Accrington Web

Accrington Web (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/index.php)
-   Questions and Answers (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/)
-   -   Clarks of Broad Oak Farm (https://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f66/clarks-of-broad-oak-farm-65537.html)

Morecambe Ex Pat 05-01-2014 17:32

Clarks of Broad Oak Farm

I am looking into my wife's family tree and I would like to pick the brains of local historians.

Her Grandma can be traced to Broad Oak Farm pre 1920 but I am not sure if the farm pre dates the building of the Broad Oak print works as the dates are a little confused.

It is early days in this thread of the research but any information or pointers would be gratefully received.

Bob Dobson 06-01-2014 08:42

Re: Clarks of Broad Oak Farm

A quick answer, Pat - the 'new' factory was built on farm land. The farm would most likely be there before the factory, and probably gave its name to the factory. Broad Oak gets several mentions in the index of 'Old Homesteads of Accrington' but I haven't time to look. In the library is an index/list of al of Accrington's farms. It was compiled by Retlaw, so we may be hearing from him soon

Morecambe Ex Pat 06-01-2014 19:17

Thanks Bob
We are aware of much of the history but we have a few specific questions to find the answers to, mostly to do with specific dates which don't correlate. I am told that the old pig sty of Broad Oak Farm is still visible, if you know where to look.

What is the truth about the book 'Old Homesteads', I have read that there are quite a few inaccuracies in there. Is this true or is there some sort of tit for tat game going on there.

We are in the process of putting names to faces of just under 1000 photos which were discovered in a loft in Rising Bridge. All family connected but some of the older ones are proving a problem to ID. We are in touch with several local forums and will make the photos public once we have scanned them all in. It would be much easier if we only had this to do but unfortunately, the day jobs get in the way.

Retlaw 06-01-2014 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dobson (Post 1089614)
A quick answer, Pat - the 'new' factory was built on farm land. The farm would most likely be there before the factory, and probably gave its name to the factory. Broad Oak gets several mentions in the index of 'Old Homesteads of Accrington' but I haven't time to look. In the library is an index/list of al of Accrington's farms. It was compiled by Retlaw, so we may be hearing from him soon

In the 1790 survey of New Accrington, Oak is valued at 35 pounds & 15 shillings, Broad Oak Works is not mentioned, how ever on the Broad Oak Works Estate Plan circa 1810, most of the names of the lands are the same as the 1790 Oak survey.
Broad Oak Farm was in existance for many many years and was known as a Fold, of which there were several in Accrington. A Fold is a small settlement which can be sealed of from invaders, in the olden days the Scots were regular visitors to Lancashire.

DaveinGermany 07-01-2014 05:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1089710)
in the olden days the Scots were regular visitors to Lancashire.

And even now, have a wander round Blackpool in the Summer, Porridgemunchers everywhere! :eek: :D

Retlaw 07-01-2014 11:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveinGermany (Post 1089723)
And even now, have a wander round Blackpool in the Summer, Porridgemunchers everywhere! :eek: :D

I don't particularly like blackpool and never have done.
I think the people your refering to are also known as sheep sh***rs.

Gordon Booth 07-01-2014 15:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1089749)
[B]
I think the people your referring to are also known as sheep sh***rs.

Careful, Retlaw, or you'll offend any Welsh men on here. Being friendly with sheep is their birthright, they wouldn't like sharing their sheep with a Scotsman.

Anyway,the Scots have their own pastimes- getting drunk and playing with their haggis.

Bob Dobson 07-01-2014 16:10

Another mis-spelling from Retlaw.

Gordon Booth 07-01-2014 16:24

Unlike you, Bob, I was too polite to comment. I just corrected it.

Retlaw 07-01-2014 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1089763)
Unlike you, Bob, I was too polite to comment. I just corrected it.

Both of you can get knotted

Gordon Booth 07-01-2014 16:39

Retlaw, I felt it only fair to make allowances for a man who can't tell a 'sporterised .303' from an air rifle!

Just a small point- I don't think there's such a word as 'sporterised'. I could, of course, be wrong.

Retlaw 07-01-2014 18:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1089766)
Retlaw, I felt it only fair to make allowances for a man who can't tell a 'sporterised .303' from an air rifle!

Just a small point- I don't think there's such a word as 'sporterised'. I could, of course, be wrong.

I'm sssoooo sorry for using words you don't know about, there must be several 1000's in the dictionary you don't know. I should probalby said converted for sport or game shooting, and that was no Air Rifle.
:tongueout

Morecambe Ex Pat 07-01-2014 18:49

What is wrong with sheep shearers anyway?
They do a great job in poor working conditions and we tree hugging, wool wearing friends of newts are grateful to them. I have to say that out of all the variety of newt, I am drawn towards those pistazza ones.

I have been working my way through the maps on the lancashire.gov.uk website, is this the best source for maps or are there better resources out there? I am particularly interested in the area around Rising Bridge as our quest for family knowledge has led us there.
The area to the South of Holland's pies / Paragon Mill is of particular interest. From the maps, I see there is a building, Lower Mill Cottages, was there a Lower Mill?

Gordon Booth 07-01-2014 19:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Retlaw (Post 1089782)
I'm sssoooo sorry for using words you don't know about, there must be several 1000's in the dictionary you don't know. I should probalby said converted for sport or game shooting, and that was no Air Rifle.
:tongueout

You're probalby right on both counts, Retlaw:o

Bob Dobson 07-01-2014 22:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordon Booth (Post 1089786)
You're probalby right on both counts, Retlaw:o

Booth, that's the worst possible thing to say - the old ****** will be crowing with satisfaction now.