Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2009, 00:48   #181
God Member

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Just picked up a nice hard cover copy of the illustrated version of Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" .... only $4.99 at Chapters .... for those who like coloring, I'm sorry to say that the pictures are already colored.
I have that - bought when it was a best seller - couldn't make moss nor sand of it - and by now that theory has been superceded by 'string theory'
decided that I don't need to get knotted with that one

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 05-02-2009, 04:53   #182
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I have that - bought when it was a best seller - couldn't make moss nor sand of it - and by now that theory has been superceded by 'string theory'
Something I've often wondered about , how many of the millions who bought that book actually finished it , I even had it on tape (literature for simpletons)bought at a flea market, think I managed to get to tape #5 of 8 before I gave up .
Other best selling books which I never managed to finish were "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanence" and "Catch 22"
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:43   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Something I've often wondered about , how many of the millions who bought that book actually finished it , I even had it on tape (literature for simpletons)bought at a flea market, think I managed to get to tape #5 of 8 before I gave up .
Other best selling books which I never managed to finish were "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintanence" and "Catch 22"
Aquote from a character in Ronnie Barker,s PORRIDGE

I READ A BOOK ONCE,GREEN IT WAS!

PARKY IS NOT A BAD READ[FOR A YORKSHIRE MAN]
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 10:04   #184
Give, give, give member

Just finished two theatrical biographies, that I got as Christmas presents.

Biggins, absolute rubbish. Numerous mistakes and inconstancies. Feel it was rushed out to cash on winning I'm a Celebrity.

Paul O'Grady's At My Mother's Knee, brilliant. Warm, funny, packed with background charcaters. It ends on a cliffhanger, his mother's heart attack, his father's death from a heart attack brought on by his wife's, and his on/off girlfriend announcing she was pregnant. Quite a day.

Really hope and look forward to reading the next installment.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 17:14   #185
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It's a fascinating read: Love the bits about Schrodinger's cat ... But it is a book one may have to read with google at hand ... I think google, or whatever one uses, is a great boon to those who find footnotes and cross refs. confusing and irritatingly sparse. Isacc Azimov's "Atom: A Journey accross the Sub-Atomic Cosmos" is also a great read for those who have some interest in the history of atomic theory, and some hints on where it might lead.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 17:15   #186
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
What about "War and Peace" and "Paradise Lost"
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 17:33   #187

Nation by Terry Pratchett
And can't wait for Raymond E Feists next installment to his fantasy serious due out in April WOOOh!!!
Old 09-02-2009, 17:19   #188
Senior Member+

Just Finished two books about Kenneth Williams, and am reading Parky at the moment, which is very good!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 17:57   #189
God Member

Katie Price - Jordan Pushed To The limit
Old 09-02-2009, 19:24   #190
God Member

I'm currently reading...

Of Mice and Men - Steinbeck,
The Sorrows of Young Werther - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
The economic naturalist - Why economics explains everything - Robert H Frank
The Myth of Sisyphus - Albert Camus
Oilopoly - Marshall Goldman

And a huge pile of various law and philosophy books which cause me no end of pain (in some cases actual physical pain, they can get heavy!)
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:18   #191
Full Member+

just give me a good historical romance
all that mushy stuff LOL
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 21:50   #192
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by black_flights View Post
Nation by Terry Pratchett
And can't wait for Raymond E Feists next installment to his fantasy serious due out in April WOOOh!!!
If you are into fantasy books I can heartily recommend the Shannara series by Terry Brooks. The Sword of Shannara, The Elfstones of Shannara and The Wishsong of Shannara are thoroughly absorbing reads that have been around for some time. Terry Brooks also wrote a prequel to the series entitled The Scions of Shannara. Well worth a look if you haven't already encountered them. They have often been compared with Tolkiens Lord of The Rings, but I found them better and uncomplicated to read

Happy reading . . . Stumped.

Last edited by Stumped; 17-02-2009 at 21:52.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2009, 20:29   #193

Ive just finished Dear fatty by Dawn French.
It is a really good book and made me laugh out loud on many occasions.
Im now back to reading Lord of the rings.
mumtotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 14:59   #194
jem

i have just finished stephen king "IT" not as gd as the film but it was ok
Old 19-02-2009, 16:16   #195
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtotwo View Post
Ive just finished Dear fatty by Dawn French.
It is a really good book and made me laugh out loud on many occasions.
Im now back to reading Lord of the rings.
Lord of the Rings bored me half to death when I started reading it and I just had to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem View Post
i have just finished stephen king "IT" not as gd as the film but it was ok
I find the ending so utterly disappointing. I keep picking up Needful Things, getting a third of the way through and then forgetting about it for months and having to start again. I will eventually read it from cover to cover and then I will finally know how it ends. I saw the film was on telly once and refused to watch it because I don't want to know the plot.

Tempting though.

I never seem to get through books cover to cover any more.

I've been reading Sarah Kane's Complete Plays recently. Not for the faint-hearted.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..