Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Old Accrington > Heritage and History
Donate! Join Today

Heritage and History A place to discuss the history of our local area.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-05-2014, 19:54   #16
Junior Member+

Re: wanted any e j riley

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj1954 View Post
I have a very old hockey stick with the makers stamp E J Riley Ltd Accrington. All the research I have tried has given me no info at all. I wonder if you have any info -- I could e-mail photos if that would help.
Many thanks, Patrick Johnson
Hi there
I do have some information on the hockey stick
from old advertising.
My email address is grahamtilley@live
.co.uk
please send pics.
e j riley collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-07-2014, 20:28   #17

My sister in law has a 6' slate bed snooker table in need of restoration. My late brother bought it in the late 50's prbably from EJ Rileys.
Karateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 17:13   #18

Hi Graham
I am an ex-Accringtonian now living in Poole and have just come into possession of an E.J.Riley tennis racket from the Victorian or possibly Edwardian era and was wondering if you had any information about the tennis rackets that the company produced at that time and also where tennis was being played in Accrington around this period. Any other info on tennis in the town would be much appreciated. Many thanks Peter (Livesey)
Pete Livesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 19:38   #19
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Livesey View Post
Hi Graham
I am an ex-Accringtonian now living in Poole and have just come into possession of an E.J.Riley tennis racket from the Victorian or possibly Edwardian era and was wondering if you had any information about the tennis rackets that the company produced at that time and also where tennis was being played in Accrington around this period. Any other info on tennis in the town would be much appreciated. Many thanks Peter (Livesey)
I cannot find my copy of 'An Accrington Mixture' which I edited and published some years ago but I do recall that it has an essay about EJs in it. I cannot answer your questions about where tennis was played in the years before we had public parks, but do know that there was a private club in Moss Hall Rd area quite early

Because I suspect that you attended Accrington Grammar School, I am sending you, PMT, a private message (PM) about the Old Boys
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 19:48   #20
Full Member+

Interesting feature. I bought a model of a, E.J. Riley truck because it had a Bedford engine and my other half worked on them. My dad told of being fired by them before he even started work in Jan 1930 when he was 14 yrs old. They gave him a job on a Friday and on the Monday morning when he turned up they said there was no job for him. Over the weekend they had found out his father was President of the Accrington and District Miners Federation and E.J. Rileys was a non union place.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2016, 23:01   #21

Question Re: wanted any e j riley

I recently found a "3/4 EJ Riley Snooker Table" in my father's collection of stuff. I was told that he acquired in in the late 1950's from a castle somewhere in England. It has been broken down to prepare it for restoration, but nothing has been done to it so far. It has the full piece of slate, undamaged and the five sections of wood that convert it to a dining table. The felt is bad, the net pockets need replacing and the rubber guards need replacing. All the hardware is with it though. How do I find out it's current value and if anyone might be interested in acquiring it? The metal plate is stamped with E.J. Riley LTD Accrington, serial # A64941. Can you point me in the right direction for history? Thank you!
tlmoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2016, 14:59   #22
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmoss View Post
I recently found a "3/4 EJ Riley Snooker Table" in my father's collection of stuff. I was told that he acquired in in the late 1950's from a castle somewhere in England. It has been broken down to prepare it for restoration, but nothing has been done to it so far. It has the full piece of slate, undamaged and the five sections of wood that convert it to a dining table. The felt is bad, the net pockets need replacing and the rubber guards need replacing. All the hardware is with it though. How do I find out it's current value and if anyone might be interested in acquiring it? The metal plate is stamped with E.J. Riley LTD Accrington, serial # A64941. Can you point me in the right direction for history? Thank you!
I'm not able to provide any history except that my grandfather probably had a hand in making said table. He worked for E.J. Riley for many years constructing tables. I have his spirit level and also a lamp base of all things[ made from a snooker table leg] which was a wedding present for my mum and dad way back in the forties.
daisybeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 00:53   #23

I have a scoreboard,probably pre 1920 needs some TLC but complete. mail me at [email protected] if you're interested.
Thanks
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..