Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2012, 21:10   #1
spw

Posy Poser

Any ideas about what this photograph may commemorate? Accrington man, dressed to kill, bearing flowers. It was probably taken around 1910.

I believe that the clean shaven young man, back right, was a cousin of my grandfather. He was born in 1889 and was a Joiner.

In 1901 Census, a Charles Haworth, born Padiham 1870 is living at 190 Bold Street, wife Sarah A. He is a Machine Joiner.
In 1911 Census, Charles Howarth, born Padiham 1869 is living at 41 Owen Street, wife Sarah Ann, some same children. He is a Machine Joiner in an Iron Foundry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg posy_poser.jpeg (433.6 KB, 76 views)
spw is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2012, 21:15   #2
Resting In Peace

Re: Posy Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spw View Post
Any ideas about what this photograph may commemorate? Accrington man, dressed to kill, bearing flowers. It was probably taken around 1910.

I believe that the clean shaven young man, back right, was a cousin of my grandfather. He was born in 1889 and was a Joiner.

In 1901 Census, a Charles Haworth, born Padiham 1870 is living at 190 Bold Street, wife Sarah A. He is a Machine Joiner.
In 1911 Census, Charles Howarth, born Padiham 1869 is living at 41 Owen Street, wife Sarah Ann, some same children. He is a Machine Joiner in an Iron Foundry.
Would probably help if we could identify the building in the photograph.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:09   #3
Resting in Peace

Well it says Bold Street on the photo, if those men didn't have posy's of flowers, I would have thought it could have been a ride out from Bold Street WMC
Old 23-05-2012, 10:27   #4
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Well it says Bold Street on the photo, if those men didn't have posy's of flowers, I would have thought it could have been a ride out from Bold Street WMC
Bold St is the address of the photographer who took it

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 11:36   #5
I am Banned

Quote:

The quality of the photo suggests it was a pretty expensive camera back in those days, not something you would expect to be owned by a joiner.
In the 1911 census 190 Bold St is occupied by Albert Westwell & his wife Elizabeth.
That leaves us guessing at what date the picture was taken. Could he be using an old stock of paper with his address on, or was the photo taken much earlier in the late 1800's.
Retlaw.

Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2012, 22:12   #6
spw

The relative referred to is Harry Haworth who was born in 1889. Photo attached is cut from a photograph of him and his wife Ruth who were married in 1915. I’m pretty certain it’s the same man in the group. In 1911 he was living at 36 Church Lane Clayton Le Moors. He was actually a labourer for a joiner. Given his age, 1910ish seemed a reasonable estimate
Charles Howarth’s wife’s occupation is described as aerographist (air brusher) in a Christmas card factory. Perhaps she had access to a good camera. Perhaps a photography business had come and gone between 1901 and 1911. Or even a joinery business.
Unfortunately the right hand edge of the backing card looks like it has been cut off. Maybe that had more information.
A trawl of the advertisements in the Observer at some time in the future may reveal more.
It would be amazing if someone were to recognise a member of the group from other photographs.
I had wondered if old stock might be involved and if there might be a connection with the 1911 coronation or the 1913 royal visit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Harry_Haworth.jpg (11.8 KB, 7 views)
Old 24-05-2012, 21:21   #7
spw

Found this reference on National Archives site:
"Photograph of the Rev Canon John Rogers taken on Saturday the 25th of May 1912 standing figure."
Copyright owner and author of work: Charles Howarth, 41 Owen Street, Accrington, Lancashire.
Form completed 31 May 1912. Registration stamp: 1 June 1912.
Old 24-05-2012, 21:31   #8
Resting In Peace

It's obviously a very relaxed group of men and some of them are quite flashily dressed - especially the neckties. The men on the extreme left and right of the picture look like real characters. Still can't imagine what was the reason for this gathering.

Just noticed on closer inspection - I think the chap seated in the middle of the front row is holding a concertina on his knee.

Last edited by susie123; 24-05-2012 at 21:33.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 21:52   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
The relative referred to is Harry Haworth who was born in 1889. Photo attached is cut from a photograph of him and his wife Ruth who were married in 1915. I’m pretty certain it’s the same man in the group. In 1911 he was living at 36 Church Lane Clayton Le Moors. He was actually a labourer for a joiner. Given his age, 1910ish seemed a reasonable estimate
Charles Howarth’s wife’s occupation is described as aerographist (air brusher) in a Christmas card factory. Perhaps she had access to a good camera. Perhaps a photography business had come and gone between 1901 and 1911. Or even a joinery business.
Unfortunately the right hand edge of the backing card looks like it has been cut off. Maybe that had more information.
A trawl of the advertisements in the Observer at some time in the future may reveal more.
It would be amazing if someone were to recognise a member of the group from other photographs.
I had wondered if old stock might be involved and if there might be a connection with the 1911 coronation or the 1913 royal visit.
I don't think his wife would have been able to borrow a camera of that quality from a place she worked. Not only a camera but a dark room, and an enlarger, and all the chemicals related to developing the plates, then printing them on his own named paper, he must have been creating a lot of prints to be able to afford that paper. Not some back street one off merchant, and not part time either, why he refers to hmself a a joiner in the census returns beats me, when its evident he has a photography buisness.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 24-05-2012 at 21:59.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2012, 22:38   #10
Resting In Peace

Now wearing my architectural historian's hat, it's possible/likely that the building in the photo is a pub. If these men were out on a jolly, it coud be in the Ribble Valley or somewhere similar.

If the pub is still in existence today it probably hasn't now got the wooden porch, but the window in the picture is quite distinctive. There woud have been another light to the window out of shot to the left to make it symmetrical, so it would have had three lights and two stone mullions. The middle light was two panes wide and the side lights each one pane wide.
Old 25-05-2012, 06:21   #11
Senior Member+

Forgive my strange response, but I feel "I know" one of the gentlemen in the photo. He looks so familiar, so much so, I have printed the photo off, put it in my bag, and if I ever see this guy in town, I am going to ask him could it be his grandfather, or even great grandfather on the photo. He is standing at the far left of the photo. The guy I know has the surname Dickinson.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 17:29   #12
Resting In Peace

This is very frustrating. I find this picture fascinating and could look at it for hours, but can't get any nearer to what it's about.

I love looking at the clothes and the hats, and the different faces, and the wonderful array of moustaches. Love the little man seated in the second row, pebble glasses, big moustache, flat cap and protruding ears!
Old 25-05-2012, 19:38   #13

Could it have been the male members of a wedding party? One of them is holding a posy.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 19:40   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
Could it have been the male members of a wedding party? One of them is holding a posy.
In fact three of them are.
annesingleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 19:47   #15
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by annesingleton View Post
I had thought of that, and wondered if the young man at the front withe straw boater were the bridegroom. But why would three men be carrying posies? Isn't that usually left to the women? and the man seated in the middle of the front row has a concertina - not sure he would take that to a wedding, more likely to the festivities afterwards - unless this was afterwards - but why would they still have the posies?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..