Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2015, 22:06   #61
Junior Member+

Question Re: English Electric Company (Clayton-le-moors).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
That factory was purpose built in 1939, for the production of the Bristol Radial Engine, some people knew then, that there would be a war with Germany, even though Chamberlain thought there would be peace in our time.
My father went to Bristol at Clayton as a machine setter in late 1939.

Other factory's up and down the country were built for the production of war materials at the same time, otherwise we would'nt have had the battle of Britain when Spitfires and Hurricanes beat off the Luftwaffe. Rolls Royce were producing the Merlin Engines in great quantities.

Retlaw.
I`ve recently read that 54,000 Bristol `Hercules` sleeve valved radial engines were made at Bristol`s `Accrington` factory.

That`s an impressive number. If production started say in 1940, when do you reckon the production run ended?
Flakmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-05-2015, 11:15   #62
I am Banned

Re: English Electric Company (Clayton-le-moors).

Jim Longworth has published a number of books on the NW aviation history and heritage, you will probably find the answers there Flakmann in the Library I have a couple of his books somewhere, I'll PM you when I find them
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2015, 09:58   #63
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flakmann View Post
I`ve recently read that 54,000 Bristol `Hercules` sleeve valved radial engines were made at Bristol`s `Accrington` factory.

That`s an impressive number. If production started say in 1940, when do you reckon the production run ended?
Think that numbers way off the mark for the Clayton factory Flakmann. My reading tells me a total of 57,400 were produced. As Retlaw says there was indeed some engine production there, I remember the engine test sheds down on the Rishton side of the site, derelect in my apprenticeship days. But the production of these engines was spread across a variety of UK sites.

The works produced more airframe sections and assemblies in the main for the war effort as a "shadow factory". Production being shared with English Electric at Preston, Fairey Aviation at Stockport and Rootes at Speke near Liverpool.
Old 26-05-2015, 21:13   #64
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Think that numbers way off the mark for the Clayton factory Flakmann. My reading tells me a total of 57,400 were produced. As Retlaw says there was indeed some engine production there, I remember the engine test sheds down on the Rishton side of the site, derelect in my apprenticeship days. But the production of these engines was spread across a variety of UK sites.

The works produced more airframe sections and assemblies in the main for the war effort as a "shadow factory". Production being shared with English Electric at Preston, Fairey Aviation at Stockport and Rootes at Speke near Liverpool.
Yep Bristol was mostly machining of crankcases and other components from foundry's elsewhere, and the likes of piston rings, bearings and crakshafts which were also produced elsewhere, then final assembly and testing. Father told me they also experimented with water injection, as they discovered that engines ran better & had fewer stalls when it was raining. Motor bike riders will know what I mean. My Triumph 650 twin always sounded sweeter when it was raining, I did some experimenting on my bike and found the piston crown, valves and cylinder head were cleaner when water was added at the air intake. Very difficult to measure the precise amount but I managed it useing patience and precision.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2015, 19:42   #65
Junior Member+

Intersting stuff guys, Retlaw remembering the derelict engine test sheds suggests at least final assembly and dispatch from Clayton.

A Hercules sleeve seizing problem caused by very slightly out of round sleeves was solved by Clayton engineers. I don`t know what we are talking about here; a thou? a tength of a thou? ; but that suggeste the sleeves were made at Clayton. Anybody know more about that?
Old 28-05-2015, 20:50   #66
I am Banned

Quote:
Intersting stuff guys, Retlaw remembering the derelict engine test sheds suggests at least final assembly and dispatch from Clayton.

A Hercules sleeve seizing problem caused by very slightly out of round sleeves was solved by Clayton engineers. I don`t know what we are talking about here; a thou? a tength of a thou? ; but that suggeste the sleeves were made at Clayton. Anybody know more about that?
I doubt that sleeves would be made at Clayton, they are a specsilist product as are piston rings, if you've ever been inside an engine you will see that a piston is very sloppy in the bore, tha difference is made up by the piston rings, usually 3 or more, which bed themselves in and become hardened, a metal called meehanite is involved.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 08:26   #67
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
I doubt that sleeves would be made at Clayton, they are a specsilist product as are piston rings, if you've ever been inside an engine you will see that a piston is very sloppy in the bore, tha difference is made up by the piston rings, usually 3 or more, which bed themselves in and become hardened, a metal called meehanite is involved.
I think that the sleeves slide up and down outside the liners, The pistons run inside the liners which have slots in their sides, and the sleeves - also with slots, slide outside the liners. At certain times during the engine cycle ,these slots line up ,hence the valve effect.

These sleeves therefore must be an excellent sliding fit between both the liner and the outside finned cylinder block/head.

As far as those Clayton lads solving the early seizing problem, perhaps thr sleeves were brougt in for final lapping at Clayton to finer tolerences.
Old 29-05-2015, 17:05   #68
Senior Member+

Water injection was used for short periods to boost engine performance and is still used today in drag racing and the like
Old 29-05-2015, 17:31   #69
Senior Member+

Quote:

As far as those Clayton lads solving the early seizing problem, perhaps thr sleeves were brougt in for final lapping at Clayton to finer tolerences.
The sleeves were seizing because when finished they were stacked on their sides, causing them to go out of true.
The solution was to stack them standing vertical.
Sounds like the sort of simple, elegant solution you'd expect from a group of Lancashire lads!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 21:22   #70

just saw this tonight my brother served his time at English electric in the fifties, also my mother worked there from 1939/ until 1967. my brother who is now almost 77 went to oz fifty years ago he is coming over in july for a holiday his name was jack cronshaw my mum was called violet. my late husband also served his time there almost a family affair also remember the footfall as we lived in the hygiene place good days .
violet
violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2015, 21:49   #71
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
The sleeves were seizing because when finished they were stacked on their sides, causing them to go out of true.
The solution was to stack them standing vertical.
Sounds like the sort of simple, elegant solution you'd expect from a group of Lancashire lads!

Brilliant!! That`s that then.

But I`d still like to know for just how long Clayton were invoved with Hercules engines after WWII had finished. About that time the jet engine was beginning to sound the death nell for engines like the RR Merlin/Griffin/ Napier Sabre.
Old 30-05-2015, 08:47   #72
Junior Member+

Apologies DtheP47, It was you who remember the Hercules engine test sheds.

Just can`t believe how many typing errors I make;
death Knell, death,knell, deth knell, de
Old 08-06-2015, 15:05   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
http://www.accringtonweb.com/gallery...e=13057&size=1

Click on the above and then click open to view photograph taken on the Machine Tool Overhaul (MTO) section at English Electric, Clayton le moors in the early 1960's. I'm third from the right standing with arms folded. Picture shows wedding gift presentation to Jack Woods by Albert Bimpson.
Dear Stumped
I realise you posted this a year ago but I only just found it. Jack Woods was my dad. Sadly he passed away back in December. Nice to find a picture of him with his work colleagues. It must have been Feb/early March 1962. Thank you.
awoods10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:53   #74
I am Banned

Quote:

The only pistons I saw machined down there in A shop were the Napier Deltic Diesel locomotive/marine engine pistons, they had a copper crown. CNC turned as two details all fit up together final turned as an assembly and the crown details machined on a double head (Duplex) milling machine.
That was in the early 60's, they went I think to Newton le Willows for assembly into the engine although Wiki says they were assembled at Dick Kerrs in Preston. Maybe so?.
Old 09-06-2015, 11:35   #75

Emailed my Dad the photo from this thread last night of the MTO and he recognised almost all of them on there. He worked on that section at the time but wasn't on the picture.
smobile is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..