Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-11-2011, 16:55   #1
Resting In Peace

Hyndburn heritage

Excuse my ignorance as a relative newcomer to Accyweb but I have just come across this website

Hyndburn Heritage

Does any Accyweb member have a connection with this site which has been online since Feb 2011.

Would be interested to know more about the project.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 25-11-2011, 17:02   #2
Full Member+

Re: Hyndburn heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Excuse my ignorance as a relative newcomer to Accyweb but I have just come across this website

Hyndburn Heritage

Does any Accyweb member have a connection with this site which has been online since Feb 2011.

Would be interested to know more about the project.
Thanks for drawing our attention to this, should be a great site when it's finished....I've put it in my favourites!
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 17:09   #3
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Thanks for drawing our attention to this, should be a great site when it's finished....I've put it in my favourites!
You're welcome Steve, just wondered if I was flagging something everyone knew about, or what...

The site looks very new, not sure how much effort is going into it (sorry don't mean to offend anyone).
Old 25-11-2011, 17:17   #4
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
You're welcome Steve, just wondered if I was flagging something everyone knew about, or what...

The site looks very new, not sure how much effort is going into it (sorry don't mean to offend anyone).
Don't think it's been flagged on here before, I usually check out the historical type threads.
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 21:51   #5

Looks promising,thanks
wadey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2011, 22:57   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

wasn't aware of it cheers susie x
Old 26-11-2011, 08:31   #7
Senior Member+

I think this has the makings of a good site.I shall suggest ideas on development to the webmaster/mistress. One such idea is to trawl through the postings in Famous Accringtonians on Accyweb and put them together.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 10:12   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Happen Bernard knows summat about this site? cos hes looking n it dont seem like a Hot potato.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:15   #9
I am Banned

I too am a local history buff and have never come across this site. However on first glance iv read a lot of the individual subjects. It seems to me to be a compilation of local history books/texts that are in the reference library. Like the H anb B book and foul deeds and murders etc are books in their own right. Thats not to criticize btw, its just an observation as i think it could be a great site for reference.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 10:18   #10
I am Banned

Upon further inspection it just looks like a catalogue of all local books. Not having a go, just merely pointing out that the more knowledgeable local historians for example will glean little new info from this site.

Last edited by groove; 26-11-2011 at 10:21.
Old 26-11-2011, 10:20   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Happen Bernard knows summat about this site? cos hes looking n it dont seem like a Hot potato.
No its new to me. Looks interesting.
Bernard Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 11:16   #12
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
I too am a local history buff and have never come across this site. However on first glance iv read a lot of the individual subjects. It seems to me to be a compilation of local history books/texts that are in the reference library. Like the H anb B book and foul deeds and murders etc are books in their own right. Thats not to criticize btw, its just an observation as i think it could be a great site for reference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Upon further inspection it just looks like a catalogue of all local books. Not having a go, just merely pointing out that the more knowledgeable local historians for example will glean little new info from this site.
Well I'm glad my discovery of this site has sparked some interest. Actually Groove that's the second time today I've agreed with you - thought your post on the comedy thread was spot on. Your summing up of this new site is acccurate - perhaps they hope to start with the books etc and hope people will add their memories etc. Great oaks from little acorns etc... quite appropriate for Accrington.

Just wish there was more info about the people/organisations behind the project - it's all a bit of a mystery.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:24   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Thinking about it though Groove, surely all Historical sites must bear reference to summat? or there would be sod all on em.
Old 26-11-2011, 11:38   #14
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Thinking about it though Groove, surely all Historical sites must bear reference to summat? or there would be sod all on em.
yeh i agree Cashy. But what im saying is that this site seems to just give a general desciption of books already in the public domain. If you click on the "murders and gruesome cases" or whatever it does'nt go into detail about any local cases ie Black Panther, Girl with no hands etc, it just gives you the title and author, publisher etc of the actual book thats already been in the libraray for years. Maybe, like Suzie said folk may contribute in time, but at the moment i can find little that i did'nt know anyway. Must say though its a mystery who's running the site.

Last edited by groove; 26-11-2011 at 11:42.
Old 26-11-2011, 12:05   #15

The site is a personal project of mine that I haven't been able to work on for quite a few months due to work commitments. I wanted to catalogue lots of bits that cropped up in research in a more orderly and structured fashion. I had planned to look at local industry, landmarks, buildings, famous people as well as other bits and bats. I also wanted to cross reference articles like wikipedia does (links to the bullough family from the H&B article for example). Most articles are currently empty as you can see

The books were to be included as links at the bottom of articles as further reading suggestions if people liked the subjects. I think a few of yours are in there Bob Obviously I haven't got that far yet.

Feel free to comment / critique it. I welcome the input and will take no offence. It is very much a work in progress. The only reason I hadn't mentioned it sooner is because of it's incomplete nature.

I had thought about opening it up to a few contributors in a Wikipedia style setup, but again this is something that I never got around to planning properly or doing. If anyone is interested let me know - I'm happy to accept help on it. I'll try and fill it out a bit more over xmas on some days off
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..