Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 27-11-2004, 13:27   #1
God Member

Puzzle 8

Here is a locally important memorial. The colour might be a give away, sort of.
There are four people buried here, but only one of them need concern us at the moment.
Hundreds of people attended the interment.
Whose grave is it?

The right name will win you...

1000 MONEY!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image29.jpg (90.6 KB, 77 views)
Old 04-12-2004, 09:35   #2
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!
Re: Puzzle 8

I've not been up there but I've been told it might be Robert Wigglesworth the first curator of Accrington Museum.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:45   #3
God Member

Sadly not, the occupant might be considered a tad more important than the estimable Mr Wigglesworth.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:53   #4
Accy Red

Ok second guess is the first mayor of Accrington?

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 04-12-2004, 09:56   #5
Accy Red

John Emanuel Lightfoot?

Old 04-12-2004, 10:21   #6
God Member

Was he not buried in the graveyard of Union Street Chapel?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:25   #7
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acrylic-bob
Was he not buried in the graveyard of Union Street Chapel?
Not anymore in 1964 they moved the remains of 780 bodies upto Accrington Cemetery.
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=3124

Old 05-12-2004, 19:52   #8
God Member

Without wanting to sound morbid or ghoulish, do you know if they were they reburied separately, or in a mass grave?
Old 07-12-2004, 15:22   #9
Accy Red

It's Frederick Steiner who was a factory owner amongst other things, so I presume that's why there was a lot of people attending his funeral.
Thanks to my mum who went to Accrington Cemetry for me, show me the money or Ackers Bob.

Old 07-12-2004, 15:23   #10
Accy Red

Frederick (or Friedrich) Steiner. Letters patent from Queen Victoria under the Great Seal respecting an invention 'for a new manufacture of a certain colouring matter commonly called Garancine', granted 22 August 1843. Steiner's address is given as Hyndburn Cottage, near Accrington, Lancashire.

Old 07-12-2004, 15:28   #11
Resident Waffler

Is this why we have Steiner Street?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 16:40   #12
God Member

Correct!

Bagpuss's mum got it exactly right. Well done!

Frederick Steiner who died in 1869 was responsible for the development of Church Bank Works, the site now occupied by Express Gifts. He made a massive amount of money and purchased Hyndburn House from the Peel family. Many of the streets around the Hyndburn Park area are named after Steiner family members. Lina Street, Emma Street, Tremellon Street (named after his Solicitor). Countess Street was named for his younger daughter who married into the French aristocracy and became the Comtesse de Jaucourt. Hartmann Street was named after his eldest daughter who became a mistress of Edward VII.

Steiner developed a unique way of printing cloth with Turkey Red dye using bleaching as part of the process. At it's height the company he founded was printing 39,500 miles of fabric a year.

I am intrigued by the 1843 patent for garancine, which was originally developed by the French chemist Hubert and used to dye the cloth for French army uniform trousers. F. A. Gatty was also involved in developing the use of garancine and supplied the British army.

Last edited by Acrylic-bob; 07-12-2004 at 16:55.
Acrylic-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 16:50   #13
Resident Waffler

Accrington has a fascinating amount of history. We should have an episode of "Local Heroes" based around here.

How old was he when he died, do you know? I'm off to see if I can find out more about him. My late uncle would have known something about the bleach/dying process as that was his line.

Old 07-12-2004, 16:56   #14
God Member

According to my notes Frederick Steiner was born in 1788 and died in November 1869 aged 82.
Old 07-12-2004, 17:02   #15
Resident Waffler

I just found out he was a friend of John Mercer of Clayton le Moors and was photographed by him. Experimenting in photography was one of Mr. Mercer's hobbies when he wasn't inventing mercerisation.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..