Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-05-2012, 17:41   #646

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Finally a shop in my town that sells books in English. I just bought "Deaf Sentence" by David Lodge, about a retired Prof. who is going deaf. Only just started it and it's very funny
sm_counsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-06-2012, 22:01   #647
Senior Member+

I am currently reading Resident Evil Zero Hour

Zero Hour by S.D. Perry - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

It is a novelization of the Resident evil video game of the same title
Old 07-06-2012, 22:04   #648

Warrior Against His Will by J Koettgen. A WW1 biography from a German soldier. All British imperialists should read it
Claytoner40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:20   #649
God Member

Childhood Interrupted by Kathleen O'malley, its about a young child growing up under the cruel regime of the sisters of mercy In Ireland (the nuns also ran The Magdalene Homes)
Old 08-06-2012, 08:27   #650
Common Sense Member

On Royalty by Jeremy Paxman

royalty.JPG

A book on the monarchy written from the point of view of a republican. As you would expect from Paxman, this book is extremely well written and researched, veering off into the histories of other European countries and beyond in search of why royals have such an effect on the populace. He is blase about the fact that he has met the Queen, Princess Diana, etc. and yet confesses to a strange unaccountable feeling of awe when he actually came face to face with them.

Interesting stuff, especially to a royalist and at this particular moment in history.

http://hyndburn-labour.blogspot.co.uk/ - Updates from the Hyndburn Labour Group
Ken Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:28   #651
Common Sense Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I am currently reading Resident Evil Zero Hour

Zero Hour by S.D. Perry - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

It is a novelization of the Resident evil video game of the same title
Just read a review of it, didn't even know there were any Resident Evil books! I am a huge fan of the very first game, to which this would appear to be a prequel, but you've got me intrigued now. I'm off to track down the seven books in the series!

Old 08-06-2012, 18:15   #652
Senior Member+

Yes! I started off with resident evil 2 on ps1 and it remains to this day my favourite in the series. There a few different Resident Evil books out there by different authors, but I was most intrigued by the idea of novelizations of the actual games. I am looking forward to reading the books that correspond to the Resident evil 2 and 3 games. The books are not that long, I am half way through Zero Hour and I am enjoying it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Moss View Post
Just read a review of it, didn't even know there were any Resident Evil books! I am a huge fan of the very first game, to which this would appear to be a prequel, but you've got me intrigued now. I'm off to track down the seven books in the series!
Old 08-06-2012, 20:53   #653
Beacon of light

Stairlift to Heaven by Terry Ravenscroft
The first chapter had me crying with laughter. This man wrote the scripts for Les Dawson.
The book is more like reading a diary or a blog....so you can pick chapters out of it at random. A very light read......makes me chuckle.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37   #654
God Member

Trying to re-read One by David Nicholls - he's a master with dialogue. Met him in Cremona last weekend at a lit. festival - really nice guy.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 14:36   #655
Common Sense Member

Elisabeth Sladen - The Autobiography

books_ElisabethSladenAutobiography[8].jpg

Obviously, a rather Doctor Who oriented book but there are lots of stories about her stage career and a few revelations about the people she worked with on the show which are more frank than I would have expected. A very easy and enjoyable read for those who grew up with her on television.

Old 25-06-2012, 14:38   #656
God Member

Call The Midwife - Jennifer Worth
Old 25-06-2012, 19:54   #657
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Call The Midwife - Jennifer Worth
Oh....I loved that book...read it over and over.
Old 25-06-2012, 19:59   #658
Beacon of light

I have just read Lilians Story the story of a woman born on the fist day of 1900......it is fiction, but details events in a factual way. I loved it. I felt like I was part of her family.......I could hear the bombs dropping in the blitz and taste the plaster dust....all from the safety of my bed. Those are the kind of adventures I like.
I was sorry when the book was finished.
I have just started(on Mobertol's recommendation) a Kate Atkinson book....Behind the Scenes at the Museum.
Old 25-06-2012, 21:26   #659
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I have just read Lilians Story the story of a woman born on the fist day of 1900......it is fiction, but details events in a factual way. I loved it. I felt like I was part of her family.......I could hear the bombs dropping in the blitz and taste the plaster dust....all from the safety of my bed. Those are the kind of adventures I like.
I was sorry when the book was finished.
I have just started(on Mobertol's recommendation) a Kate Atkinson book....Behind the Scenes at the Museum.
Hope you aren't disappointed Margaret - it's one of those I can re-read -som laugh out loud moments...

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2012, 21:33   #660
Beacon of light

I am enjoying it Dianne. I also read another one of hers recently...'Started Early, Took my Dog' that was a strange read, but I did find it interesting.
I am on the lookout for her books in the charity shops.....and I gift them back when I have read them...can't do that with the Kindle(although I'm not complaining)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..