Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-02-2012, 18:24   #1
ktb
Junior Member+

Snooker - the riley championship

I've attached an old family photo (c.1925-30...? - of my maternal grandfather - Tom Wells, back 1st left) in the hope that someone may just be able to date it a little more precisely than I can...? Also, someone may be able to tell me a bit more about The Riley Championship &/or Snooker in Accrington back in the good old days! I'm related to 3 in the photo, but don't know who the remaining chaps are.
Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
KTB
ktb is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-02-2012, 18:30   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Snooker - the riley championship

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktb View Post
I've attached an old family photo (c.1925-30...? - of my maternal grandfather - Tom Wells, back 1st left) in the hope that someone may just be able to date it a little more precisely than I can...? Also, someone may be able to tell me a bit more about The Riley Championship &/or Snooker in Accrington back in the good old days! I'm related to 3 in the photo, but don't know who the remaining chaps are.
Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks.
KTB
My father played Snooker and Billiards back in those days, he had a lot of photos taken when he was playing started in the leagues in 1934 at the age of 14, looking at the one you posted some of the faces do look familiar, maybe they were in some of my father photos too
Old 26-02-2012, 19:35   #3
Junior Member+

The Riley Shield was played for in the Sunday school league, my husband Colin Wood played for Springhill Methodist on Richmond rd, as did his father and grandad. In later years the forties up to the seventies Springhill used to win most snooker/billiards competitions. We have a picture from about 1949-50 with the team on. The Riley shield was a competition for single players and my husband won it two or three times.

Last edited by christine wood; 26-02-2012 at 19:37. Reason: mistakes
christine wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2012, 14:42   #4
Senior Member+

The main competition was the Observer Cup - originally for billiards and then for snooker.
I believe that the original cup was won by the same person for the first three years of the competition by Frank Hoyle, who was presented with the cup after which he retired. The competition changed to snooker and he came out of retirement to win it again 3 times in succession.
The original cup was donated back to the Observer as the Hoyle Cup for the best newcomer in the competion every year.
I would very much like to trace the location of it now in order that it could be used to encourage youth sport in the town.
Old 27-02-2012, 15:45   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Used to go regular to the Observer Cup Final, at the owd Drill Hall, Seem to recall Bernard Houlahan winning one year.?
Old 27-02-2012, 18:16   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Used to go regular to the Observer Cup Final, at the owd Drill Hall, Seem to recall Bernard Houlahan winning one year.?
Good lad was Bernard worked with him at Shopfitters and we played in the works snooker team as Ossy Con "B" in the early 70s

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..