Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-02-2010, 13:53   #361
Full Member+

Re: Bookworms: What are you reading at the moment?

Have exhausted all Lee Child's enjoyable 'Jack Reacher' thrillers to date and have embarked on the first of several 'Charlie -Bird-Parker' novels by John Connelly. Somewhat darker than the Reacher novels and less simplistic in content, but nonetheless readable.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-02-2010, 16:34   #362
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
'Revelation' by C J Sansome....a lovely read. A hunchback lawyer turned detective on the trail of a serial killer in Tudor London...plot, suspense, description...all suberb. Fourth book so far in the series.
This sounds good .... will give it a read, and the rest of the series .... seems like it might be like the "Brother Cadfael" series, and that was great reading.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 19:10   #363
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
This sounds good .... will give it a read, and the rest of the series .... seems like it might be like the "Brother Cadfael" series, and that was great reading.
Start with 'Dissolution', then 'Dark Fire', 'Sovereign' and then 'Revelation'.

It's Cadfael with brains....an English 'Name of the Rose'.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2010, 20:58   #364
God Member

Oh, it's Sansom (without the 'e').
Old 22-02-2010, 16:48   #365
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Oh, it's Sansom (without the 'e').
Ta .... found that out ... the local Chapters has the books in stock .... will take a trip out today.
Old 22-02-2010, 23:03   #366
God Member

Well, enjoy the read, Eric. I would not normally post my preferred reading matter on this site - in fact, this is the first time I have done so - had it not been for a peculiar meeting about 10 days ago. So here is the tale.

I was at a party over the other side of London - the usual stuff - canapés, Pinot Grigio, the occasional F-word just to shock - typically, very middle-class southern liberal, with a fair sprinkling of academia in there. I was just about to swap telephone numbers with this very tasty, divorced, tall and very curvy Polish wench, when I was interrupted by this American character more under the influence of alcohol than I was.

The reason for the interruption was someone had mentioned that I was from Accy and he wanted to know if that had any connection with 'Old Accrington in Lanca-Shire'.

'Aye', I replied, almost choking on my green olive 'Why do you ask....you a Stanley fan?'

Now I must admit that at this point I was somewhat distracted my female companion putting her hand where she should not have; However, this gentleman then proceeded to tell me that although he had been involved in verifying manuscript extracts which may or may not (and I can't remember the exact story) have originated from Mary Shelley's papers deposited at the Bodlian in Oxford.

From what I recall - and I do wish I had had less to drink - these manuscripts amounted to the best part of two missing chapters of Shelley's 'The Modern Prometheus' - better known, of course, as 'Frankenstein'. Now, while it is many years since I read that book - I am much more familiar with Boris Karloff or the Hammer interpretation - I do know that it can be readily interpreted as an allegory to the evils of industrialisation.

What then, were these chapters supposedly about? Well, about two thirds of the way through the published book, Frankenstein - followed closely by his monster - arrives in England and then proceeds to Matlock, in Derbyshire. That stay, in the original text involves little mention and neither does the stay in the Lakes. But these extracts, - according to my confidant, amounting to some 4000 words - describe Frankenstein’s stay in Old Accrington.

I would normally have had a good laugh over this, but then by friend pulled out of his pocket a photocopied A4 sheet...just about 500 words, in great, flowing script, and sure enough, there was 'Old Accy' in there.
Old 23-02-2010, 00:09   #367
God Member

Just started "Dissolution" .... C J Sansom ....
Old 26-02-2010, 22:55   #368
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Pirate King finished (R.A.Salvatore) about to start "The Ether Zone" about U.S. Army special forces Det B 52 Project Delta (Recon teams) by R.C.Morris
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2010, 19:16   #369
Senior Member+

well, just finished Julie walters autobiography which was very interesting, now onto Dawn French - Dear Fatty its a strange way of writing an autobiography is writing a series of letters to people but its humourous and touching and so far its a good read.
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:18   #370

I have just picked up the book The Biography of Susan Boyle from Asda...easy reading but a good read I think
Grange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 13:15   #371
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grange View Post
I have just picked up the book The Biography of Susan Boyle from Asda...easy reading but a good read I think
I hope you didn't pay much.
I imagine it will be smaller than the book of Italian war heroes.
We are told she has led a 'sheltered life'

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 20:39   #372
Beacon of light

Bill Bryson......A Short History of Almost Everything.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 11:27   #373
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumped View Post
Have exhausted all Lee Child's enjoyable 'Jack Reacher' thrillers to date and have embarked on the first of several 'Charlie -Bird-Parker' novels by John Connelly. Somewhat darker than the Reacher novels and less simplistic in content, but nonetheless readable.
I have only recently discovered the Reacher thrillers and agree they are most enjoyable
groove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 14:42   #374
God Member

Charles Bukowski - Factotum
shakermaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 18:41   #375
Full Member+

Not neccessary to read the Jack Reacher novels in order, but advisable as individual plots tend to hark back to specific characters and experiences as featured in previous outings. Have finished my first Charlie 'Bird' Parker novel which tended to skip about between plots, but am well into the second one which is just as 'dark' but much easier to follow. His gay associates, Angel and Louie are brilliantly characterised as both have plenty of skeletons in their own cupboards, hence their extraordinary ties with Parker.

Peter James 'Roy Grace' detective novels set in the south-east of England have been recommended to me. Have picked up a couple which I have put on hold for the time being.

Last edited by Stumped; 02-03-2010 at 18:50.
Stumped is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..