Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-05-2012, 08:15   #1
God Member

Dowty's

Has anyone got information on an engineering firm which I believe used to be in Clayton -called Dowty's? My Gt Grandfather sold a patent to them around the early 1930's. (I put the name in the Accyweb search box and see that there is a Dowty street somewhere in Accy).

Also if anyone knew anything about a mill/ factory that used to be in Atlas Street (top end of Clayton) which burned down, again in the early 1930's I believe. No name for this one unfortunately (might have been a weaving mill).

Thanks for any help

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-05-2012, 08:28   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Dowty's

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Has anyone got information on an engineering firm which I believe used to be in Clayton -called Dowty's? My Gt Grandfather sold a patent to them around the early 1930's. (I put the name in the Accyweb search box and see that there is a Dowty street somewhere in Accy).

Also if anyone knew anything about a mill/ factory that used to be in Atlas Street (top end of Clayton) which burned down, again in the early 1930's I believe. No name for this one unfortunately (might have been a weaving mill).

Thanks for any help
Are you sure its not Dowry St. There was engineering firm at the bottom of Dowry St.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 08:33   #3
Resting in Peace

[quote=Bernard Dawson;994467] That was exactly my first thoughts Bernard, never heard of Dowty street
Old 28-05-2012, 08:41   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernard Dawson View Post
Are you sure its not Dowry St. There was engineering firm at the bottom of Dowry St.
Is Dowry street in Clayton?
Dowty may be a copying error by my mum from old family letters - she said she thought it was an aircraft engineering firm -but I'm not sure as the patent was for a mining invention...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 28-05-2012, 08:42   #5
God Member

Just checked my notes and i've written Dowty's -unfortunately mum is away on holiday for 3 weeks so i can't get her to check the originals!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 28-05-2012, 08:48   #6
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
Is Dowry street in Clayton?
Dowty may be a copying error by my mum from old family letters - she said she thought it was an aircraft engineering firm -but I'm not sure as the patent was for a mining invention...
No its Accrington.Its just the Dowty and Dowry similarities.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 08:54   #7
Resting In Peace

Di, Dowry Street in Accrington runs off Whalley Road, just north of and parallel to Burnley Road.
Old 28-05-2012, 10:04   #8
Senior Member+

I agree - Dowry. There is/was a firm called Dowty who made metal pit-props. Accrington library may have the patent. I have given them some over the years.There are no Dowtys in the 1951 directory in Accrington or Clayton. It should be possible to trace the patent if you can provide a name of whoever took it out in the first place.There are several patent libraries and perhaps an on-line search facility.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 10:19   #9
Rest in Peace

Dowty hydralic pit props and supports including automatic walking supports were made in Wigan and supplied to the N.C.B.all over the country, many installed at Hapton Valley Pit. Where we installed the latest support where one man operated eight walking supports while knelt safely under one.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 10:32   #10

I've a vague feeling that Dowty's was part of Blake Hydraulic Engineering, and indeed, if you Google it, there was a Dowty hydraulic pump.
Balbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 10:40   #11
Resting In Peace

Dowty or Dowty prop, the first British made hand operated hydraulic prop developed by Dowty Mining Equipment in 1946. By 1956 there were 400,000 hydraulic props and 200,000 yielding props in use. These were of tubular steel construction designed to be erected single handed and set by a pumping action using a pump handle. They were generally set to yield at about 15-20 tons bearing pressure.

Dowty

Pit Prop, 1950-1985
Old 28-05-2012, 11:28   #12
Senior Member+

Susie's posting supports my view. I didn't dowtyt for one minute.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 11:30   #13
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Susie's posting supports my view. I didn't dowtyt for one minute.
He he, thanks Bob.
Old 28-05-2012, 12:26   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I agree - Dowry. There is/was a firm called Dowty who made metal pit-props. Accrington library may have the patent. I have given them some over the years.There are no Dowtys in the 1951 directory in Accrington or Clayton. It should be possible to trace the patent if you can provide a name of whoever took it out in the first place.There are several patent libraries and perhaps an on-line search facility.
That's brilliant -thank you so much. Karma due -have given out too much today! If you've more info would be grateful -location etc...
This makes a lot of sense -the invention was an attachment for the insertion/removal of pit props either metal or wood -it was called the Croston slip wedge -I have the patent number too -my mum has all the original documentation at home in Tenerife. It won two certificates of merit at the mining exhibition in Manchester in 1925 and the International Exhibition of inventions in 1929 in Westminster. It's fascinating stuff to research -especially when it's someone from your own family. My Gt grandfather, Thomas Croston worked in the mines at Dickie Brig pit, Altham (Whinney Hill) and Hapton colliery from the age of 11 -working up to be a foreman in charge of the groups of men opening up new galleries and faces to be worked -dangerous job!
His life became a kind of crusade for safety in the mines and he wrote hundreds of letters over about 15 years (we have rough copies of them all in his journals plus copies he made of every reply and the original letters!) it was an obsession for him to get his invention adopted but he gave up in the early thirties after many disappointments and financial difficulties due to the depression and the burning down of a mill/factory in Atlas St. where he lost a massive investment. Shortly after he had a stroke, was paralysed and never spoke again....so sad. The last of his children living, my Gt Aunt Ruth has told us she never heard her father's voice!
This is all being worked into a story I'm writing so the more authentic detail I can find the better.

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 28-05-2012, 12:33   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Dowty or Dowty prop, the first British made hand operated hydraulic prop developed by Dowty Mining Equipment in 1946. By 1956 there were 400,000 hydraulic props and 200,000 yielding props in use. These were of tubular steel construction designed to be erected single handed and set by a pumping action using a pump handle. They were generally set to yield at about 15-20 tons bearing pressure.

Dowty

Pit Prop, 1950-1985
Thanks for this Sue -the Dowty link supports what mum said about the Aircraft industry. The patent was sold early 30's which also ties in!

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..