Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2011, 16:50   #31
God Member

Re: Accrington's 'Little Italy?'

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Funny how things stick in your mind... I remember the surnames Di Mambro, Philippini and Bacigalupo when I was growing up, couldn't tell you why except I know Bacigalupo was a hairdresser. Probably the exotic sounds of the names made them memorable, but you are probably used to that by now mobertol.
Do you know i never realised they were of Italian extraction back then -they were all "dead lanky" the way they spoke -it was only when i moved here that I made the connection...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-11-2011, 20:36   #32
Senior Member+

There was a chap who was gaffer at the sports center called bacigalupo in the 80's.
Old 07-12-2011, 20:20   #33
God Member

Just looked up this surname on Internet - it's from the South of Italy in origin and means literally "to kiss a wolf" which apparently equates to a person of "dubious integrity"....

(Baciare il lupo - is to kiss a wolf in Italian-" bacigare" is the dialect in the south for to kiss...hence : Baciga - lupo, kiss the wolf, possible connections to the "Malavita" -Mafia and such?).

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 07-12-2011, 20:24   #34
God Member

Pronunciation -in English we say "Bassygaluppo" in Italian it's actually:

"Ba -chee-ga-lou -po" they obviously adopted the more English pronunciation to fit in.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 08-12-2011, 00:56   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Pronunciation -in English we say "Bassygaluppo" in Italian it's actually:

"Ba -chee-ga-lou -po" they obviously adopted the more English pronunciation to fit in.
Very interesting ... thanks for the info.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 01:34   #36
God Member

My (italian)mother in law's name was Scavo, which means 'dig', so the name could have derived from gravediggers.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:59   #37
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My (italian)mother in law's name was Scavo, which means 'dig', so the name could have derived from gravediggers.
Or even gold diggers Margaret
Old 24-01-2012, 18:16   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
I had a great great uncle named Joe Bacigalupo. He died when I was only little though. Always been told that side of the family is from Genoa.
hi, my wifes grandad was joseph bacigalupo, from the accrington area. He had 6 brothers i think. His son was William Baxendale (changed name 1945, have papers) who married Pat Pusey in Ormskirk. My wifes parents. I think that makes her your distant cousin? And alos our 3 children. We live in old skelmersdale. Contact me if you want/have further details. Thanks
Oh, and all the family was from Geona, and Joes father, Bathmolew baciagalupo, walked over the alps with his wife, kids and 1 of his brothers to get to england. famous family story.
kerry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 18:18   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyGirl View Post
Barry Bacigalupo was/is my second cousin, his mother, Alice Mary Wood married Leo Bacigalupo in 1930 and she had ladies hairdresser's on Church Street, she died 1970..they lived Manchester Road Baxenden.....by coincidence my mother was also Alice Mary Wood, and she married a Cuddihy in 1931....two cousins ..same name....so it was confusing researching family history, but got all the documents now, so can confirm the above...but don't know, as yet, what happened to Barry
Hi,please see my other reply on this thread re my wifes grandad, Joseph Bacigalupo. Think you must be related to her in some way. Please contact me if you have any more info. Thanks
kerry75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2012, 18:24   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Bert is still batting Top bloke n friend of mine,was talking to his son just the other week.
is he still cleaning windows
Old 24-01-2012, 18:58   #41
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmonstanley View Post
is he still cleaning windows
Nah hes oer 80 now, does a bit of collecting,his lad does the windows, was talking to him just before christmas.
Old 24-01-2012, 20:14   #42
Rest in Peace

Quite a few Italians worked on the afternoon shift in the development tunnels at Huncoat Pit,very helpfull if you required a lift moving machinery underground.I remember just one name which was Adam.
When they got off the Huncoat bus Bottom of Little Blackburn Rd they were all dressed to kill and away they went around the pubs, this would be 9.00 in the evening and you could not tell they had just done 7 hours in the pit.
Very good workers earning top money,always looking after there boss.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 03:44   #43
Mog

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
Quite a few Italians worked on the afternoon shift in the development tunnels at Huncoat Pit,very helpfull if you required a lift moving machinery underground.I remember just one name which was Adam.
When they got off the Huncoat bus Bottom of Little Blackburn Rd they were all dressed to kill and away they went around the pubs, this would be 9.00 in the evening and you could not tell they had just done 7 hours in the pit.
Very good workers earning top money,always looking after there boss.
I remember Adam very well. We worked together for quite a while about 1964/65. We used to do the drilling into the rockface up the rise on nightshift ready for the shot Firer in the morning. he was a very fiery man and it didnt take much to upset him. He always wanted to fight someone. Never me though for some reason. Most fights took place behind the Baths after work. On one occasion it went too far. I think it was with a guy called Tommy Thorpe he was on development. Adam was may I say, A well known Ladies man. Also remember working with a Polish/Ukraine/German/Russian guy called Merlin. He lived down Clayton on the main road before the turning to bottom end. You could tell his house from the multi coloured bricks on the front. Other names spring to mind. Jack the pole, Black Bob, Herman the German and so on.Great Memories.
Mog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 09:21   #44
Senior Member+

At Hapton Valley I worked with Marto Lepri, an Iti who lived in Ossie. Great sense of humour. Liked to catch rats with his hands. He died in the Hapton Valley explosion
c1960.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2012, 09:45   #45
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
At Hapton Valley I worked with Marto Lepri, an Iti who lived in Ossie. Great sense of humour. Liked to catch rats with his hands. He died in the Hapton Valley explosion
c1960.
was later in 60s surely Bob?Seem to recall just before i left school which was early 63.

Last edited by cashman; 25-01-2012 at 09:47.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..