Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-11-2011, 12:22   #16
I am Banned

Re: Hyndburn heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
The site is a personal project of mine that I haven't been able to work on for quite a few months due to work commitments. I wanted to catalogue lots of bits that cropped up in research in a more orderly and structured fashion. I had planned to look at local industry, landmarks, buildings, famous people as well as other bits and bats. I also wanted to cross reference articles like wikipedia does (links to the bullough family from the H&B article for example). Most articles are currently empty as you can see

The books were to be included as links at the bottom of articles as further reading suggestions if people liked the subjects. I think a few of yours are in there Bob Obviously I haven't got that far yet.

Feel free to comment / critique it. I welcome the input and will take no offence. It is very much a work in progress. The only reason I hadn't mentioned it sooner is because of it's incomplete nature.

I had thought about opening it up to a few contributors in a Wikipedia style setup, but again this is something that I never got around to planning properly or doing. If anyone is interested let me know - I'm happy to accept help on it. I'll try and fill it out a bit more over xmas on some days off
Good work Pud. Was'nt meaning to be uncomplimentary. Good luck.
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-11-2011, 12:34   #17
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
The site is a personal project of mine that I haven't been able to work on for quite a few months due to work commitments. I wanted to catalogue lots of bits that cropped up in research in a more orderly and structured fashion. I had planned to look at local industry, landmarks, buildings, famous people as well as other bits and bats. I also wanted to cross reference articles like wikipedia does (links to the bullough family from the H&B article for example). Most articles are currently empty as you can see

The books were to be included as links at the bottom of articles as further reading suggestions if people liked the subjects. I think a few of yours are in there Bob Obviously I haven't got that far yet.

Feel free to comment / critique it. I welcome the input and will take no offence. It is very much a work in progress. The only reason I hadn't mentioned it sooner is because of it's incomplete nature.

I had thought about opening it up to a few contributors in a Wikipedia style setup, but again this is something that I never got around to planning properly or doing. If anyone is interested let me know - I'm happy to accept help on it. I'll try and fill it out a bit more over xmas on some days off

All is revealed - if it's just you Pudwoppa then well done. Shame you hadn't mentioned it before, it might have got more interest/input.

Seems like a labour of love for you and like me you like things to be organised. I look forward to seeing it develop, sorry can't offer to help but good luck, you have made a promising start.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2011, 12:59   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove View Post
Was'nt meaning to be uncomplimentary.
It's fine - I need input to make it better. You were right, it is pretty much a list of books at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Shame you hadn't mentioned it before, it might have got more interest/input.
Perhaps you're right. I'm not too fussed about interest just yet. But I could definitely have done with more input in hindsight I really wanted to wait until the bare bones were in place before approaching people for help - I thought it would make the pitch much easier.
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 20:54   #19
Senior Member+

Here's me raising a glass and wishing success to the site.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 21:02   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Here's me raising a glass and wishing success to the site.
Thats just n excuse fer another pint.
Old 30-09-2014, 08:59   #21

So what happened Sue? 3 years on and I went looking for it this morning, but all I found was the Museum over writing your link with their .com site?
wilkinp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2014, 09:08   #22
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinp4 View Post
So what happened Sue? 3 years on and I went looking for it this morning, but all I found was the Museum over writing your link with their .com site?
If you look under Sue's name on the post you refer to you will see that she has sadly passed away.

Some members on here are involved with the museum so may be able to help but I don't understand your question about overwriting the link. It looks like they decided to use a .com address and have redirected there .co.uk address to it. Quite way someone would want a Hyndburn history website to have a .com address is strange when .co.uk ones are always cheaper to register and more relevant.

You could do with looking at your own website, when you put your web address into the address bar it changes it to show your sites IP, looks confusing and a bit naff

Oh and right mouse button disabling is so annoying in the age of multi tab browsing, many people like to right click and open in new tab and it does nothing to stop people copying your pictures

Last edited by Neil; 30-09-2014 at 09:13.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..