Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 08:13   #31

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

God I read anything and everything! Thriller, horrors, biographies, chcklit, anything that I can get my head into.

Flashy, if you like the bios, try Lenny Mcleans 'The Guvnor', and Roy "Pretty Boy" Shaw (cant remember the title of his). Another great biography is Gordon Ramseys. I have nothing but admiration sice reading that one.

Thrillers, Jeffrey Deaver is amazing. The twists in his books are untrue, but all make sense in the end. Kinda like Murder she wrote but with a point! lol

Chicklit, Fiona Walker is so far my fave. Only read one duff one out of all of hers. 'Kiss Chase' is a great one to start with.

My God, I am a closet nerd. I have to read eveynight before I go to sleep. Winds me down, but once i get into a good book, I find it hard to put it down, to the point where I get crammed if i get disturbed lol. I always say i Never have time to watch a dvd, but give me a book and i'm happy as!

My dad actually gave me the Chris Moyles autobiography and Gordon Ramseys book 2 days before my brithday last year. Read them both before it was actually my birthday tho lol
onlyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2008, 08:32   #32

Its not hard to spot that your a proper addict!! lol.
It seems there are a lot of us on here who love to read.
I'm really enjoying the thread and looking up the books everybody is mentioning, so keep it going please.
Bonnyx
bonny_tuesday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 08:49   #33
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker View Post
At the moment I'm reading The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky
I always find Dostoyevsky pretty hard going. I recognise his talent, but it's not something you can relax into. It took me ages to read Notes From Underground, which was a really interesting concept, but frustrating to read.

Talking of The Idiot, did you see last week's Culture Show? Mark Kermode interviewed the controversial theatre director Katie Mitchell, whose new play 'Some Trace of Her' is based around the Dostoyevsky tale. The production is a combination of filmed footage and live action on the stage. A really interesting idea and something I'd actually like to see.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:03   #34
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANNE View Post
I havn't done any book reading for a long time. One of my all time favorites is The Fluke by Stephen King.
I think you better read it again Anne "The Fluke" was by James Herbert
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 09:33   #35
Super Moderator

Like Mr C, I enjoy reading books about the music I listen to. My current read is "Sweet Soul Music - Rhythm & Blues and the Southern Dream of Freedom" by Peter Guralnick...all about 60's soul and the surroundings it grew out of.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:42   #36
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny_tuesday View Post
I agree totally there Margaret, Dean Koontz to Stephen King any day.
I have to admit that I haven't read any of the Harry Potter books, probably because I dont have young children. I read Philip Pullman's though. Very good they are too, very imaginative but there was some controversy about them being a bit too subliminally religious.
Bonny x
I have read every book Dean Koontz has written, in fact I've just got his latest book on my desk at this moment "The Darkest Evening of the Year" I also read some of Stephen Kings, l love James Parterson, John Saul, Tom Clancy, Richard Laymon, Lee Child (the Jack Reacher novels). At the moment I'm reading Crystal Skull by Manda Scott, which is a bit different.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:48   #37
Resting in Peace

I have mentioned this before but if you like reading try the Green Metropolis, its a swap shop for books in as much as you can by any paperbacks for £3.75p including postage, and they will by books of you. Books are usually in pretty good nick and they have a huge selection, worth a look
Old 04-08-2008, 09:55   #38
God Member

amazon do a great selection of books, all at cheap prices too, i have had a few from them over the years

i tend to get my books from Asda or on the market
Old 04-08-2008, 10:46   #39
Senior Member+

I like anything to do with crime, dont ask me why, i like Miinette Walkers, Patricia Cornwell Mary Higgins Clark.
At the minute im reading true life books though, im reading Unbeaten, is from Kim something( cant spell it), the woman from How Clean Is Your House?, really good book, bought it on saturday and is nearly finish, im also reading at Cupcake wich is another book about true storie life.
Yolanda25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:47   #40
Senior Member+

It's great to see so many people enjoying reading, especially when we're constantly being told that we only watch TV and play console games nowadays.

If this is a snapshot of the people of Accrington and surrounding areas, then the interest is definitely there and I'm surprised that there isn't any kind of proper 'book club' in the area. I asked about this a couple of years ago, but there was nothing around at the time. I know they have something of the kind at Blackburn library, but they tend to be during the day times.
I have a few friends who live in Lancaster and a couple of them attend book clubs and really enjoy reading and discussing the latest read. I know Lancaster has a different demographic to Hyndburn, but it still surprises me that an area of the size doesn't have such a group/s.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58   #41
Beacon of light

The Skull Mantra by Eliot Pattison......a headless corpse, a disgraced investigator and a conspiracy of silence.

Sophie's World by Jostein Gaardner.......I have read this before and I am re-reading it.
It isn't a relaxing read as it poses some challenging philosophical questions....definitely not bedtime reading...unless you want to stay awake all night untangling the philosophical questions.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58   #42
God Member

For people on limited incomes who may be reluctant to spend money on books, I have found that the Lancashire library service is doing a good job
TalisPrism
It does not provide for people in Blackburn with Darwen, but for the rest of us -
-you can search for a book by title and/or author and see which branch libraries have it on the shelf, and if out on loan, see when it is due back.
- you can reserve a book and get it moved to your local branch for collection
- you can renew it twice on line

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 12:22   #43
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonny_tuesday View Post
I had to do a search for that one!! lol, So is it a psychological thriller based on detective work? Is it any good?
Where does everybody get their books from? Ebay, Waterstones, Market? Ordinary Book shops, Swaps?????
Bonny x
gay, black, l.a. cop
teams up with a semi retired psychologist
quite a few books based on the two IMO a good read
usaly read horror but these are a good change

like i've never been gone
beechy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 15:25   #44
Loz

I'm on a big Terry Pratchett kick at the moment.
Just read about 10 of his Discworld novels in the past few weeks.
Brilliant definately my favourite author!
Old 04-08-2008, 15:47   #45
Senior Member+

At the moment I'm reading Stephen King's The Green Mile
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..