was only two generations
removed from Genoa.
"Good God Sir! what can we expect? This tyke comes from a background of culture that conquered the known world while we were still living in the historical equivalent of bicycle sheds, make an example of him immediately or next thing you know we'll have hoards of his kind and perhaps worse coming over and stealing our jobs".

Quote:
Charged on 23
January 1934 with riding his bicycle in Oswaldtwistle without a “red rear lamp or light”. His excuse? “It had broken off a short time ago”. PC Moore had spotted him at 6.50 pm and brought him before the 3 magistrates specially assembled for the purpose:
We should have more of this swift Justice.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:24   #3
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post

Aye, the cops should start by rounding up these drunks found staggering out the Railway Hotel most weekday afternoons.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:29   #4
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Very interesting rindy, I especially liked,

"Good God Sir! what can we expect? This tyke comes from a background of culture that conquered the known world while we were still living in the historical equivalent of bicycle sheds, make an example of him immediately or next thing you know we'll have hoards of his kind and perhaps worse coming over and stealing our jobs".

Nowadays he'd more likely be given a hug by the policeman, and presented with a new a bike, to encourage him from breaking the law again, instead of finding himself before the magistrates, and named and shamed in the local paper for committing his heinous crime.

Old 01-02-2010, 16:33   #5
Senior Member+

Distant memory - a Joe Bacigalupo, married to the daughter of Nellie Renshaw - lived on Countess St I think and at one time in Fielding Lane, way up the top.
Old 14-03-2010, 20:41   #6

In the 1950s there was a Bacigalupo who had a barber shop on, I think, Richmond Hill Street near to its crossing with Ormerod Street. I seem to remember hearing that he had a daughter who became engaged to Bob Scott who played football for the Stanley at the time.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 21:32   #7
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidf View Post
In the 1950s there was a Bacigalupo who had a barber shop on, I think, Richmond Hill Street near to its crossing with Ormerod Street. I seem to remember hearing that he had a daughter who became engaged to Bob Scott who played football for the Stanley at the time.
Don't you mean Bert Scott- that lovely tall slim winger I had a girly crush on at the time

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 07:21   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Don't you mean Bert Scott- that lovely tall slim winger I had a girly crush on at the time
Bert is still batting Top bloke n friend of mine,was talking to his son just the other week.
Old 15-03-2010, 14:46   #9

There was a Bacigalupo at the Grammar School during the time I was there 1941-1945.Cant remember his Christian name though. Bob Dobson might know.
Jim Procter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 17:27   #10
Senior Member+

No I don't know. There have been at least two Bacigalupos with barber's shops I think. I was under the impression that darwen was the Italian capital of Lancashire. Maybe they are left-overs from the constipation camp in Ossie during the war. There was a book about this published about 5yrs ago.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 20:52   #11

There was a lad barry bacigalupo attended the art school within the accrington grammer school round about 1949/50 lived in baxenden think he went on to the barrow print works as did most of the art students round about that
keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 10:14   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
No I don't know. There have been at least two Bacigalupos with barber's shops I think. I was under the impression that darwen was the Italian capital of Lancashire. Maybe they are left-overs from the constipation camp in Ossie during the war. There was a book about this published about 5yrs ago.
Hi Bob,
Why 'constipation' camp? is there an interesting story or was it just a 'slip of the lip'?
Actually I can remember my mum taking me up to see what was left of the camp and also mentioning that many of the Italian prisoners actually married Ossie girls at the end of the war. Also she told me that at Xmas /Easter etc... some of the prisoners were invited to local homes.
Any info anyone??
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 10:42   #13
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sm_counsell View Post
Hi Bob,
Why 'constipation' camp? is there an interesting story or was it just a 'slip of the lip'?
Actually I can remember my mum taking me up to see what was left of the camp and also mentioning that many of the Italian prisoners actually married Ossie girls at the end of the war. Also she told me that at Xmas /Easter etc... some of the prisoners were invited to local homes.
Any info anyone??
In post 52 of this thread I've put the link on to the programme (part 1 of 5) about the camp.

Interviewd are some former (German) prisoner who married local lasses.

I hope you find it interesting.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...l-31151-4.html

Old 16-03-2010, 15:10   #14
Senior Member+

And .... going back even further ...... around Warner Street area we had an Italian Ice Cream vendor! In 1889 Warner Street was classed as "the most demoralising place in the town". Mr. Louis Brown, the ice cream man, had premises in Warner Street, where he had an ice cream parlour. (not sure on this, but a possibility we are talking the bottom property of Warner Street/Cross Street)- where once Key Joe's, used to be, then it was lastly Red Rose Paints I believe. Two guys were charged with obstruction. They had been seen on the Sunday evening, drinking and dancing in the street, directly opposite the ice cream parlour! The Chief Constable said the house was a frequent resort of youths and young women on Sunday evenings, the boys for the most part being found smoking. On one Sunday there were seen to be 57 youths in the house - 45 lads and 12 lasses! Another day 30 in total. On another occasion, 99 lads and 5 lasses! Reports had been sent to the Watch Committee and the Chairman said it was necessary that members of the public should be aware of this "den of iniquity" and parents should take need of what was happening in the street. He said he regarded the house as the most demoralising place in the town. He did not think there was any beerhouse in the town that suffered this type of behaviour. This was in 1889! Things never change, eh!
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2010, 16:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
In post 52 of this thread I've put the link on to the programme (part 1 of 5) about the camp.

Interviewd are some former (German) prisoner who married local lasses.

I hope you find it interesting.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...l-31151-4.html
Thanks so much, I did enjoy it, and seeing old Ossie almost brought a tear to my eye!!
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..