Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-06-2012, 22:22   #661
Super Moderator

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

"Blue Monday - Fats Domino and the Lost Dawn of Rock 'n' Roll" by Rick Coleman - a biography of the Great Man, his roots in New Orleans and his career up to the present day. Fascinating stuff but amongst Accywebbers, probably only of interest to Cashy apart from myself.
Old 25-06-2012, 22:26   #662

I love any music biography Wynonie. I'm quite a dab hand at Blueberry Hill on piano but I can't sing it like the big fella
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 22:33   #663
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
I love any music biography Wynonie. I'm quite a dab hand at Blueberry Hill on piano but I can't sing it like the big fella
In that case, I would recommend it to you, mate. Only about a fiver on Amazon and a reet good read!
Old 25-06-2012, 22:37   #664
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claytoner40 View Post
Don't let it bother yeh, No one can sing it like the "Fat Man"
Old 26-06-2012, 18:26   #665
I am Banned

Maybe it's just me, but I see the film first, and then want to read the book. Recently, I have been reading:

Graham Green, The Third Man
Michael Ondaatie, The English Patient
Bernard Schlink, The Reader

And I always have this close by....

Baltasar Gracian, The Art of Worldly Wisdom
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2012, 18:49   #666
Resting In Peace

Well I am reading Jewish Manchester by Bill Williams, an illustrated history of the Manchester Jewish community, the largest in Britain outside London. Also watching Strictly Kosher on ITV yesterday and today, about the area today. When I used to go Manchester on the bus a lot in the sixties I was fascinated by all the shops in that area as we passed on the bus. As it was usually Saturday there were however not many people about.

Just finished 1066 and Rather More, a walk through history, by Huon Mallalieu, where he describes his re-creation of the journey by King Harold's army after their victory at the battle of Stamford Bridge near York, as they travelled south to meet William's forces at the battle of Hastings. He managed to do the walk as quickly as they did and ended up at Hastings on the anniversary day of the battle, 14 October. The book contains many asides about points and people of interest along the way and is a good light read.
Old 29-06-2012, 18:37   #667
I am Banned

I watched "Out of Africa" (1985) last week and realized that Karen Blixen and Denys Finch- Hatton were early members of the "Happy Valley" crowd in British East Africa (Kenya) after World War I and in the early 1920s. I don't think they were part of the wild party scene, though. Also, "White Mischief" (1987) with Charles Dance and Greta Scacchi is another film set in that era - and it deals with the murder of Josslyn Hay, the philandering Earl of Erroll and the susequent trial and acquittal of Sir 'Jock' Delves Broughton in 1941.

So I went on Amazon.com and got "The Temptress: The Scandalous Life of Alice De Janze and the Mysterious Death of Lord Erroll", by Paul Spicer. Spicer thinks that Alice pulled the trigger and killed her lover. I only just began reading the book last night.
Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 16:25   #668
God Member

Vril: The Power of the Coming Race by Edward Bulwer-Lytton

Edward Bulwer-Lytton, 1st Baron Lytton - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"Its story of a subterranean race waiting to reclaim the surface of the Earth is an early science fiction theme. The book popularised the Hollow Earth theory and may have inspired Nazi mysticism His term "vril" lent its name to Bovril meat extract" (bovine vril)

You may have heard of the Vril Society – 20th century german occultists – who considered the book to be NON fiction, and may be the reasoning behind Hitler’s fascination with ancient societies and the occult.

Regardless of whether it is fact or fiction it is a reasonably interesting read once you get used to the flowery 19th century use of language.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 20:13   #669
Junior Member+

Reading Charles Dickens at the moment. I have read Bleak House, Hard Times and I am three quarters through A Tale of Two Cities which is very good.
ocuana1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:03   #670
Resting in Peace

Nearly finished reading the ........The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy.
very funny book
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:57   #671
Senior Member+

Mark Billingham , From the Dead
Old 09-07-2012, 10:05   #672
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
i have been wondering if there is audiobook versions of game of thrones....the series is quite good and, well-- Usually the Book version is better than the film version
Just finished this book myself, Restless. Was in a pile my son brought me. Thought it was going to be a 'man book' at first, but had me enthralled.

Leaves you hanging at the end, however, didn't realise there is a Series 2 .... oh yes, and has been made into a film version by the Americans. Can't get in UK on their playback ... son has the DVDs so looking forward to watching this.

Got a little mixed up with all the families .... the Appendix listing them all was at the back of the book. Of course didn't see it until I had turned the last page....
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:11   #673
God Member

Was getting to grips with a Nintendo thing that I've just inherited yesterday-latest colour model. Thught it waa just games but it actually goes on internet and has a camera etc. Discovered that it also hs a library of 100 classic books contained in it. Bit like a smaller version of a Kindle. Started re-reading Sons and Lovers BY DHLawrence to give it a try -was surprised to find I liked it,whizzed through the first chapter no time, touch screen to turn pages, bookmark etc. May conside a Kindle now for the future -people I know rave about them...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:29   #674
Beacon of light

I love my Kindle...especially for bedtime reading......even the weightiest tome weighs hardly anything at all.
Oh and Dianne........I loved the Kate Atkinson book 'Behind the Scenes at the Museum' I finished it about a week ago.....and was sad. Quite bereft at bedtime. The next book I chose to read felt a great anticlimax after that one.....lightweight, substandard almost.
I have lent the book to a friend with the instruction to return it - or else.
I will definitely read it again...and look out for more by her.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 13:38   #675
God Member

Glad you liked the book Margaret - can be hard to recommend them as w all have different tastes. Of hers I've read a couple of others but was a bit disappointed with them -especially the ones with a PI called Jackson Brodie...but don't let me put you off!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..