Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-07-2010, 14:29   #76
Senior Member+

Re: Old House At Home Pub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleymad View Post
Whooooh when was that taken gremlin??
I think? it would be around the late 70's. I know it was rather warm in the New Brewery.
Old 29-07-2010, 14:32   #77
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Where did Hughie go after the Old House, was it Adelphi ? His name rings a bell
Dunno dave, don't think adelphi, Cissie had it fer years after she left the Great Eastern.
Old 29-07-2010, 14:35   #78
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I think? it would be around the late 70's. I know it was rather warm in the New Brewery.
was definately 70s mid/late cos i was wed n living down church. by the way gremlin was ya goin in Horseshoe when either Doug the coloured guy or Bob Sharples the guy with the hair lip had it? if so our paths have certainly crossed.
Old 29-07-2010, 17:36   #79
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was definately 70s mid/late cos i was wed n living down church. by the way gremlin was ya goin in Horseshoe when either Doug the coloured guy or Bob Sharples the guy with the hair lip had it? if so our paths have certainly crossed.
just checked some other photos from the same year album and they were in with the ones taken when I was sailing round the Scilly isles in 1978.

Doug was a driver at Bowkers and had run the Mill Gap in Blackburn prior to the Horse Shoe. Stan Hindle and Ted Sharples were drinking buddies if mine in the Shoe. Phillomina was the pianist and was a lot of an alki.

A chap called Alan was the landlord of the Royal oak on
Meadow street and he was a works fireman at Howard and Bullough's.
Big John Glenn, a Scotch man ran the Brewery.

You may remember me driving a Gilbraith Tanker and parking behind the Bull Bridge pub, one pub I never went in.

I have lots of happy memories of the Old House at Home cos my first wife Sheila a blond bombshell had just left me for ever and ever Amen. It took me five years to pay her debt off but worth every penny.
Old 29-07-2010, 18:26   #80
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

yep remember Alan n Big John, Ted Sharples was bob n steves dad, knew his missus an all when she lived up ossy, Doug though took the "Mill Gap" when he left the Horseshoe, we went oer a couple of times to see him, top geezer. also used to mate wi big johns lad Baz, think he lives up milnshaw way now, aint seen him fer 8/9 yrs.
Old 29-07-2010, 18:43   #81
God Member

How spooky this thread showed up again. I was asking someone on Sunday what this pub was called - I described the location and decor but just couldn't remember the name but someone said it was called Old House at Home. To be honest, I still don't remember that as a name for a pub in Accy but they were adamant.

Then this thread popped up.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 18:47   #82
God Member

Just read through again and seen that in the early 80s it was called Corners or Cock and Bull - they definitely sound more familiar.

It was a right pokey place.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2010, 18:51   #83
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayle View Post
Just read through again and seen that in the early 80s it was called Corners or Cock and Bull - they definitely sound more familiar.

It was a right pokey place.
agree, ive been banned from much better places.
Old 30-07-2010, 14:02   #84
Senior Member+

The ex Landlord from Corners, Joe McGuiness still lives on Burnley Road, he used to have the Great Eastern in later years. Think he still goes in Brooks Club and Sydney Steet Club, i've bumped into him in Benidorm too!

Best Regards - Taggy

Last edited by Taggy; 30-07-2010 at 14:07.
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2010, 17:25   #85
Resting in Peace

Quote:
agree, ive been banned from much better places.
Ya mean ya sometimes came up Ossy
Old 30-07-2010, 18:20   #86
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Ya mean ya sometimes came up Ossy
Yep but only managed to get banned from the Horseshoe on Union rd, seems the landlords up yon, would put up wi owt, just to earn a crust.
Old 30-07-2010, 18:41   #87
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Yep but only managed to get banned from the Horseshoe on Union rd, seems the landlords up yon, would put up wi owt, just to earn a crust.
Might have a point the always served me
Old 30-07-2010, 18:56   #88
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Might have a point the always served me
He must have desperate for trade.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 22:51   #89
Senior Member+

For Lancsdave. I knew somewhere Owd Bert had let me have one of his old photos, think this is showing the corner of the pub, now boarded up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WaterMelbourneSt.jpg (101.0 KB, 43 views)
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2010, 23:14   #90
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
For Lancsdave. I knew somewhere Owd Bert had let me have one of his old photos, think this is showing the corner of the pub, now boarded up.
Thats the corner of Water street/Melbourne St, Atarah, the old house at home was other end of the little block on Melbourne St, the gable was on the back alley. think that was the bit after when name changed n it was extended. P.S. if Jeff, Bernard Dawson, or Taggy, sees this, am sure they can verify.

Last edited by cashman; 31-07-2010 at 23:16.
cashman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..