Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accrington Forum News (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f62/)
-   -   Allotment rents up AGAIN (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f62/allotment-rents-up-again-69713.html)

Big Dave 08-12-2017 15:27

Allotment rents up AGAIN

Bloody labour council just 2 weeks before raising allotment rents(again) they have now sent a further letter saying hat they are raising them again January 2019.When this crew came in 5/6 years ago ? I was paying £39.40
which is what I paid for years when nearly every plot was occupied , from Jan 2018 it will be £74.91 and from 2019 £84.28.this council apart from putting barriers to stop fly tippers have done nothing ,the paths are flooded,acces paths are hardly navigable in a car and tenants are leaving. every morning I am seeing abandoned plots.This money is not being used for the benefit of tenants at least not for Heys site in in Oswaldtwistle .I well remember the town hall meeting when the leader sat there and never said a word.Waste of space the lot of them

Neil 08-12-2017 17:16

Re: Allotment rents up AGAIN

£84.28 is only £1.62 a week, not a lot of money for a hobby. There are about 100 plots at Heys so HBC gets about £8,500. How much do you think it would cost to repair the paths and put in drainage? It probably costs HBC more than £8500 to clear fly-tipping each year.

As for cars driving up there those paths are bridleways and public footpaths so you probably shouldn't be taking your car on them.

RainbowSix 08-12-2017 17:31

I thought there were generally long ques for allotment plots?
If they are abandoned then surely there must be some that would like to take them on?

Perhaps others that consider under £100 for a year good value, its about what Ill be paying if I get a xbox1 game and all the other bits needed to play it multiplayer. Except I dont get to eat my game :)

Big Dave 08-12-2017 18:07

My plot is 200 yards from car parking,I am70 a bag of corn is half hundred weight that's why car access is needed.the point is rents keep going up conditions get worse.a 3rd of mine floods through leaking drains every time it rains.

cashman 10-12-2017 13:29

Its obvious yeh need a car to access with a bag of corn Dave, unless yer mentally challenged and cant see that fact.:rolleyes: Perhaps Rainbow6 should give oer thinking, could harm him:D we bought ours the other year the owner was selling hers off, at least 2 on our row (ours included) had been empty for years ours 10 years we were told.

RainbowSix 10-12-2017 16:23

Actually its not obvious, Dave had not said he was over 70 until AFTER I had posted.
And my post has nothing to do with car access.

It's Neil that said:
Quote:

As for cars driving up there those paths are bridleways and public footpaths so you probably shouldn't be taking your car on them.
not me.

If so many plots are becoming abandoned, then there will be grounds for the council to wind up the allotments due to disuse. IF there are empty ones, whats to stop anyone using them without paying HBC?

cashman 10-12-2017 17:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1205598)
Actually its not obvious, Dave had not said he was over 70 until AFTER I had posted.
And my post has nothing to do with car access.

It's Neil that said: not me.

If so many plots are becoming abandoned, then there will be grounds for the council to wind up the allotments due to disuse. IF there are empty ones, whats to stop anyone using them without paying HBC?

I was talking to Dave, when i said its obvious,I said you should give oer thinking,if yeh think theres a big queue for allotments,and i highlighted that fact when i said we bought ours a couple of years ago, also said a lady was selling them off as some had been empty for years. also i'm well aware neil mentioned car access, theres also quite a good few allotments privately owned not by HBC, but you seem to know it all.:rolleyes:

RainbowSix 11-12-2017 05:50

why do I seem to know it all?
wtf have I said that gives that impression?

where did privately owned allotments come into the discussion? this thread is about HBC owned ones as they have put the rent up.
your just making things up now.

Stop being an ass and read the Op.

cashman 11-12-2017 10:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RainbowSix (Post 1205605)
why do I seem to know it all?
wtf have I said that gives that impression?

where did privately owned allotments come into the discussion? this thread is about HBC owned ones as they have put the rent up.
your just making things up now.

Stop being an ass and read the Op.

people can judge why you know it all, if yeh dont i'm sure someone will tell me.:rolleyes:

Big Dave 14-12-2017 14:14

All I ask is that if rents keep going up year on year which they have since current council took over is at least maintain them.I know they have put up vehicle barriers (they also charged us £5 each for a key to access) but drainage and maintenance have not been carried out.They recently dug a culvert to take more water but now the rainwater on the path cant get away. due too the spoil dug out but they wont know that as they never check.

Barrie Yates 15-12-2017 16:00

On another local site people were complaining that they could not get an allotment. They had been on a waiting list for a long time, yet many allotments are untended but remain allocated.

Neil 16-12-2017 14:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrie Yates (Post 1205774)
On another local site people were complaining that they could not get an allotment. They had been on a waiting list for a long time, yet many allotments are untended but remain allocated.

Maybe there is a process the allotment manager has to go through to take an allotment from someone and lease it to someone else.

Less 16-12-2017 16:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil (Post 1205837)
Maybe there is a process the allotment manager has to go through to take an allotment from someone and lease it to someone else.

I think you mean it's probably as difficult to evict from an allotment just as it's difficult for a landlord to reclaim his house from a scum bag that doesn't pay rent on it?

Neil 16-12-2017 19:33

Maybe but HBC did take some back a couple or so years ago