Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2009, 11:45   #76

Re: The Coppice

anyway....

can someone tell me where the nearest pill boxes are to us, I have tried many times to try and find some local sites, but they seem mainly to been built down south .
interested likes this.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-05-2009, 12:14   #77
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
You people should listen too yourselves!!! I'm going to leave bad Karma care to join me, is this you personal site?? New comer? What, you have a little gang that meets on a Wednesday or something? People you can write and do what you want, I will try to get by with my bad karma. Oh and Renlaw, try and leave something a little more adult when you leave comments!! Next please
Your making it very plain to every one that your name is both feet, every time you open your gob you put both feet in it, who the hell do you think you are Adolf Hitler, only your opinion counts,

Best thing for you is to try your local slaughter house, they must have plenty of brains lying around which would work better than the one you already have.

Even better would be a sheep brain, then you would be able to baa all day.

Children should be seen and not heard.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 12:51   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by odders View Post
anyway....

can someone tell me where the nearest pill boxes are to us, I have tried many times to try and find some local sites, but they seem mainly to been built down south .
There are a couple over Salmesbury way but they're on private land I think so access may not be possible. There's one near Turton and another between Rochdale and Heywood. There's also a couple near Nelson and Brierfield but dunno where exactly.

Try this site UK Pillbox, Pillboxes, Bunkers, Anti-tank traps and other Anti-Invasion Defences built in World War 2

churchman phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2009, 16:20   #79
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdm27 View Post
You people should listen too yourselves!!! I'm going to leave bad Karma care to join me, is this you personal site?? New comer? What, you have a little gang that meets on a Wednesday or something? People you can write and do what you want, I will try to get by with my bad karma. Oh and Renew, try and leave something a little more adult when you leave comments!! Next please
More adult with your first post on the subject shows you've got to come a long way to attain that yourself, my advice is stick to sites near Portsmouth they'll probable suit the uncouthed manner you have used to a well respected gentleman on OUR site
Old 01-03-2012, 15:31   #80

Has anyone got any info on how the name "coppice" or "the coppice" came about?

I realise that on the face of it that sounds like a stupid question, but hear me out The word coppice normally refers to a managed wooded area - however, I was reading something the other day that suggested the name was in use well before the current lot of trees were planted.

A place called Coppice without any trees seems very odd, or am I missing something? Can anyone shed any light on this?
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 15:50   #81
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
Has anyone got any info on how the name "coppice" or "the coppice" came about?

I realise that on the face of it that sounds like a stupid question, but hear me out The word coppice normally refers to a managed wooded area - however, I was reading something the other day that suggested the name was in use well before the current lot of trees were planted.

A place called Coppice without any trees seems very odd, or am I missing something? Can anyone shed any light on this?
Was discussed in the last few pages of this thread.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ice-59646.html

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 19:27   #82
Resting In Peace

Crikey that does make me feel old. I can remember calling it the Coppice long before those trees were planted.

But then you're only a slip of a lad, Pudwoppa, you wouldn't remember that far back...
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 21:33   #83
I am Banned

There is no mention of a Coppice in early documents, this is one from the Coucher book of Kirkstall Abbey, its one of the oldest relating to Accrington, dated 1190, several names are still in use today. The boundary's are very close to the present day Accrington
Retlaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Coucher 1190.a.jpg (136.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 01-03-2012 at 21:35.
Old 01-03-2012, 21:43   #84
Full Member+

Looks interesting, have you got a translation?
steve2qec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 22:21   #85
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Ask the council Steve,they renamed us Hyndburn.......seems they couldn't even spell it right.
Old 01-03-2012, 22:52   #86
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Ask the council Steve,they renamed us Hyndburn.......seems they couldn't even spell it right.
They can't spell Huncoyte reight aythur.
Its Huncote not Huncoat. Who ever spelt it as Huncoat wants gelding.
As for Hindeburn thats self explanitory

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 01-03-2012 at 22:55.
Old 01-03-2012, 23:58   #87
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve2qec View Post
Just a bunch of stuff about Robert de Laci and his old lady, Isobel. with conventional comments about God and Real Estate ... it's only Latin ... maybe medieval clerical Latin, which would explain some of the weird constructions that would have got me in trouble in Latin class if I had come up with them. My Latin is a little rusty ... and right now I don't have the time to come up with a coherent translation, even though documents like this tend to be pretty formulaic.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 00:04   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
Was discussed in the last few pages of this thread.

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...ice-59646.html
The link to Roy's Huncoat site makes for interesting reading. The mention of photographs in 1848 of the coppice seems very early... may have to enquire about those. I thought photography was very rare in the area at this point (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ).

The earlier date of the name and the material I was reading make sense together if the area was used for coppicing earlier than the twentieth century - that's what I was looking for - thanks. The population boom at that time could explain why it disappeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
But then you're only a slip of a lad, Pudwoppa, you wouldn't remember that far back...
Tis true; my childhood was spent playing 'manhunt' and building dens in those trees. Glad it wasn't bare slopes to be honest - 'run up and down the hill' as a game would have worn thin with me I think
Pudwoppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:30   #89
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudwoppa View Post
The link to Roy's Huncoat site makes for interesting reading. The mention of photographs in 1848 of the coppice seems very early... may have to enquire about those. I thought photography was very rare in the area at this point (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong ).
By the 1840's photography wasn't uncommon.

We've got family portrait photographs dating from that decade.

It is rarer to have landscape photographs from that period.

I've no doubt the details on the site are correct, they usually are, especially dating the photograph to a specific year.

I'd love to see it.

Has anyone on here seen it, or knows where it is?

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:44   #90
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just a bunch of stuff about Robert de Laci and his old lady, Isobel. with conventional comments about God and Real Estate ... it's only Latin ... maybe medieval clerical Latin, which would explain some of the weird constructions that would have got me in trouble in Latin class if I had come up with them. My Latin is a little rusty ... and right now I don't have the time to come up with a coherent translation, even though documents like this tend to be pretty formulaic.
Your right about the latin bit Eric, there are some 4 or 5 documents relating to Accrington in the Coucher Book of Kirkstall, when I was translating them, I couldn't find some of the words in any latin dictionary, met a high ranking Catholic, who said some of the words were church Latin, usually found in ancient Roman Catholic Church documents, he interpreted those words for me.
Retlaw.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..