Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > Forum News > Accrington Forum News
Donate! Join Today

Accrington Forum News Read about the latest happenings on our site.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2017, 16:27   #1

Allotment rents up AGAIN

Bloody labour council just 2 weeks before raising allotment rents(again) they have now sent a further letter saying hat they are raising them again January 2019.When this crew came in 5/6 years ago ? I was paying £39.40
which is what I paid for years when nearly every plot was occupied , from Jan 2018 it will be £74.91 and from 2019 £84.28.this council apart from putting barriers to stop fly tippers have done nothing ,the paths are flooded,acces paths are hardly navigable in a car and tenants are leaving. every morning I am seeing abandoned plots.This money is not being used for the benefit of tenants at least not for Heys site in in Oswaldtwistle .I well remember the town hall meeting when the leader sat there and never said a word.Waste of space the lot of them
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-12-2017, 18:16   #2
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Allotment rents up AGAIN

£84.28 is only £1.62 a week, not a lot of money for a hobby. There are about 100 plots at Heys so HBC gets about £8,500. How much do you think it would cost to repair the paths and put in drainage? It probably costs HBC more than £8500 to clear fly-tipping each year.

As for cars driving up there those paths are bridleways and public footpaths so you probably shouldn't be taking your car on them.
Old 08-12-2017, 18:31   #3

I thought there were generally long ques for allotment plots?
If they are abandoned then surely there must be some that would like to take them on?

Perhaps others that consider under £100 for a year good value, its about what Ill be paying if I get a xbox1 game and all the other bits needed to play it multiplayer. Except I dont get to eat my game
RainbowSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 19:07   #4

My plot is 200 yards from car parking,I am70 a bag of corn is half hundred weight that's why car access is needed.the point is rents keep going up conditions get worse.a 3rd of mine floods through leaking drains every time it rains.
Old 10-12-2017, 14:29   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Its obvious yeh need a car to access with a bag of corn Dave, unless yer mentally challenged and cant see that fact. Perhaps Rainbow6 should give oer thinking, could harm him we bought ours the other year the owner was selling hers off, at least 2 on our row (ours included) had been empty for years ours 10 years we were told.
Old 10-12-2017, 17:23   #6

Actually its not obvious, Dave had not said he was over 70 until AFTER I had posted.
And my post has nothing to do with car access.

It's Neil that said:
Quote:
As for cars driving up there those paths are bridleways and public footpaths so you probably shouldn't be taking your car on them.
not me.

If so many plots are becoming abandoned, then there will be grounds for the council to wind up the allotments due to disuse. IF there are empty ones, whats to stop anyone using them without paying HBC?
Old 10-12-2017, 18:23   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
Actually its not obvious, Dave had not said he was over 70 until AFTER I had posted.
And my post has nothing to do with car access.

It's Neil that said: not me.

If so many plots are becoming abandoned, then there will be grounds for the council to wind up the allotments due to disuse. IF there are empty ones, whats to stop anyone using them without paying HBC?
I was talking to Dave, when i said its obvious,I said you should give oer thinking,if yeh think theres a big queue for allotments,and i highlighted that fact when i said we bought ours a couple of years ago, also said a lady was selling them off as some had been empty for years. also i'm well aware neil mentioned car access, theres also quite a good few allotments privately owned not by HBC, but you seem to know it all.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:50   #8

why do I seem to know it all?
wtf have I said that gives that impression?

where did privately owned allotments come into the discussion? this thread is about HBC owned ones as they have put the rent up.
your just making things up now.

Stop being an ass and read the Op.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:36   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowSix View Post
why do I seem to know it all?
wtf have I said that gives that impression?

where did privately owned allotments come into the discussion? this thread is about HBC owned ones as they have put the rent up.
your just making things up now.

Stop being an ass and read the Op.
people can judge why you know it all, if yeh dont i'm sure someone will tell me.
Old 14-12-2017, 15:14   #10

All I ask is that if rents keep going up year on year which they have since current council took over is at least maintain them.I know they have put up vehicle barriers (they also charged us £5 each for a key to access) but drainage and maintenance have not been carried out.They recently dug a culvert to take more water but now the rainwater on the path cant get away. due too the spoil dug out but they wont know that as they never check.
Old 15-12-2017, 17:00   #11
Senior Member+

On another local site people were complaining that they could not get an allotment. They had been on a waiting list for a long time, yet many allotments are untended but remain allocated.
Old 16-12-2017, 15:37   #12
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
On another local site people were complaining that they could not get an allotment. They had been on a waiting list for a long time, yet many allotments are untended but remain allocated.
Maybe there is a process the allotment manager has to go through to take an allotment from someone and lease it to someone else.
Old 16-12-2017, 17:02   #13
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Maybe there is a process the allotment manager has to go through to take an allotment from someone and lease it to someone else.
I think you mean it's probably as difficult to evict from an allotment just as it's difficult for a landlord to reclaim his house from a scum bag that doesn't pay rent on it?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 20:33   #14
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Maybe but HBC did take some back a couple or so years ago

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..