Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2012, 09:54   #631
Resting In Peace

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I haven't read Cadfael........I am put off by the TV series which had Derek Jacobi in it....I really like to picture the characters myself, and once I have seen a TV depiction, I find it difficult to overcome their characterisation...it is daft I know.
I always prefer to read the books before I see a dramatisation of the story.
Sometimes it helps me to have the TV series first - didn't read any of the Morse books until the TV series was well under way, and Derek Jacobi came along during my reading of the 20 or so Cadfael books and didn't put me off. Also only started reading the Poldark books after the TV series started. Gosh that was a long time ago! have got the series on dvd but haven't watched it yet, also got most of the Cadfael episodes and I Claudius, another Jacobi series I read after the TV outing. All those are for long dark nights in our camper van... Plus have got a box set of all the Bergerac episodes - no books to go with those I think!

I love Poirot on TV but haven't read any of the books, never read anything by Agatha Christie but also loved Joan Hickson as Miss Marple. Another TV series I loved was the Fortunes of War with Emma Thompson and Kenneth Branagh - brilliant, re-watched it recently and it was just as good as first time round, but not been tempted to read the books it was based on.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:54   #632
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
I read all the Cadfael books years ago and found it hard to get into any other medieval murder series. I do like the Chronicles of Matthew Bartholomew by Susanna Gregory set in Cambridge and the Owen Archer books by Candace Robb, set in York. These have in common with the Cadfael series that they are all set in a very recognisable place that I can identify with, and they are all medieval. I love that period.
I keep seeing the Cadfael books in the library and mean to read one - I like the TV series as well, they didn't make that many though did they? Maybe they could re-make the series.

I'm reading "Billy" the Billy Connolly biography written by his wife.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:15   #633
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
never read anything by Agatha Christie
They are a reasonable read, the great thing is usually the paperbacks are thrown into the second hand book shops junk box and can be picked up for just a few pence.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:18   #634
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I keep seeing the Cadfael books in the library and mean to read one - I like the TV series as well, they didn't make that many though did they? Maybe they could re-make the series.

I'm reading "Billy" the Billy Connolly biography written by his wife.
There are 21 Cadfael books and 13 TV episodes. I don't think a remake woud be a good idea, for me at least - I can't imagine Cadfael as anyone else but Derek Jacobi! Rather like Margaret has her own idea of people after reading books and doesn't want to see them on TV - or vice versa, having seen characters portrayed on TV, she can't read the books.
Old 06-05-2012, 13:10   #635
God Member

Quote:
The set of books was a gift from a friend who knows I like historical fiction.
If you haven't already read it Margaret I can recommend " An Instance of the Fingerpost" by Iain Pears -brilliant historical/murder mystery.

Also Holy Fools by Joanne Harris is really good -set in France early 1600's about a troupe of vagabond players also murder mystery/thriller.

Am about to start a book which a friend gave me as a gift while over in the UK: The World of Downton Abbey -the secrets and history unlocked!
Lovely photos and detail of who the characters were based on and other behind the scenes stuff and historical detail - hope it's as good as the 1st series.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 13:15   #636
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
If you haven't already read it Margaret I can recommend " An Instance of the Fingerpost" by Iain Pears -brilliant historical/murder mystery.
I read a couple of Iain Pears' books about the Italian art detective but wasn't impressed so have been steering clear of the fingerpost book - perhaps I will give it a go.

One author I have recently come across is Michele Giuttari - used to be in the Florence police force and that's what he writes about - really enjoyed his books so far.
Old 06-05-2012, 13:19   #637
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post

Also Holy Fools by Joanne Harris is really good -set in France early 1600's about a troupe of vagabond players also murder mystery/thriller.

Am about to start a book which a friend gave me as a gift while over in the UK: The World of Downton Abbey -the secrets and history unlocked!
Lovely photos and detail of who the characters were based on and other behind the scenes stuff and historical detail - hope it's as good as the 1st series.
Ooh, I will keep my eyes peeled for that one...the fingerpost one....I have just had a quick look at a taster for the Kindle and the first few pages were interesting.
I'm not fond of Joanne Harris's books...I tried reading a couple of them and failed(miserably) and I don't give up easily on books.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 13:32   #638
Beacon of light

talking about giving up on books.......I recently the read the much acclaimed Book by S.J. Watson - Before I go to Sleep. I had read lots of good reviews about it.
I read it but I can't say I enjoyed it that much. It felt like being trapped in a spiders web.

