Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2008, 21:06   #1

Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Once again i'm not sure if there is already a thread about this but i'm sure the mods will move it for me if there is.
I love a good read and have loads of books of all types.
I wondered what everybody was reading at the moment?
Bonny x
bonny_tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-08-2008, 21:11   #2
God Member

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

i love books that are true, i HATE fiction

i love reading about the Kray Twins, Murder, true crime and criminal psychology are my thing, trying to get into other peoples minds to see what makes them tick has always enthrolled me
Old 03-08-2008, 21:13   #3
Passed away 25-11-09

"Spike", a look at the real Spike Milligan by his secretary/manager, Norma Farnes.
Old 03-08-2008, 21:18   #4
Senior Member+

Good thread and one I was thinking about creating a few days ago.

I read quite a lot and have always enjoyed it, ever since I was a little lad. However, I was looking at a list of the top 100 books of all time and I realised that I'd only read 21 of the books on the list!! Now I know these lists are flawed and this one wasn't really up to much, but it made me want to read a few more 'classics', so that's what I've been doing over the last couple of weeks.

I've recently just finished reading The Great Gatsby , which I really enjoyed and I have been reading Frankenstein for the last couple of nights. So far, so good.
Old 03-08-2008, 21:22   #5

Five Go To Smugglers Top...cant put the ****** down
Old 03-08-2008, 21:26   #6
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Five Go To Smugglers Top...cant put the ****** down

Enid Blyton hey Ste? havent you grown up yet? lol
Old 03-08-2008, 21:29   #7
God Member

Fiction - Stephen King - Lisey's Story
non fiction -Jeffrey J Stuart - 'Could it be B12?, An Epidemic of Misdiagnosis'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 21:30   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
Enid Blyton hey Ste? havent you grown up yet? lol
Was just kiddin bout that one
Old 03-08-2008, 21:32   #9

For some strange reason I fell out with reading not read since last Autumn. Have probably 20 or so books waiting to be read various authors (donated by me neighbour) Into Stephen King myself, most recent read of his was The Drawing of the Three. Second book in his Dark Tower Series, liked it so bought the rest of the series on Accy market, not read them tho.

Last book I actually read was by Dean Koontz, By The Light of the Moon…..I really have to start reading again, maybe when winter starts to kick in.
Old 03-08-2008, 21:32   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnyboy View Post
Was just kiddin bout that one

you tell fibs too
Old 03-08-2008, 21:40   #11

Some good reads there, even the Enid Blighton lol.
I have to say though, that for some reason I dont like Stephen Kings style. I have read the Lisey's Story one, but when it first came out and cant for the life of me remember much about it. Ive got quite a few of his books but I have given up on them now and don't think i will bother reading any more by him. Even though he is so popular and I know he spins a really good story but its his style that bugs me a little. Have you got many of his Margaret?
I am of the same bent as Flashy, I like the true crime and psychology books and have quite a few myself.
I had compiled some lists with a view to selling some of my books, but when it came to the crunch, i couldnt part with them.
Bonny x
Old 03-08-2008, 21:41   #12
God Member

Reading Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince.

Second time I've read it and I'm just working myself through the whole set again. The first time I read them all I read them in the wrong order (4, 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7) with a huge gap in between 5, 6 and 7. So thought I'd read them so that they made sense as a set.

My daughter is reading the second Harry Potter book for the fifth time! She gets to the end of the seventh and then starts all over again.

I've just taken part in a book ring. Quite a good idea - my friend sent me the instructions and I had to send them on to six more people along with a list with just two addresses on, my friends and mine. I had to send one book to the person who sent the instructions to my friend. The people who I sent it to had to send one book to my friend and then they had to send the instructions on with my name and just their names on the list. In theory, for the price of one book I should get 36 in return. I'll let you know how it works out.

The views expressed within this post are mine and mine alone.

Gayle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 21:43   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny_tuesday View Post
Some good reads there, even the Enid Blighton lol.
I have to say though, that for some reason I dont like Stephen Kings style. I have read the Lisey's Story one, but when it first came out and cant for the life of me remember much about it. Ive got quite a few of his books but I have given up on them now and don't think i will bother reading any more by him. Even though he is so popular and I know he spins a really good story but its his style that bugs me a little. Have you got many of his Margaret?
I am of the same bent as Flashy, I like the true crime and psychology books and have quite a few myself.
I had compiled some lists with a view to selling some of my books, but when it came to the crunch, i couldnt part with them.
Bonny x
I have read most of them, but prefer Dean Koontz for writing style
I dont like the Dark Tower series at all

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 21:45   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by West Ender View Post
"Spike", a look at the real Spike Milligan by his secretary/manager, Norma Farnes.

Read one of his last year…think it was Rommel? Gunner Who?: A Confrontation in the Desert

Enjoyed the read...flippin loony
Old 03-08-2008, 21:48   #15

I agree totally there Margaret, Dean Koontz to Stephen King any day.
I have to admit that I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, probably because I dont have young children. I read Philip Pullman's though. Very good they are too, very imaginative but there was some controversy about them being a bit too subliminally religious.
Bonny x

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..