Thread: Dowty's
View Single Post
Old 28-05-2012, 12:26   #14
mobertol
God Member

Re: Dowty's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I agree - Dowry. There is/was a firm called Dowty who made metal pit-props. Accrington library may have the patent. I have given them some over the years.There are no Dowtys in the 1951 directory in Accrington or Clayton. It should be possible to trace the patent if you can provide a name of whoever took it out in the first place.There are several patent libraries and perhaps an on-line search facility.
That's brilliant -thank you so much. Karma due -have given out too much today! If you've more info would be grateful -location etc...
This makes a lot of sense -the invention was an attachment for the insertion/removal of pit props either metal or wood -it was called the Croston slip wedge -I have the patent number too -my mum has all the original documentation at home in Tenerife. It won two certificates of merit at the mining exhibition in Manchester in 1925 and the International Exhibition of inventions in 1929 in Westminster. It's fascinating stuff to research -especially when it's someone from your own family. My Gt grandfather, Thomas Croston worked in the mines at Dickie Brig pit, Altham (Whinney Hill) and Hapton colliery from the age of 11 -working up to be a foreman in charge of the groups of men opening up new galleries and faces to be worked -dangerous job!
His life became a kind of crusade for safety in the mines and he wrote hundreds of letters over about 15 years (we have rough copies of them all in his journals plus copies he made of every reply and the original letters!) it was an obsession for him to get his invention adopted but he gave up in the early thirties after many disappointments and financial difficulties due to the depression and the burning down of a mill/factory in Atlas St. where he lost a massive investment. Shortly after he had a stroke, was paralysed and never spoke again....so sad. The last of his children living, my Gt Aunt Ruth has told us she never heard her father's voice!
This is all being worked into a story I'm writing so the more authentic detail I can find the better.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote