Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2009, 20:22   #226
God Member

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

An e book downloaded free here
Adyashanti - Ebook - Emptiness Dancing (Complete).pdf
I happened to stumble on these video lectures
YouTube - Adyashanti

and had a 'wow' moment.
What a beautiful soul this man has

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-07-2009, 07:24   #227

Iquite like Terry Pratchett though he can get a bit samey, reading Making Money ATM favorite one was Good Omens though
Rastus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:30   #228
God Member

"Mission Song" ... John Le Care .... and when I finish it tomorrow, I will have read all of his novels.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 04:47   #229
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
"Mission Song" ... John Le Care .... and when I finish it tomorrow, I will have read all of his novels.
Do you reccomend it ? last few books seem to have " lost the plot " the early stuff 'smileys people, tinker tailor soldier spy' etc were real page turners , think the last I read was 'the Constant Gardener'.

as a thread wander, in my opinion , as is the usual case for any decent book* , all his books which have been made into movies have with the exception of the BBC productions (Alec Guiness as George Smiley) have been total cow dung

* possible exception, Harry Potter , never read the books , but enjoyed the movies on DVD
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 16:53   #230
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeljack View Post
Do you reccomend it ? last few books seem to have " lost the plot " the early stuff 'smileys people, tinker tailor soldier spy' etc were real page turners , think the last I read was 'the Constant Gardener'.

as a thread wander, in my opinion , as is the usual case for any decent book* , all his books which have been made into movies have with the exception of the BBC productions (Alec Guiness as George Smiley) have been total cow dung

* possible exception, Harry Potter , never read the books , but enjoyed the movies on DVD
I don't know if I give it a ringing endorsement (excuse the cliche) ... but it is worth a read ... I picked up my copy at Chapters for under five bucks; and I got my money's worth.
Old 20-07-2009, 00:30   #231
God Member

obituary of Frank McCourt author of Angelas Ashes and Tis , both good reads

Frank McCourt - Telegraph
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2009, 09:08   #232
Resting in Peace

Have just got Dan Koontz latest offering "Your Heat Belongs to Me" will report on it shortly
Old 25-07-2009, 23:49   #233

A love letter from a former flame which i found as i opened Roddy Doyles "Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha, 1999 seems so long ago.
spex357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2009, 18:23   #234
God Member

Len Deighton: "Goodbye Mickey Mouse"; finally got around to reading this ... and I'm glad I did.
Old 30-07-2009, 20:49   #235
God Member

Just started another one I bought cheap at Chapters: looks like it will be a good read, esp. for fans of "Dune". Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson: "The Butlerian Jihad."
Old 30-07-2009, 21:24   #236
God Member

Paddy Doyle - The God Squad
Old 02-08-2009, 15:43   #237
Senior Member+

Going through a Graham Greene phase and at the moment I'm reading The End of the Affair. Quite a short book, but beautifully written.
Old 03-08-2009, 18:56   #238
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin Monkey View Post
Going through a Graham Greene phase and at the moment I'm reading The End of the Affair. Quite a short book, but beautifully written.
A great book ... I like "Brighton Rock", but "Travels With My Aunt" is my favorite.

Finished the "Butlerian Jihad" and now I'm on to "House Atreides" .... great stuff.
Old 03-08-2009, 19:16   #239
God Member

Brighton Rock is brilliant.
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:51   #240

reading... VACCINES, AUTISM AND CHILDHOOD DISORDERS - CRUCIAL DATA by NEIL Z MILLER (for research)

also reading...... Brave New World - Aldous Huxley (for fun)

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..