Thread: Posy Poser
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2012, 21:52   #9
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Posy Poser

Quote:
Originally Posted by spw View Post
The relative referred to is Harry Haworth who was born in 1889. Photo attached is cut from a photograph of him and his wife Ruth who were married in 1915. I’m pretty certain it’s the same man in the group. In 1911 he was living at 36 Church Lane Clayton Le Moors. He was actually a labourer for a joiner. Given his age, 1910ish seemed a reasonable estimate
Charles Howarth’s wife’s occupation is described as aerographist (air brusher) in a Christmas card factory. Perhaps she had access to a good camera. Perhaps a photography business had come and gone between 1901 and 1911. Or even a joinery business.
Unfortunately the right hand edge of the backing card looks like it has been cut off. Maybe that had more information.
A trawl of the advertisements in the Observer at some time in the future may reveal more.
It would be amazing if someone were to recognise a member of the group from other photographs.
I had wondered if old stock might be involved and if there might be a connection with the 1911 coronation or the 1913 royal visit.
I don't think his wife would have been able to borrow a camera of that quality from a place she worked. Not only a camera but a dark room, and an enlarger, and all the chemicals related to developing the plates, then printing them on his own named paper, he must have been creating a lot of prints to be able to afford that paper. Not some back street one off merchant, and not part time either, why he refers to hmself a a joiner in the census returns beats me, when its evident he has a photography buisness.
Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 24-05-2012 at 21:59.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote