Accrington Web
   

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.


Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!



Like Tree4Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 16:35   #76
Junior Member
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

hi , i think i may know you as i also lived at dyke nook from 1970 to 1979
i just took a vertual tour around the old place and was sad to see the extent of disrepair the grounds where in....
andreachadwick likes this.
paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-03-2011, 16:16   #77
Junior Member
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

i used to live in dyke nook when it was a childrens home. love that house.few harmless ghosts as well!!!!
nathanmelisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 12:17   #78
Senior Member+
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsie View Post
Hi David,

I too had family living there in the 19th century.

Cheers,
Robyn
Hi Robin, two years have passed since you replied to this posting. Are you still wanting info on the Barnes family? Have found a bit for you, quite by chance today.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 17:49   #79
Rest in Peace
 
claytonx's Avatar
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

I have read this post from start to now and really enjoyed all the posts. The problem I have is that having lived in Clayton -le-Moors for 25 years, and as a teenager walked nearly every Saturday night from Accy to Clayton along Whalley road and not always worse for ware never new that a Children's home was on there, and never new of Dyke Lodge. This is the early Fifty's.

Which is Dyke Lodge is that the large house at the bottom of Pilot St, if so where are the gardens that Gertrude Lawrence designed.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 18:40   #80
Resting in Peace
 
jaysay's Avatar
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I have read this post from start to now and really enjoyed all the posts. The problem I have is that having lived in Clayton -le-Moors for 25 years, and as a teenager walked nearly every Saturday night from Accy to Clayton along Whalley road and not always worse for ware never new that a Children's home was on there, and never new of Dyke Lodge. This is the early Fifty's.

Which is Dyke Lodge is that the large house at the bottom of Pilot St, if so where are the gardens that Gertrude Lawrence designed.
Not totally sure claytonx but in your days of walking along Whalley Road, it could still have been a private house, think it became a childrens home in the mid seventies, I get this feeling that the last tenant was a guy called Stubbs, could have been John Stubbs but I not sure
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 18:57   #81
Rest in Peace
 
claytonx's Avatar
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Not totally sure claytonx but in your days of walking along Whalley Road, it could still have been a private house, think it became a childrens home in the mid seventies, I get this feeling that the last tenant was a guy called Stubbs, could have been John Stubbs but I not sure
Good answer but not the one I am looking for.

There are a lot of large houses either side of the road from Oakleigh to the Greyhound pub some with very large gardens.
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 19:02   #82
Senior Member
 
Shurm's Avatar
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

its the big house on the left before Ribblesdale Ave coming from Clayton then there are a few cottages next to it up to the Ribblesdale junction.
claytonx likes this.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 19:19   #83
Senior Member+
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Hi, good description above from Shurm. Have you ever noticed where a lovely, detached house was completely knocked down in the past 12/18th mths (?) and a new larger but very modern, out of keeping, house, built in its place? Dyke Nook Lodge is next to it. Dyke Nook is a wonderful, now privately owned house, built in 1907and just oozing with character.
claytonx likes this.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 19:28   #84
Rest in Peace
 
claytonx's Avatar
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
its the big house on the left before Ribblesdale Ave coming from Clayton then there are a few cottages next to it up to the Ribblesdale junction.
Thanks Shurm. and Atarah
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 19:30   #85
Senior Member
 
Shurm's Avatar
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

No worries, the reason I don't think many people noticed it was because it had massive wooden gates at the front which were usually closed and a big high wall.

Last edited by Shurm; 07-05-2013 at 19:33.
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 21:29   #86
Senior Member+
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonx View Post
I have read this post from start to now and really enjoyed all the posts. The problem I have is that having lived in Clayton -le-Moors for 25 years, and as a teenager walked nearly every Saturday night from Accy to Clayton along Whalley road and not always worse for ware never new that a Children's home was on there, and never new of Dyke Lodge. This is the early Fifty's.

Which is Dyke Lodge is that the large house at the bottom of Pilot St, if so where are the gardens that Gertrude Lawrence designed.
Gertrude Lawrence was an actress. Gertrude Jekyll was the landscape architect .
claytonx likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 23:00   #87
Member
 

Smile Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi Robin, two years have passed since you replied to this posting. Are you still wanting info on the Barnes family? Have found a bit for you, quite by chance today.
Hi Atarah,

Still here.....still interested in anything of the Barnes family, all my years of research has confirmed my Barnes ancestors in Accrington and lots of links......
Would love to know of anything you've found
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 23:17   #88
Member
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by red rose View Post
my friend used to live in Whinside house - it is next door to the Crown inn. They lived there in the late 60s to early 80s and then it was sold and became a retirement home. I believe it has now been sold again and is back to a residencial unit again. Nice old house....
Whinside house was owned by Jonathan Barnes and his wife Mary Adeline nee Kenyon in 1890 and beyond. He was the son of Joseph and Ann Barnes who lived nearby in Dykenook house.....during the same period.

Cheers,
Robyn
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:42   #89
Senior Member+
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnsie View Post
Whinside house was owned by Jonathan Barnes and his wife Mary Adeline nee Kenyon in 1890 and beyond. He was the son of Joseph and Ann Barnes who lived nearby in Dykenook house.....during the same period.

Cheers,
Robyn
Hi Robyn, nice to know you are still interested in your family tree. I am just "worried" that what I stumbled on yesterday, you may already know of. Were you aware of or, have you seen the faded photo that one of your rellies who lived in Canada had in his possession, now perhaps his family has it. Its your Barnes family, photo taken outside Whinside. A huge area of what we know as Whalley Road was known as Dyke Nook, some of it known as Lower Dyke Nook, which is where the house known as Hirstwood stood. From a 1976 newspaper article which I found "by pure chance" yesterday, whilst looking for something else, I am able to give you lots of family detail! More to follow .....
Dyke Nook House was around the Marlborough Club area of Whalley Rd and demolished late 1930's.

Last edited by Atarah; 08-05-2013 at 05:49.
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 06:21   #90
Member
 

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atarah View Post
Hi Robyn, nice to know you are still interested in your family tree. I am just "worried" that what I stumbled on yesterday, you may already know of. Were you aware of or, have you seen the faded photo that one of your rellies who lived in Canada had in his possession, now perhaps his family has it. Its your Barnes family, photo taken outside Whinside. A huge area of what we know as Whalley Road was known as Dyke Nook, some of it known as Lower Dyke Nook, which is where the house known as Hirstwood stood. From a 1976 newspaper article which I found "by pure chance" yesterday, whilst looking for something else, I am able to give you lots of family detail! More to follow .....
Dyke Nook House was around the Marlborough Club area of Whalley Rd and demolished late 1930's.
Hi Atarah,

Thank you so much for thinking of me.....Yes, I do have that photograph, received it a while ago, showing Joseph and Ann and their children about 1856. Had to check the Tree and there it is.....
Looking forward to anything at all which you may think interesting, thanks again. By the by, I have written against this photograph, Whinside Lower Dyke Nook.
Do you know who the Canadian connection was? I know Frank Dennison Barnes and family came from BC......

His son wrote the following:
In the case of Dyke Nook there was Lower Dyke Nook, Dyke Nook Cottages & Dyke Nook itself and in 1909 or so MacAlpine built Dyke Nook Lodge.


Cheers Robyn
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools



Other sites of interest.. More town sites..




All times are GMT. The time now is 16:14.


2003-2013 AccringtonWeb.com


Page generated in 0.36179 seconds with 12 queries

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1