I wanted to give it up...but couldn't get out of the plot......in the end my suspicions about what had happened were correct, the end of the book was a bit of a let down for me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 13:37   #639
God Member

Quote:
Ooh, I will keep my eyes peeled for that one...the fingerpost one....I have just had a quick look at a taster for the Kindle and the first few pages were interesting.
I'm not fond of Joanne Harris's books...I tried reading a couple of them and failed(miserably) and I don't give up easily on books.
I love all Joanne Harris's books although The Red Shoes -sequel to Chocolat was a little disappointing. I think her best book is Gentlemen and Players -very clever twist in the story. (This one is not set in France)
Blackberry Wine, Five Quarters of the Orange and Coastliners are all brilliant too.

Another favourite of mine is Mary Wesley -great writer. I expect you'll have read some of hers too, if not start with "The Camomille Lawn" -was beautifully serialised on TV with Jennifer Ehle.

Another one I've just remembered which i'm sure would be up your street is "The Orchard on Fire" by Shena Mackay -my mum loved it when I lent it to her -set in the 1950's through to 80's.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 06-05-2012, 18:29   #640
Senior Member+

Quote:
There are 21 Cadfael books and 13 TV episodes. I don't think a remake woud be a good idea, for me at least - I can't imagine Cadfael as anyone else but Derek Jacobi! Rather like Margaret has her own idea of people after reading books and doesn't want to see them on TV - or vice versa, having seen characters portrayed on TV, she can't read the books.
I say they should remake them because I've watched most of them at least twice. But I'm not sure if they have shown all 13 perhaps they only show a few to get people to buy the box set?

Yeh I find it difficult to read books after seeing the films, I tried to read the first Harry Potter book but couldn't get into it after the film.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 11:16   #641
God Member

Last year i re-read all 6 Jane Austen's. My friends mother-in-law reads them every year! had a day out with her the other week in Whalley and we got talking about the wonderful BBC version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. I think it's all beautifully cast and acted -have lost count of the times I've watched it (have it on video - not DVD!). She however can't stand the actress who plays Jane as in her mind she had always imagined her as being dark and pretty, not blonde and statuary!
I've seen the Keira Knightley film version of P&P but she is not a patch on Jennife Ehle in the role of Elizabeth. I did enjoy the spoof -Lost in Austen though -very much my sense of humour

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 10-05-2012, 21:33   #642
Senior Member+

The Wind Through The Keyhole by Stephen King - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

^ currently listening to this audiobook

Oh. Is anybody on goodreads?
Old 22-05-2012, 09:50   #643
Common Sense Member

Good Morning Nantwich! by Phill Jupitus.

phill-jupitus-good-morning-nantwich.jpg

Tells the story of the creation of BBC Radio 6 and the general radio background of Mr Jupitus. For someone with a media background it is absolutely gripping stuff although I must admit to not having quite the passion for varied music that is demonstrated here. The book is written in an amusing anecdotal style and it very easy going, recommended to anyone with an interest in music radio.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 10:04   #644
Common Sense Member

The Michael Palin Diaries: 1980-1988

Palin.jpg

Second volume of Michael Palin's diaries and it takes some getting through but is interesting on every single page. As each of the Pythons become more self-established in their own right it becomes pretty apparent that talks of a movie after The Meaning of Life would never really come to anything. However, they work extensively with each other on their own films and there are more Python-flavoured movies out there than I remembered. The Python company was set up to look after their commercial interests and even by the late 80s, despite no new material to speak of, it was obviously a busy little industry.

No news of a third volume but as a diarist myself I look forward to it.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2012, 14:43   #645
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
The Michael Palin Diaries: 1980-1988

Attachment 19948

Second volume of Michael Palin's diaries and it takes some getting through but is interesting on every single page. As each of the Pythons become more self-established in their own right it becomes pretty apparent that talks of a movie after The Meaning of Life would never really come to anything. However, they work extensively with each other on their own films and there are more Python-flavoured movies out there than I remembered. The Python company was set up to look after their commercial interests and even by the late 80s, despite no new material to speak of, it was obviously a busy little industry.

No news of a third volume but as a diarist myself I look forward to it.

I will have to try this ... a couple of months ago I read Eric Idle's The Greedy Bastard Diaries: A Comic Tour of America. Fun stuff ... also some nice bits about Canada too.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..