Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree81Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2014, 16:01   #31
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Re: Do you wear one and if so why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
I dont wear one. Not for any person reasons other than I don't like pinning/sticking stuff to me, never have done.
That is your choice, isn't it good to be allowed one?
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-11-2014, 16:28   #32
Senior Member+

Re: Do you wear one and if so why?

Putting money and not taking one is also a choice I make
Old 12-01-2015, 15:19   #33
Full Member+

I have an enamel pin and this year I bought the 1914-2014 pin in the British store I eat at.
US Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 19:55   #34
Senior Member+

A interesting read,I fully understand where "Harry" is coming from.

This year, I will wear a poppy for the last time | Harry Leslie Smith | Comment is free | The Guardian

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 20:07   #35
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

To be honest i will never understand some peoples reluctance to wear a poppy, they are a significance of "ALL" the people that fell and never came home, the conflict to me is irrelevant. its simply respecting those who fell.
Old 08-11-2015, 20:18   #36
God Member

I buy em in fact by the time its over i will have more than likely bought a few i just dont get round to sticking them on and when i do remember o stick on one they get lost throughout the day

sometimes i just put a quid in the collection pot or box

same way in which if i put something in a collection pot i say no thankyou to the sticker

its not a pride or shame of wearing one im simply clumbsy and forgetful

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 08-11-2015 at 20:21.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 20:59   #37
Beacon of light

This year I have bought four poppies....I have worn them for a couple of days and then they have dropped off my Jacket.......not that I am complaining.
I will NEVER give up wearing the poppy to signify my respect for those who did not come home to their families......because my dad did come home.
He was a changed man, but he came home.
cashman likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 18:00   #38
Senior Member+

I wear a red Poppy, I have done for as long as I can remember. I wear one in remembrance of all who have given their lives and to those who have had their lives irrevocably changed by injuries, both physical and mental, that they have endured. A few were friends who weren't as lucky as I.
I wear a Poppy in respect to all those who gave their all and to demonstrate my respect for the families of all those who have suffered through all the wars - the major conflicts and the brush fire wars. Nobody glorifies war, it is hateful, but respect the ones who served.
A question has been asked on how the Poppy should be worn - there is only one way. Wear it with pride.
Old 10-11-2015, 09:01   #39
Senior Member+

Remembering the fallen etc is all well and good...Wether you wear one or not is irrelevant in my eyes,I mean,why should there be just be the one special day for remembering them,Perhaps we should wear poppies all year round as a sign we'll never forget them?

I wonder how many of those who fought in WW1 & WW2 would do so if they knew that what they was fighting for wasn't freedom and helping to keep folk safe but for elite greed and power.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Old 10-11-2015, 09:54   #40
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Remembering the fallen etc is all well and good...Wether you wear one or not is irrelevant in my eyes,I mean,why should there be just be the one special day for remembering them,Perhaps we should wear poppies all year round as a sign we'll never forget them?

I wonder how many of those who fought in WW1 & WW2 would do so if they knew that what they was fighting for wasn't freedom and helping to keep folk safe but for elite greed and power.
politicians love a good poppy day they get to show their respect....

want to know what government really thinks of the men and women they send to fight take a look at how they treat them when they come home

a soldier can go from hero to thieving lazy cripple sponger in a heartbeat
Accyexplorer likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:08   #41
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

Jason, the best thing you could do is bow out of this thread as you still do not get it.

The men who fought in those conflicts you mention were not given a choice. They were conscripted men.

If you are unsure of the impiications of this, then I suggest you look it up and find out what happened to those men who did not present themselves to the appropriate service centre at the required time.

These men did NOT fight because war was honourable...but because their country was, and it required this of them.
They fought for the freedoms we have today......now, from what you have written it appears that you cannot see this.......and I fear that it doesn't matter how many times it is explained, or how it is explained, you will not get it.......that is really sad because if you don't get it how can we expect the youngsters growing up to respect the sacrifices made by young men for their freedom?
cashman, Eric, Gremlin and 1 others like this.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:27   #42
Senior Member+

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.

Im lucky to be allowed to grow old, the people we are remembering never got the chance.
DaveinGermany likes this.
Old 10-11-2015, 10:39   #43
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Jason, the best thing you could do is bow out of this thread as you still do not get it.

The men who fought in those conflicts you mention were not given a choice. They were conscripted men.

If you are unsure of the impiications of this, then I suggest you look it up and find out what happened to those men who did not present themselves to the appropriate service centre at the required time.

These men did NOT fight because war was honourable...but because their country was, and it required this of them.
They fought for the freedoms we have today......now, from what you have written it appears that you cannot see this.......and I fear that it doesn't matter how many times it is explained, or how it is explained, you will not get it.......that is really sad because if you don't get it how can we expect the youngsters growing up to respect the sacrifices made by young men for their freedom?
Yeh can't put sense where there is none margaret,
Eric, Gremlin and hilleluk like this.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:16   #44
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
politicians love a good poppy day they get to show their respect....

want to know what government really thinks of the men and women they send to fight take a look at how they treat them when they come home

a soldier can go from hero to thieving lazy cripple sponger in a heartbeat
I have to agree,those who send folk to war on the back of lies don't give a flying about ex-service personnel once they are of no use....for that we have the British Legion to thank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post

My point was that back in the day it wasn't as easy for folk to know the truth about war, there was no WWW,so folk relied heavily on the propaganda pumped by the MMS.Most folk who joined did so for what they thought were honourable reasons and I was just thinking how many of them would of took jail or whatever had they knew the truth about what they was fighting for...it may not seem that way but I'm on your side M......please don't take off your velvet glove

Your right,it's time for me to "bow out".....after a educational video.

Old 10-11-2015, 14:07   #45
Beacon of light

Propaganda.....the news service was not what it is now and many items related to the conflicts were not published as they were thought to be detrimental to the war effort or security.
As for the World wide web, there is much on the web that is skewed, biased or just plain rubbish.

I think you are wrong about the men of that era preferring jail to going out to fight.
There was an innate sense of pride for the country and a sense that such injustices as were forced on the world by the dictators could not be allowed to pass.
The men who fought did so for the freedoms which we enjoy.

War is never glorious, and there are no real victors...only survivors.
I am old enough to have been able to hear some of the stories told by the men who came back from the second world war.......my grandfather could not bear to talk about his experience in WW1.
No amount of 'educational videos' are going to persuade me of anything different........my judgement goes on my experience of those who were there and came back.....my family members. They were conscripted, but they did what they did because at the time it was the right thing to do.......they could not even know how the world would eventually turn out.
That is not to say their sacrifices were in vain, or that they should not e accorded the honours they earned.
I am glad that you are going to bow out of the thread.......you have added very little of any real use to it(and I say that with respect).
Gremlin and hilleluk like this.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..