Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2007, 18:14   #31
Senior Member+

Re: DYKE NOOK, Whalley Road, Accrington

Hi Barnsie
There is no longer a graveyard at Christ Church;the headstones were removed years ago ;not sure what remains beneath the turf though; maybe contacting the Vicar there might shed some light;he has been incumbent there for a good number of years,Rev Kevin Logan. I wish you well on your mission;I had friends at Dyke Nook when it was a children's home and went in there a few times, the kids tended to get sent to my school ,St Mary Magdalen's, it was an awe inspiring building;one of my little mates there was an orphan and at the time I thought that she had a better deal than I with the fantastic house !
Old 18-02-2007, 20:43   #32

Thanks Lindsay,
This is most helpful.....it means I have to search burial records and not churchyards......
Cheers...
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 20:57   #33
Resident Waffler

The architecture of Dyke Nook is lovely. I've always loved that building and Haworth art gallery. Platts furnishings on Abbey Street and Gothic House in St James' Street are another couple of favourite of mine.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2007, 21:10   #34
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmee View Post
Have just seen this, a year after it was posted.... I helped to start this thread, way back..... My grandparents built Dyke Nook Lodge and employed Gertrude Jekyll to design the garden. I don't know if she visited it, but yes there are published plans (Tooley, M. and R., Gardens of Gertrude Jekyll in Northern England 1982; and Tooley, M.J. in Garden History Vol 8, No. 3 1980). Nothing remains today as far as I know, but my 92-year old mother (with her twin sister the youngest of the 8 Blake children) played in that garden as a child. She remembers Dyke Nook Lodge with enormous affection.
Incidentally, the house was built by the architect Walter Brierley, who also built the Art Gallery - which explains the similarity in the windows.
Does anyone know if the house has been restored - it was in the process when I last saw it, but I got the impression work had ground to a halt. I hope not!
The windows are still boarded up, dont know if there's work in progress, would be lovely as a single dwelling.
grego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 00:08   #35

Hi Junetta,
Do you have any Ann Yates in your tree?
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 00:14   #36
Senior Member+

Yes, Joaner3, I have an Ann Yates, born in Church, Lancashire in 1896. Parents are Ralph and Betty.

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 00:46   #37

My Ann Yates was born in 1812 and married Edward Eccles, they lived in Ossy, and had about 10 kids
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2007, 00:50   #38
Senior Member+

I'll look into it tomorrow. I have loads of Yates, some of whom I can't recall. I'll do some searching and come back to you x

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 18:42   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by grego View Post
The windows are still boarded up, dont know if there's work in progress, would be lovely as a single dwelling.
Well what a surprise to see that my son(6 yr old) was looking up Dyke Nook and low and behold DN has been talked about.

I along with my Father who purchased the house 4 years ago have been renovating it,hopefully back to its former glory! It is now 10/1/08 99% finished. My Mum and Dad hope to move in in March. It would have been last march but for issues with the sale of the family business.

So yes the answer to the question is it has been made into a single dwelling and if I can say for my father it is very lovely. No real pat on the back for me as I have been the labourer. My father David Rigg and various craftsmen have brought the house back to life with lots of love and attention to detail(and quite a bit of money). It is still boarded up for obvious reasons but behind those boards a lovely home now exists. Beware of the rather large dog and video cameras.

Regards
Darren
Devs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 19:38   #40
Resident Waffler

That's great to hear Darren. It's a lovely building and good to know it is going to be a family home again and well loved.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 20:30   #41
Senior Member+

That's great news ! I visited the house a few times when I was friends with an orphaned girl who lived there, she wasn't the happiest soul ( totally understandable) but the house was great and the folk looking after her were very kind. The house always had a good vibe about it and she felt safe there. ( sorry if that sounds daft but that what she said ).
Old 12-01-2008, 15:16   #42
Junior Member+

Hi Darren, Yes I had heard that your parents had been working on the house. They very kindly showed a cousin of mine around a few months ago and she reported that it was looking great! We descendants of Hubert & Marie Blake are delighted that the house is being so well looked after..... As I have said before, it was a much-loved family home. Long may it continue to be so!
cmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 19:11   #43

Hi everyone, If anyone out there's interested in Dyke Nook Cottages a Great Grandfather of mine lodged in one of them (there are three, aren't there?) for however long during the 1870s. My street map of Clitheroe shows a street named Dyke Nook - does the Accrington Dyke Nook have a connection with Clitheroe? Good Luck, David F.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 22:02   #44

Hi David,

Can you tell me the name of your ancestor who used live in the Dyke Nook cottages......
I too had family living there in the 19th century.

Cheers,
Robyn
barnsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 06:25   #45
Resting in Peace

I used to visit Dyke Nook evey six months back in the early 90s when I was on the LCC Social Services Liaison Committee, its a magnificent building and Im so pleased its being brought back to its original splender. I actually thought that John Stubbs, who owned Accrington Brush Works once lived there, but I may be wrong.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..