Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Judith Addison

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2013, 07:37   #1
Senior Member+

any info on high lea house please

Hi does anyone have any information about (high lea house) the house is shown as in 1888 in this link
1888 - High Lea, Accrington, Lancashire - Architecture of Lancashire - Archiseek.com
accybeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-10-2013, 10:50   #2
Senior Member+

Re: any info on high lea house please

Is it one of the big houses on Queens Road.
Old 02-10-2013, 16:14   #3
Senior Member+

Iv'e found on mario map showing High Lea situated where Queensborough Road now stands
Old 02-10-2013, 21:35   #4

If you go to Lancashire County Council MARIO website (Maps And Related Information Online) and find 206 and 208 Whalley Road, Accrington (I think they were probably built in the 1970s), then superimpose an old Ordnance Survey map you can see "High Lea" - it was a big house in its own grounds. I don't know when it was demolished. I looked into this for a Facebook post quite a few months ago but can't find the information now. It was the home of James Cunliffe, a former Mayor of Accrington. I think he was a big benefactor to Accrington Victoria Hospital and was a local cotton manufacturer. I'm just checking the "Accrington Jubilee Souvenir" book 1878 to 1928 - I have a copy that belonged to my Dad - it's been reprinted earlier this year. I'll post again shortly when I find something.
Judith Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 21:43   #5

James Cunliffe was Mayor of Accrington from 1901-1902. In the book I've mentioned above he's included in the Group of Mayors 1878 to 1928, with a big bushy beard (page 62 of book). Page 89 about Accrington's Public Library states that when the Public Libraries Committee was appointed on 5th June 1899, Mr. James Cunliffe JP was the first Chairman. I think I have another old book of my Dad's that has more info - I'll look!
Old 02-10-2013, 21:48   #6

On second thoughts, I think the other book I looked in was in Accrington Reference Library Local History Section - something like "Captains of Industry". I should be able to search my Facebook post but can't manage it so far!
Old 02-10-2013, 22:06   #7

Brainwave - I remembered I took notes in the Library in the back of last year's diary. So, from "Accrington Chronology and Men of Mark" by R. S. Crossley of "Accrington Observer", 1924:-

Page 73 - entry for 1914 - Mr. & Mrs. James Cunliffe of "High Lea", Accrington, celebrated their Golden Wedding and presented £1,000 to Victoria Hospital and £500 to the Queen's Nursing Association. Workpeople at Broad Oak Mill presented Mr. & Mrs. Cunliffe with a gold loving cup (July 14th).

Page 78 - entry for 1921 - £3,000 for Accrington Victoria Hospital - legacies from Mr. & Mrs. James Cunliffe, formerly of "High Lea", Accrington (April 13th).

Page 106 - Cunliffe, James, JP, "High Lea", died October 25th 1916 aged 81. Henry Cunliffe left four sons and two daughters, all of whom followed their father's footsteps in engaging in good works. The eldest son, James, an active worker and a former organist of the New Church, in which he took a deep interest, directed the "New Factory" under the Hargreaves family, and later, in conjunction with his brother Robert, acquired the mill. Interested in social work he was a loyal friend of the Victoria Hospital, of which, it may be said, he was the founder, for he it was who anonymously offered £100 towards the establishment of a Cottage Hospital, in response to articles urging the need for such an institution in the "Observer and Times". From its inception he was Chairman of the Hospital Committee, and one of its most generous benefactors. For a long time he held aloof from participation in the government of the town, but was induced to enter the Council and become Mayor. "Moderate" in his political views, he was yet a staunch Free Trader and a Liberal.
Atarah likes this.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:57   #8
Senior Member+

thanks for your research Judith any info about the grounds & house itself would be appreciated when and why a house of such quality was demolished and the year it demolished and also any history of the development of the land after the demise of the house

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..